Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kt2fl

Summer blooms in Oklahoma

Kenny
10 years ago

It's been a while and I haven't uploaded any pictures of my blooms. Since the beginning of spring I have added quite a few interesting plumies to my collection from JJ, eBay, and the PSA sale in Houston. Some were bought ready to bloom and some started blooming from newly rooted plants.

Here are my blooms since June:

Raspberry Sundae from PSA Sale

{{gwi:1188924}}

Madame Poni (cutting rooted in Dec 2012)

{{gwi:1188925}}

Taj Mahal bought from JJ back in March. John helped me pick out this one and said it would bloom this season. He was right!

{{gwi:1188926}}

Kauka Wilder (newly rooted from Matt)

{{gwi:1188927}}

Vera Lutica (bought in the spring as rooted plant with inflo)

{{gwi:1188928}}

Duke (rooted with inflo) in the heat

{{gwi:1188929}}

Duke flower lasts a long time even in the heat

{{gwi:1188930}}

JJ Elsie bought from a nursery in Tulsa (thanks Mike for the info)

{{gwi:1188931}}

JJ Thai Jade also bought from local nursery

{{gwi:1188932}}

JJ Thumbalina bought from local nursery

{{gwi:1188933}}

Mardi Gras bloom in the heat

Elsie blooms in the heat
{{gwi:1188936}}

{{gwi:1188937}}

more Taj Mahal blooms at sunset

{{gwi:1188938}}

Taj Mahal inflo

{{gwi:1188939}}

I think Taj Mahal would make excellent potpourri, their faded blooms smell so intense

{{gwi:1188940}}

Duke in the lower 90s

{{gwi:1188941}}

Lemon Drop (from George at PSA sale) in the 90s...can't get enough of these flowers

{{gwi:1188942}}

Psycho!!! Thanks to Mike (mksmth) for this one and a very special thanks to Bill (tdogdad) for sharing this beauty with us Okies. It's one of my favorite whites. Such a generous bloomer and smells great!!

{{gwi:1188943}}

This is one of my favorites right now. Waimea has surprised me with its intense vibrant red color! Here's what it looks like in the 100s

We have a lot of rain recently in Oklahoma. Some of my plumies even bloomed! They must really love the rain!

{{gwi:1188945}}

Hurricane

{{gwi:1188946}}

This was bought from Derrick as Katherine Louise, but when the first bloom opened, it appears to be Nassau

{{gwi:1188947}}

Waimea in the rain

{{gwi:1188949}}

After the rain...

{{gwi:1188950}}

Both my phone and camera can't truly capture the vibrant red in these flowers

{{gwi:1188953}}

Hurricane after the rain

{{gwi:1188955}}

Moreno's Rainbow (from Derrick so I don't think it's the right one?)

{{gwi:1188956}}

Bloom preview for 2014? Lol I got this from a recent JL Farms shipment. I was excited when they told me there's an inflo...but by the time it arrived, the inflo has already withered and fallen off. I was able to salvage a half wilted bud and open it. Can you guess what this one is?

{{gwi:1188957}}

Here are some of my adeniums:

I got this from walmart last fall for under $7...it's putting out a lot of blooms this summer

{{gwi:1188958}}

Santa Claus from eBay

{{gwi:1188959}}

{{gwi:1188960}}

Siam Yellow (this is one tricky flower, I don't think I can get them to open on their own)

{{gwi:1188961}}

I forgot the name of this one. I think it's Dark Queen or something similar LOL. There's supposed to be purple in it but I don't see any yet.

{{gwi:1188962}}

FINALLY, I'm excited to share a "rare" plumeria I got in April. It has rooted finally and I'm in awe! It is one of JL seedlings back when he sold his seedlings to a California nursery. There are only about 20 people who have it in the world including JL and the original owner. I bought it for its uniqueness and its ability to have different shapes and colors. Here is the seller's eBay picture:

{{gwi:1188963}}

Here is my very 1st bloom in the 100F temperature

{{gwi:1188965}}

{{gwi:1188966}}

More blooms opened in the rain

{{gwi:1188967}}

{{gwi:1188968}}

After the rain (today's pictures)

{{gwi:1188969}}

These are 4-5" blooms

{{gwi:1188970}}

I'll be posting more pictures as I have more blooms in the summer :)

Hope you guys enjoyed my pictures.

Kenny

This post was edited by k2fl on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 7:01

Comments (27)

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Kenny,
    great blooms. You have quite a collection now. I cannot believe you belong to the club of 20, I do too, Mike Atkinson is the seller of Corona Surprise and he is my buddy. He sold me one recently. It has an inflo on the rooting plant.

George

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Looking great Kenny!! I know what the "guess what it is" but I'll leave up to someone else to guess. Corona surprise is fantastic. You in the club are very lucky.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

outstanding! roxanne

• irun5k
    10 years ago

Great display, thanks for sharing! Nice adeniums, too :)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Kenny, that's awesome! So many great plumerias. Thanks for showing us the pics, just beautiful.

• nativec
    10 years ago

Oh my Kenny! I think I've looked at your blooms over and over for 20 minutes! My guess on the bloom......JL Golden Pagoda! Did I get it right? LOL. The colors your plumerias are throwing are spectacular! And I secretly wondered who won that special cutting on eBay. How exciting! I'm glad you got it.

Everything is beautiful...I'm visually overloaded :). Wow, just wow!

Nicole

• nativec
    10 years ago

I almost forgot...I'm drooling over your adeniums too:)

• chuy415
    10 years ago

So beautiful Kenny!!! ALL of your plumerias are amazing!! Great pictures. You are one lucky person ;).

Chuy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Kenny....

Awesome!!!!

I'm still drooling and I'm so tired.. I'll be back and drool some more..

Lovely!!!

My guess.. GP too!!!

Take care,

All are beautiful...

Laura

• elucas101
    10 years ago

WOW wow WOW! Great job over there Kenny! You have some really nice plumies, your pictures are fantastic! Isn't it fabulous to get some of that rain?! That doesn't happen to us in the summer too much, my plumies loved it!

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Your blooms are all so pretty and the adeniums are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

Kasie

• Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

George,

Thank you! I don't want to know how many I have in my collection (I stopped counting after 150). I saw Mike's most recent listing on Corona Surprise. You got a great deal on it! Hopefully yours will root just as fast. It'd be interesting to see how they bloom in the Houston's humidity!

Mike, Rox, Brian, George (Simi), Chuy, and Kasie

Thanks! Yes I've gotten many blooms since June! I guess I've been slacking off in getting them posted. I'm glad I finally got off my lazy bum. :)

Emily

Thank you! and coming from the seedling queen out of all people! Yes after our 3-day deluge, my plumies seem to love it. Their leaves and trunks are so lush and firm! We haven't had this unusual weather in nearly a decade according to the meteorologists!

BTW I'm very curious to see your seedlings bloom as well. Can't wait for more picture updates!

Nicole and Laura,

Thank you! I'm glad my pictures are drool worthy LOL. I admit I had my doubt at first about buying Corona Surprise. Part of me was afraid I couldn't get it rooted after spending (cough) a pretty penny for such a cutting. I was able to breathe a sigh of relief when it rooted and put on a show for me.

You know, that "guess the JL flower" is actually JL Mosaic.

I thought maybe the streak in my picture would give it away! Anyway I learned it's a compact grower and have seen the branches before. They're so odd looking (kinda like one of those canopy branches). I tried rooting one last summer but didn't succeed so I thought I'd let them root one for me.

I received the occasional update from the JL rep. The last pic I got before it was bound for shipment was this:

When I opened that last bud, I detected a very pleasant scent so I'm 100% certain Mosaic is something I MUST have :)

Kenny

• nativec
    10 years ago

Man, I guessed wrong...LOL But thats a great one too. So hard to decide with so many gorgeous varieties!

Thank you for sharing them with us!

• pcput
    10 years ago

Great job Kenny! They all are beautiful! I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I love adenium and have some but try to keep it to just a few. Glad they don't have the wonderful smell so it's easier to not keep adding them.
    Peg

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, Kenny. Here i was thinking that I had all that i needed, then you go and post pictures like Taj Mahal and Thai Jade. Now I have to look up their growth habits to see if i can possibly make room for one of them.

Those two stood out to me, but honestly, everything you have looks amazing.

• Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Peg,

Thank you! It is hard to pick a favorite for sure lol. That's why we're all addicts. Everything appeals to us.

I have about 5 adeniums and I think that's a good number to have but I keep wanting to get just one more. Maybe if I can find a good nursery in the states. These flowers don't have any scent but their blooms are spectacular to look at...and they stay compact!!

Allan,

Taj Mahal is a compact grower, you can see the inflo scars about 2" apart from each other. Thai Jade is a reliable bloomer, that's why I bought it, I think it's pretty compact too. Maybe Mike can tell you if there are any left at Southwood in Tulsa :)

Kenny

• AllanRandall
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Kenny. Which one of them would you say has the best smell?

• Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thai Jade has a medium floral scent. It's pleasant but not strong. I couldn't detect much of a scent on Taj Mahal until I picked the flower. This may sound a little odd but Taj Mahal smells a lot better after the blooms started fading (and even turning brown). I'm not kidding lol!

Kenny

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Greaty pics, Kenny! Thanks for sharing.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
    I love that Adenium. I need to go back to Josephs, I picked up a couple of new ones this spring and she told me they were getting in a big shipment. I`ve been trying to resist darn you!
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lonnie!

Hi Tally! There's an adenium nursery in TX that sells Thai cultivars?? Oh! I need to know more. Lol maybe the plumeria train should be expanded to carry adenium too. We'd love to get these plants to OK from TX.

Kenny

This post was edited by k2fl on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 16:18

• jandey1
    10 years ago

LOVE the Waimea and Duke shots! Never knew they'd get so scarlet in the heat. And Corona Surprise--hubba, hubba!! That's a wonderful collection you have, Kenny.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hey kenny

Hope you dont mind if i tag along in this topic. we got so many going now its hard to keep up.

here is my Desert sunrise with temps in the 90's and humidity in the 70-80 percent. Pretty flower, almost no scent. Mine tends to not branch at the inflo.

hearts desire, you can really tell they are related. HD smells like perfume and DS has no scent.

classic California sunset. its usually a bit more vibrant this time of year.

Wow the camera on my phone is awful. sorry about that. Ill try and get some better ones and replace these.

mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

Now I have Corona Surprise on my list....GGGRRR...trying to shorten the list, not lengthen it! roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Mike, Laura says her DS is fragrant, and this morning I picked up a dropped semi-open bloom and it smelled lovely, so maybe there's hope? I'm wondering if the intense heat suppresses the scent.

• Kenny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,

Of course, feel free to contribute. Robert and Allan are also welcome to add their blooms here. We could use more bloom pictures. The more the merrier!

I think Mike and I have come to the conclusion that we both will have blooms probably well into the winter with our newly emerged inflos. The question should be whose collection will outlast the other haha.

Rox,

When you get these two different blooms on the same inflo, you'd see why it's called Corona Surprise :)

Hope you'll be the 21st person to own Corona Surprise.

Hi Jen,

Yes our heat really made the reds RED! I think by now you've known I'm an addict that has gone off the deep end lol.

Kenny

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Kenny !!

Beautiful flowers as always !!

I think I could hear you gasp when you saw that first root on the CS. Lol! That is how I felt with my Metallica!!! ;-)

Mike. Great blooms!! I will check on the branching on my tree when I get home. It doesn't seem to have any issues with the branching , I would have remembered it from last year. They all branch In two to three tips for me. The one that stayed a single tip when it bloomed?
    ...... Metallica!! Wouldn't you know it! arrrgghh

Hi Jen!! I'm glad you had some fragrance in your DS bloom!! ;-). Heat and humidity do play a large factor in the scent and coloration of the blooms. There is no doubt about that!! Hope you are well!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!

Take care,

Laura