Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Color Change In One Week In The Heat!!!

Hello Everyone!!

I just wanted to share some pics that I found fascinating!!!

Here is the pic of the blooms on my Desert Sunrise one week ago. Then we had temps in the upper 90's here in VB. Hot Humid and just plain HOT!!!

When I arrived home from my trip, I had this surprise.. notice the color change.. I couldn't believe it!!

I hope you enjoy..

Also some others too!!!

One week later....

California Sunset last week
{{gwi:29972}}

This week...

Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop

Four inch bloom.. it was huge!!!

Thai Super Round

Tuberoses.. very fragrant.. Thanks for the tip Bill!!

{{gwi:350669}}
Thong Saim

Take care,

Laura

Comments (20)

• pcput
    10 years ago

Nice color change, Laura, but I like them either way. I guess I'm going to have to check out the Tuberoses. Can't wait to smell them.
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Peg.. sure did miss you today.. the rain was heavy and it was lightning too. A house near us caught on fire from the lightning.. Arrgghh!!

Hope to see you soon..

;-)

LJ

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! It's so crazy what some heat can do! They look so good! I really like that Adenium!

Mark

• plumejunkie
    10 years ago

Hey Laura, your plants are gorgeous as always! God, you must have about 500 of em. I'm glad you do because I love your pics!

So I believe it's not actually the heat, but a greater intensity of uv rays that causes the change. The reason I say that is because I have a beautiful rainbow colored plant that I had to keep in doors longer than usual one year due to cold nights. It was next to the back sliding glass door. Well the plant flowered & to my surprise, it bloomed white with a yellow eye. I know that the glass affects the suns wavelength, so I came to this conclusion.

I could be totally wrong tho...... :P

Peace & happy growing,
    Jason

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Incredibly beautiful Laura! We were around 97 today. Those black pots were so hot I could barely touch them. I had painted a few of them white a couple of weeks ago and they were cool to the touch. I guess I have some painting to do, about 120. ugh! Next year all but the small ones are going in the ground.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura!! Never a bad picture from you ;). They look amazing either way!! Love the Thai super round! Beautiful color. The Adenium you have are so beautiful too! Thanks for taking the time to post before and after pics.

Chuy

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi Laura,

Your babies are incredibly beautiful! I am so envious of the deep intense colors from your warm weather.

I saw Desert Sunrise but around here it's just kind of a blah yellow. So I passed her up every time. Right now we on a cool spell barely reaching low 70s so my flowers all look washed out. :(

I can't wait to see more beauties from your garden! Gnight.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Great Pics as usual Laura. I love how my Desert sunrise gets so red in the hot summer. Its too bad is lacks in scent. Mine tends to not form new branches at the inflo. Is yours doing that?

lemon drop looks great too!

Mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Hi Laura,

Your photos are so rich in color! Just incredible warm-weather blooms. I find when the nights stay above 80, that's when the color kicks in.

What special tips did Bill give you about tuberoses? I have two pots full of them. One pot is sending up three spikes now. The other just looks like long grass. I probably should have divided them a bit more??

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Laura,

Beautiful pictures! Just WOW!! The heat apparently brought out the intensity in their colors! Where did you get Thong Siam? Just when I think I have enough desert roses lol

Kenny

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Whoa, Laura, that ETLD is Texas-big! Funny that you get a strong scent with it; I find it a bit mild. Desert Sunrise's scent is very faint for me. I wonder if the heat actually suppresses the scent.

Love the variability of DS, though--what a gorgeous flower in any weather!

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

YER KILLING ME SMALLS!!!! I wish i could hide photos of E. Thorton Lemon Drop... I have such covetous feelings. But leave all the other photos intact, cos they make me smile so.

• nativec
    10 years ago

Oh Laura they are all so lovely! I like them with the heat and without :). You know I lust after the Super Round each year...LOL. Let me just double check with you first before I take the plunge....that is JJ's right? Oh I'm about to ask a question I know I shouldn't....here goes...who is your adenium supplier? Sheesh! I see trouble coming :). When you get time could you email it to me...please.

XO
    Nicole

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Very interesting, Laura! Funny how some flowers change hues like that...I have a Crown of Thorns that was red when it first bloomed, and the next time, red no more. But mine had nothing to do with the heat...

That Adenium is indeed a nice one, quite different!

Christopher

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello everyone!!!

Hi Mark,,, we have the same taste... ;-). I love them too!!!

hi Jason... Interesting theory... However, I still think it is the heat combined with the humidity that makes the color change. Mother Nature at her finest!!!

Thank you for the nice comments!! mahalo!!!

Hi Powder.. Sounds like you have been busy,,, what type of paint are you using? Sounds interesting.. Hope you and your trees are having a nice summer... I'll get up with you before I go down to the keys.. ;-)

Hi MIke... Mine always forms new branches.. My Metallica didn't as my Pele didn't either.. Pele has an inflo again, so hopefully it will split! I'll let you know... But DS does split for me...

Hi Dave.. Thank you so much for your compliments, coming from you means a lot !!!

The tip that I received from Bill about the tuberoses ... He told me to BUY them. Lol!!

He just said they were very fragrant and that he loved them.. So I listened as I always do and they are beautiful. Mine are in two separate containers in partial shade. They are both tall and one container is sending shoots out. I love them!!! I hope yours bloom soon!!!

Hi Kenny.. Thank you!!! Always nice to hear for. You too!! I bought my Thong Saim from Kukuan in Thailand. A few of us went in on a shipment and I bought about 15 different varieties. Same with Rinoa from Taiwan. They are beautiful... This is hard... I heard there are fragrant DR's now.. I know.. OMG!!!

Hi Jen.. ETLD was the biggest bloom I have seen on her.. Yes, Texas style!!! Lol. I love this tree!! Thank you as always.. The DR's are so much fun too.. Addicting tho!!!
    I hope your DS gain more fragrance... I do believe the heat and humidity play a huge role in coloration and fragrance. Mine has proved that. I have seen and smelled this in just one week!!!

Lnorigb.. You are to funny.. I love ETLD. She is a winner. Thanks for the comments,,

Hi Nicole...

Thank you!!!

I believe I bought it from JJ's. it is a beauty!! Thank you!!!

I mentioned that I bought my DR's from Kukuan from Thailand and some from Rinoa in Taiwan. Next time I order.. I'll let you know.. ;-). Deal?
    Enabler... LMAO!!! Paybacks... Lol

Hi Christopher... Always nice to see you!! I love Crown Of Thorns too!! I have a red and a yellow. Both are blooming now.. So pretty!!

Thank you for the compliment on the blooms and the DR.. I love the ones from KuKuan. Very unique indeed,,

Thanks for stopping by,,,

Take good care,

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

Laura, is Thai Super Round and JJ's the same? I scored JJ's SuperRound at the Lowe's frenzy... It does not have an inflo yet but seems to want water every day and wilt easy. It is 3 tipped and looks like it will be great and is sending new leaves up like crazy but the first/older leaves are yellowing and wilting. Is yours in filtered or afternoon shade? Great photos by the way...take care, roxanne

• nativec
    10 years ago

Laura you have a deal....ugh oh :). Thank you!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Laura, I just used Glidden Exterior Latex. I roughed them up a little with a gritty sandpaper, used a big brush and slapped it on. It took about 20 minutes for the first pot to get all set up and sanded, then about 15 minutes to paint 5 7 gallon pots. I let them dry overnight and put on a 2nd coat but there was one I did 2-3 weeks ago and I didn't sand and used one coat and it's fine except for a couple very small areas where is got scraped because we put it back outside 3 hours after we painted it then it rained,

The temperature difference is remarkable! The ones in white are cool, the black ones so hot you can barely touch them. I'm sure the roots appreciate not being scorched each day and also it's a lot easier then double potting them and using mulch between the layers and it's cooler. I tried the double pot method with mulch and it's a lot more work and it still gets hotter than just painting the pot white to reflect the sun.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Laura,

My tuberoses bloom every year.

You can't just leave them in the same pot year after year though because they form so many new bulbs that they get overcrowded. And the new bulbs take several years before they are large enough to bloom.

I think the key to getting them to rebloom each year is to divide them each year, save the largest bulbs, and pot those up in very large pots.

Throw out the smallest bulbs.

You soon will have pots and pots of these things.

They might actually be hardy in your area. So you should also try them in the ground.

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Hey Laura:

I do love Desert Rose also, have two still I grew from seed, but embarrassingly small still...I hope to see some in the ground along with some awesome Plumeria when i go to the PHILIPPINES in September! I booked my flight today!

Is that Fang I sent you still thriving?

My new Plumerias have been attacked by spider mites! Will alcohol spray work?

Christopher

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery