Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lablover4ever

plumeria with other flowers in the pot

lablover4ever
11 years ago

will other lfowers in the same pot hurt a plumeria? the garden center near me has 2 left but in the same pot its planted with a little yellow flower of some kind. this is not the first time i have seen this but since i have not had a new plume this year i keep thinking about going back and buying one. should those flowers be taken out? the plumes are white, pink or yellow. they don't know which.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't believe it will directly hurt the plant but it may cause other complications which could impact the plant. My choice is to not have anything planted in the pot with a plumeria.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Does the flowers leaves look like little shamrocks or clover?
    If so you want to remove them before bringing them to your yard or home.
    They can spread like crazy as their seed pods pop and spread seeds everywhere!
    If it's the little yellow flowers I'm thinking of...
    Stuart

• labland
    11 years ago

In my planter with 8 plumeria plants I have Vinca growing all over. In fact I also had snapdragons until last week, but they were getting to be too big. The Vinca plants like the same conditions, in fact they are related. In either Jim Little's book, or the Eggenerger's book they list appropriate plants that do well planted with plumerias. It is based on same likeness... I.e. water, soil type. Etc.

I agree with the clover... If it is clover get it out now! It is impossible to irradicate once it gets a hold in a pot!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

I think Portulaca (Moss Rose) will be a good companion for plumerias in pots. They do not take up a lot of root space. It loves a lot of sun just like plumerias and pretty easy to root from cuttings.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi,
    here is my two bits on the subject.
    Plumeria inflos and flowers are spectacular. However, plumeria plants, even in bloom, are OK but they are not spectacular. The beauty of the blooms is lost because they do not cover much area like the leafs and stems. Here is an example. The inflo and flower of Atzec Gold, which is not even one of the pretiest plumerias, really look good as the pictures below show,

Here is a picture of the Atzec Gold plant. It is OK but it is not spectacular.

Here is Kaneohe Sunburst, which is really a spectacular flower.

Here is the mother plant. It does not look so good.

Besides, plumerias, at least in the Houston area, bloom for about two months and then they are mostly leafs. Of course different varieties bloom at different times and we have some blooms all season.

Here is what I do. I grow my plumerias in 25-gallon plastic pots. In early spring, I plant petunias in the pots. I fertilize with 12-24-12 fertilizer. The plumerias are mostly dormant at the time and they do not mind the petunias. Here are some pictures of what my pots look like early spring.

In June the petunias are done. It gets too hot for them in Houston. I have a double row of plumerias, alternating with bougainvillas (in smaller pots). I keep the bugainvillas low so they do not cover the plumerias by cutting them back in November. So, in June, when the petunias are done, the bougainvillas take over. Look at the splash of color they produce.

They bloom three times a year like this and there are always some blooms on them.

Then, on the fence that separates my pool and my vegetable garden (65' long) I grow alamandas. They grow to eight feet tall and they bloom profusely from May till Frost with large spectacular yellow flowers.

So by using a combination of planting inside the plumeria pot early spring and using other plants nearby, I maintain a splash of color all season. I would not keeps other plants in the plumeria pot past June because that is when plumerias form the flowers for next season and they need all the nutrients they can get, without competing with other plants for them. I tried Vinca once and it was a dissaster. Vincas, when they get large, they use a lot of water. My plumerias were always wilted in the afternoon until I got rid of the vincas.
    tc,
    George

• tommyc
    11 years ago

Does this help Answer your Question? Go for it. I just weekly fertilize with Bloom builder/booster until late August.

Check out the link below, and click on the slideshow on the top right of my account and you can see the rest of my plumi pics, Lotus, and Hawaii sets if you'd like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers in the pot of Plumi's.

• lablover4ever
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i bougth 2 of them today so took out the yellow flowers since it is so late in the summer. i dont want those flowers to use up all the water. tropic, the flowers are an annual not clover. thanx!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?