Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

Regular grafting or bud grafting??

Ok, so I have a new cutting that I think has rot (I won't be able to check until I get home tomorrow). It's a rare variety, and I can't replace it. There's probably a 5" section in the middle of the cutting that looks/feels fine. (The tip is mushy, as is a section of the base.) Assuming that tissue is healthy, I was thinking of either doing a center-cut graft or of doing a bud graft. I have a couple of rooted Celadines that would make good graft stock, or I can pick up some cheap generic plumeria from HD or Lowes.

I've read a lot about regular grafting - if I go this route, I would probably try a V-graft. I don't know if cutting the top off the cutting (which I would have to do) would make a difference as to how well the cutting would do.

I'm also considering bud grafting, since I could graft more than one plant from the cutting. Also, if it turns out there's more rot than I think, this might be the only option that I have. I know that Kukiat uses this method - does anyone here have any experience with it? I've found only a little bit of info online.

Advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated!! I figure I have nothing to lose at this point, since this cutting will not root the traditional way.

Happy 4th of July, everyone!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths