Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Mid Summer Blooms, Waimea & Clacutta Star

Tropic_7
11 years ago

I love love love Waimea, can't get enough of it when it blooms!

If Hawaiian Rose or Vera Cruz Rose were a women's perfume, then Waimea with it's spicy rootbeer scent could be a man's cologne!

Ok mid-week silliness setting in.....

ALOHA! Stuart

Comments (9)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Staurt, I love both actually. Waimea is drop dead gorgeous. After I saw her photos I ordered one with inflo. Unfortunately it broke off during transit... So I am hoping it will bloom for me next year. :).

Thanks again for sharing. You have so many gorgeous plants. I wish I can find the Jaded dragon that you have.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue, you won't be disappointed at all...
    The blooms this year are huge and have a blush of orange on them!
    Calcutta Star has been a heavy bloomer this hear, again having to get up on a ladder to photograph this flower, the tree tops out at 9ft.
    Both Plumeria are tall growers!
    I wish I had enough of the Jaded Dragon to sell, it's 2 branches one with a bloom and the other has 3 small branches at the top and is about 7ft tall...crazy I know!
    I'm trying to pollinate the Jaded Dragon for seeds, wish me luck!
    ALOHA! Stuart

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Both are lovely, Stuart! How lucky you are to have so many beautiful blooming trees in your yard!

Your photos are always so crisp and clear. Please keep posting them.

Maybe you could do a daily photo post of the "Flower of the Day"?? :)

• isobea
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I'm sorry to have to break the news to you, but here in So. Cal, so close to the coast, we'll never get the colors these lucky folks in Florida get. Not enough heat and humidity. But we can dream... and drool over their pictures. I once saw Jungle Jacks 'Purple Jack' blooming close to the coast and it was a dirty grey. We just have to modify our wishlists.
    Stuart, thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures with us. Keep them coming - we need them.
    Iso

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Iso, then I better cross Purple jack off my list then. I hope the other two purple I bought will do better but I won't know for a few more years.

Do you have any suggestions for plants that do well in our area?

Also did you go to the plant sale in SD last year? I want to go but not sure what to expect! Thanks!

• isobea
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I had the same question early last year and several people mentioned Kaneohe Sunburst in first place. My friend Diana, who lives just minutes from me here in Carlsbad, had a whole list of plants she liked: Celadine, Ferris Wheel, Divine, CA Sunset, Elsie, Scensation, Kimo, Samoan White, CA Sally, Church Ruffles, Dean Conklin, Jenny, Mazatlan, SD Sunset, Teresa Wilder. You can also check out Mike Pfeiffer's website (Pacific Plumeria). He is in Solana Beach not far from the 101 and grows his plants outside (no greenhouses). He is a good guy and I have bought several plants from him before.
    As to your question about the plant sale last year: yes, I did go and I was good, only bought one plant (Polynesian Red from Mike). If you plan on going, get there early - like 1 hour in advance. Otherwise the line will be snaking around the building and you'll need coffee and a snack to survive. Also, if you are going with somebody else, have them stay in line and check out the flower show in the room across the way. Good luck and happy hunting! I won't be able to go which will save me a lot of money LOL
    Iso

PS: If you buy reds be aware of the fact that they usually bloom later than other colors which means quite late close to the coast.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Gorgeous... Sums it up! Well..perhaps lovely..too :)

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

I just potted some rooted cuttings from BBB. My first 3 plants are unknown, but the 3 I just potted were Kaneohe Sunburst, Church ruffles & Lava flow. It looks like I'm in good company. Like alot of us have the same favorites.
    Kathy

• pcput
    11 years ago

Gorgeous as always Stuart. We have had lots of heat and humidity and rain. I'm still hoping for some inflos to show up. Last year the Plastic Pink didn't have one until just before it was time to bring them in. Of course it fell off right after I got it in. :( I do have 2 new tips to show for it though :) Thanks for sharing your pics for us to admire. Peg

Sponsored