Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdb319

Will Sevin bug spray harm plumerias?

Since I'm a newbie an I don't want to kill or mess up my plumerias, I wanted to ask for before I proceed with using this product. I have a bug spray, Sevin, which it kills just about every bug in the book. What I was wondering is, can I spray it on my plumeria to kill ants? Or will it hurt the plumeria? I have used it on my hibiscus bushes in the past, which it works. Or do you recommend a different product to use to kill / get rid of ants?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Comments (13)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi KIm,

I have never heard of anyone usuing Sevin on Plumerias.. I would read on the back of the package annd see what it suggest. My brother uses it on his Gardenias with great success, but i would be cautious on my trees....

Hopefully someone will chime in and give you more info!!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

I seem to recall that while Sevin will kill some bugs, it will also kill the beneficials which, for example, help keep spider mites in check. I remember using it one year only to be bombarded by another pest (possibly mites?) which now had no enemies. I would not recommend Sevin.

For ants, you might consider ant granules on the soil.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I would agree that if you have to treat for the ants, do it outside of the pot and with granules because no matter where they are nesting it will kill them because they will carry back the granules. Otherwise it's only a "spot treat" if you will. The granules will get the entire colony.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

and sevin kills everything. I use no pesticides at all, except for fire ant killer! Have yet to find out how to kill them without pesticides. Stick with pyrethroids/pyrethrins if you must use pesticides or even better soap.
    Ants can be hard to get rid of so just keep putting down granules. With all our rain lately the fire ants are really moving around. Once it dries up it will take weeks to get rid of the new mounds. YUCK!
    Good luck with them.
    Oh, check for aphids, often if you have ants in your plants they are farming aphids on your plants.
    Tally HO!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no clue what type of ants they are, all I know is they are the small tiny black ones that is always after food and crumbs that is on the ground. They aren't in the pot, but on my leaves/inflo around the buds. Out of all the years I've had hibiscuses, I've had ant problems with my hibiscus blooms too, there must be something sweet in them.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would this work? It says its in stock at my Lowes: Spectracide 3 Lbs. Ant Shield Home Barrier Granules

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Or this, its says that is specifically for flowers an its delivery system is granules: Garden Safe 4 Lb. Crawling Insect Killer Containing Diatomaceous Earth

Sorry for the many replies...

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I would not use insecticide to kill ants. Insecticides kill on contact and the residual will not continue to kill ants. The ants will be back. The best way to keep the ants off your plant is to tape a 1" wide blue masking tape all the way around the trunk (with some overlap), about a few inches above the soil line or higher. Then coat the tape with TangleFoot insect glue. TangleFoot is weather-proof, is clear and does not smell, and works for months. This forms a barrier to keep ants off your plant. If ants get on it they simply get stuck on it for good. This is what I use and works great. You can get TangleFoot from many places (i.e. Gemplers.com) I hope this helps.
    tc
    George

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I use the Amdro or Spectracide granules. It will start to kill the ants within hours.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kim, the ants are attracted to hibiscus because the blooms have a load of sweet nectar at their base. Kids in tropical places learn this at an early age. :)

The tiny ants should do no harm to your plumies. Like Beach said they're probably farming other insects, or, like on mine, they're getting the sticky stuff at the base of each new leaf. No damage done to the plant itself as far as I can see.

I would personally never use Sevin for any reason. That stuff is bad news. Emily and George made great suggestions to use instead if they're bothering you.

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think on friday, I will hit up lowes for some ant granules. I don't think we have TangleFoot around here or at least I've never heard of it. A downside to living in a smaller city.

Jandey, I figured there was something sweet in the blooms for them to keep getting after them.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Kim,

I was just looking at my treees and i also have ants in some... they dont hurt anything and like Jen mentioned, they are helping instead of hurting your trees.. I would leave them unless they are in your containers.. Then i would flush..

Just my two cents worth... : )

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Hi all, You might want to rethink your ants. They are small enough to get into the blooms and maybe could pollinate for you. Anybody want seed pods???

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner