Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_first_kms2

Pictures blooms next to each other

the_first_kms2
9 years ago

Emerson's Pink Nova (1st bloom on a 2013 rooted cutting) and a Singapore Obtusa in the background

Singapore Obtusa

Kona Candy

JL Pink Pansy and the very late Thornton Mardi Gras (delayed by a dozen seed pods).

The last Jeannie bloom on an old inflo (far right), Penang Peach in the late stages of inflos.

A few Jeannie blooms earlier in the Season

Gulfstream about a month ago. I lost this branch in a storm about a week later. It should callus and I will attempt to root.

Dwarf Deciduous White. A very large bloom with a lemon scent. It seems like they last only 2 days before falling off.

JJ Delightful

Dean Conklin and Aztec Gold. Two favorites that look good together. This is from a previous year as I pruned my AG and Dean got frosted tips in that late March cold snap we had and I pruned it. So far its only produced 1 bloom that I have seen.

Comments (8)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Beautiful blooms, K.. Always enjoy seeing your beauties!!

I love them all, but Kona Candy.. Wow!! They are gorgeous!!

Sorry you lost a branch on Gulfstream , but I'm sure you will have it rooted in no time!!

Lovely...

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:09

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Very healthy looking and very beautiful. I love your pictures and please keep on posting them.

If I were you I would start some of the Mardi Gras seeds, never know what you will get and they are very cute.

Here is some of my little seedings from today and I still need to pot them up.

• chuy415
    9 years ago

What beauties!!!! Wow!! Very nice collection. Thank for sharing.

Chuy

• rox146
    9 years ago

all so gorgeous and posted together...wow..cannot seem to get that to happen. Love the Candy....roxanne

• nativec
    9 years ago

Great pictures! So many gorgeous varieties... Thank you for sharing :)

Nicole

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    9 years ago

k - beautiful photos! I don't know why I have not yet purchased a Gulfstream. Yours makes me question! Maybe you should email Tex and offer him your pic for FC's website. They would probably sell more. :)

Kona Candy is my fav of the year. Even above Raspberry Sundae.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Kona seems to have been a strong bloomer since about Mid June. The only issue is its small and easily picked clean by two little ones who like to wear them behind their ear. So I was lucky to get outside and snap that picture first.

I bought Gulfstream from the Staffords at a PSA sale a couple of years ago. He told me at the June sale the parent plant was lost this last winter when a greenhouse heater malfunctioned. The three other tips will have inflos too so it should be a nice show.

Barb, I dont have the full sun space to grow seedlings without chopping down native Live Oaks. I have already cleared out Texas Persimmon, Crepe Myrtles, and Junipers to keep my grove in the sun. I even offered my neighbor to the west $200 to chop down a hackberry which would give my plants an extra two hours of late afternoon sun. I did find some seedlings popping up with Sariah's Curly Pink.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Barb,
    Here is one of my two known seedlings. A Mardi Gras seedling blooming for the first time. Its a pretty shape and a nice fragrance. We will see what happens with it.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living