Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

kauka wilder

rox146
10 years ago

can one ever have enough Kauka Wilders? I bought Theresa Wilder this last fall and am hoping it will bloom next year. What is the major difference? Which is better? mahalo, roxanne

Comments (14)

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

K.wilder- more orange, better scent

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    T.Wilder- more red, hardy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, I have two Kaukas, so I guess you can't have enough. Love it.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

such a nice bouquet and fragrance....5 of these in my collection now, just wished they lasted when picked....roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oops, just realized I have 6 of these big beauties now. So, I took the 4 1/2 foot cutting I got from a friend in Nov. of last year, rooted it with the egg in our sunroom and planted it in the ground today to spread out the herd. roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the cutting and the roots were so abundant, it was very difficult to get them out. I should have cut the plastic. Lost a few roots but I think all in all it will be fine....there are now 2 of them in this cooler part of our yard. roxanne

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

I'm rooting a Kauka Wilder and I heard they are very difficult to root, at best how long should I expect it would take for mine? I have been using the "egg experiment" for most of my other cuttings and I have been very successful with them. I use a 2Lt. soda bottle(cutting the neck off).
    I put some rocks on the bottom
    cover rocks with soil mix
    lay the egg on top
    add more soil mixed with dead flowers
    enough to cover 4 inches of the cutting
    water the whole container, thoroughly, once
    w/distilled water by osmosis and vit. B1
    I have a lot of south exposure in my front and back
    of my yard and also I set the cuttings on red concrete tiles.
    Sorry for the long posting, can someone add any other way for a successful rooting? I have 10 Plumerias on the front of my house, two of them are cuttings that I re-potted last summer.
    Annamaria

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, glad to hear someone else likes the egg method. The large cutting you see in the post just before yours...(SIDEWAYS, so turn it 90 degrees) I got last late November and it was totally the wrong time of year. I put 2 eggs 2 inches under the cutting in a large 2-3 gallon plastic pot with 70% perlite and 30% cactus mix. I have superthrive in the water I water it thru once with. The bottom of the cutting is BARELY scored with a razor blade and then into the rooting compound of choice. This cutting had 3 large inflos coming and it never dropped one as it sat all winter in our south facing sunroom. I carried it outside this last April where it sat in that same pot till fully leafed out. I just 2 weeks ago put int into the ground.

I have never heard of putting dead flowers in the soil???? can you explain that benefit please... roxanne

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

Hi Roxanne, I learned the "dead flowers" addition from MIMI of ALOHA PLUMERIA GROUP, somehow it works as the egg but I'll have to go into the Group and read the "specific" post. Do you think 70% perlite and 30%sphagnum peat moss would work for my kauka wilder cutting? Interesting tip about scoring the bottom of the cutting, I'll try that myself, Just a couple of blade's "slashes", did you moist or wet the bottom before you dipped it in rooting powder? Thank you for being so prompt in replying and your rooting instructions!!
    Annamaria

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

when you score it with a sanitized razor blade, do NOT go so deep as to draw the white milky stuff. I have never used sphagnum peat moss. So I have no idea on that. I do dip the cutting into water with superthrive in it... then the left over of that gets poured over all to wet it in the container thoroughly. good luck... roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

fancyorchid , Mimi's group is long gone and so is all the info that was there. Unless you made a copy of it all has been lost. As best as I remember it,she did talk of using old blooms and leaves in her mix as cuttings and seeds would fall under a tree, where dead leaves and blooms fall, and take root without any help. So she thought it might be of benefit to add it. She even rooted cuttings in nothing but leaves and blooms and an egg and she said it broke down into a light airy mix.
    Hope that helps explains what the thought was, roxanne.
    Peg

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Peg, fun to try next season.... roxanne

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

Thanks Peg for bring it up, I saved a lot of my emails from Mimi. I also remember she used "water rooting" on some of her cuttings !!! I SURE Miss Her, I wonder what happened to Her...it seemed like She Just Vanished away....was It because of the FACEBOOK incident? I have tried going into the Group's Journals but that had vanished too!!!! I hope Bill and Mike are still here, I have just been back !!!!
    Well....nice meeting you, Peg and Roxane!!!!
    Annamaria

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good luck to you and your plumeria... roxanne

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville