Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john11111_gw

Plumeria Seed Pods

john11111
17 years ago

One of my Plumeria plants has two (2) seed pods on it, but I'm not sure what to do with them. There still a dark green in color, and hard. I need some info: Do I pick them, or will they open my them selves ?? How many seeds will I find in each pod ?? Is it worth my time to plant the seeds ??

Thank you for any info that you can give me.

John

Comments (16)

• kasiec
    17 years ago

Hi John - congratulations, oh what a joy to have seed pods. It will take aproximately 9 months to maturity. The skin will begin darken and look dried up. Slip nylon stocking over your seed pods so the wind won't carry it away when it splits open. You will have alot of fun growing from seeds.

Kasie

http://www.plumeria101.com/seed_pods/seed_pods.html

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plumeria101.com/seeds101.html

• john11111
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank You Kasie & Tdogdad, the pod's have been on the plant for approx 6 months, and I wasn't sure what to do. As soon as the pod's split open, I will plant them, and keep you informed on how well there doing. Seeds will be a new experience for me. Thank You for the link to Plumeria 101.

• kona_wings
    17 years ago

Is it ok to pick the pod off the tree and take inside to mature? I have a pod on a branch that overhands a fence and I am afraid the kids will pick it.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Kona Wings I don't know much about plumeria seed pods but if it isn't already mature I doubt it will continue to ripen once off the tree. If it's fully developed, just not dry, it might be ok. Tell the kids that the authorities will haul them away if anything happens to the seed pod. lol
    Karyn

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

Do not pick it. Unless it is almost mature, it will not ripen the seeds as Karyn said. I would take a nylon sock or foot of an old panty hose and slip it over the pod. Tie around the stem. This makes the pod less attractive to pick off and it will hold the seeds if the pod opens. Unless the kids are spiteful little cusses, I would tell them what you are doing and ask them to help protect the seed pod so you can grow some young ones in the summer. Tell them if you are successful you will name a baby after each of them and they can see it grow. Write their names on a plant tag and put it in the pot. You might just make some young gardeners out of them. Bill

• buqa
    16 years ago

Hello everyone ! Ijust came to this group and I have the same delima. thanks for the info. Also I have twenty plumeria trees and would like to start grafting different colors . Which ones should i put with the others ? I would like tp take my yellow rainbow and put it with my magenta, but I dont want to mess anything up . Any ideas on what to do?
    Buqa

• pamelaclancarr_aol_com
    13 years ago

how do i get rid of the dusty rust on the plants?

• tdogdad
    13 years ago

At this time of year, I would cut off the leaf and dispose in a bag. I would clean around the plant base and replace any soil removed. Rust (which is orange-red) is not to be confused with powdery mildew (which is white). If you see rust in the spring. go to the top of this page and search the word Bayleton or rust. Bayleton is the chemical used to control rust in plumerias. Try to add a post to a topic that has something to do with your question. If not, start a new topic. both you and Buqa (question on grafting above) put your questions on a post about seed pods. Often these get overlooked as off topic. Bill

• 4dcooley_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Thanks for the good info. I have two different plants wit seed pods on them. One plant gives lavender flowers and has 3 pods on it. I had a lot of seeds i bought severalyears ago and my grandson planted them we now have 15 or so plants from his gardening. I want these pods torture so he can plant a lot more. He is proud of his plants. He has several at his house he maintains and Papa has the rest

• balut
    8 years ago

Belen.Estrada@csulb.edu

My husband pruned our plumeria tree today and he accidentally cut off a branch that has two seed pods attached to it. The pods looked very healthy with greenish brown color. Can the pods be salvaged? See picture below.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    8 years ago

It depends on how close your seeds were to maturity. You can try and leave them on your cutting and try and root it as is, but some think the seed pods will take some of the energy from the tree so that it won't fully focus on rooting.

it you think the seeds are viable and are close to maturity, you could cut them off and let them sit in the sun. Sometimes they will naturally open. You may have some that are not viable, but it's a chance you take.

It a mistake, I know.. Next time he will leave them on the tree!! ;-). It usually means that the seeds may not make it.. But try. You don't have anything to loose.

Good Luck!!

Laura

• HU-593783875
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Someone gave me two cuttings and I noticed that both have seed pods on them. Still kind of greenish brown. Will these seed pods survive me planting the cutting and produce viable seeds? What is the best way to help ensure good seeds from the pods? Pics below on next comment....

• HU-593783875
    3 years ago

This one has one but another is forming on it.

• HU-357510043
    3 years ago

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    3 years ago

finally!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH