Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobtabler

Anyone still sending out seeds?

bobthewizard
10 years ago

I'm gonna set up a inside seedling starting area if anyone still has seeds they want to part with... I'll share pics of the "nursery" when it's up and functioning. Tips and pointers are certainly welcome as well. I have a brother in the landscaping business so I have him as a resource but there are a lot of people here with massive amounts of experience to draw from....

I have none to trade but I'll certainly remember anyone sending me anything.

Thank you...

~Bob

Comments (45)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Bob!!

I have you on my list.. they still are not ready.. probably in a week.. The Possible VV are ready.. the Psycho and the Leela need to dry and open..it will be soon. I have all of the envelopes addressed and ready..im just waiting on the seed pod to dry...

I don't need anything in return.. I really am happy...

Mahalo!!

Laura

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Laura: chapeau!

Mima

• kayjones
    10 years ago

Laura, you are one of the sweetest and most generous people I have ever 'met' - thanks for helping so many people!! Hugs, Jo

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

I second that Jo.
    Laura has so much knowledge,and is so generous to people she doesn't know.thanks Laura
    Sharon

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura I really appreciate it!! I can't thank you enough.

I am so jealous of all of you that have pods growing on your Plumeria. Of course I haven't been doing this long enough to expect to have any yet but hope to have some pods one day.

And you watch I'll be offering any of the seeds I have from my pods when that time comes as well.

So thank you again,Laura!

And thank all of you who have helped get me excited with this new addiction... Lol

~Bob

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Hi Bob,

I have fresh Kimi Moragne seeds and about a dozen older ones from various cultivars that still need to be started. SeaSidePlumeria@cfl.rr.com

• PickledPink
    10 years ago

I've never heard of Psycho! Those of you who send out seeds are just amazing people! Very nice of you to do so, once I get a grip on germination, I may hit you up :-) And once I, like those above me, get seeds, I will gladly send out as much as I can. This forum is awesome, no doubt.

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! I'll tag any that I start with who and where they came from so I can pay it back, or pay it forward when they grow up...

Kimi Moragne are very pretty! If I show my wife the pinks, she doesn't roll her eyes quite as much. :)

~Bob

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I have a spreadsheet and I write down every info about all my plumies (date received/bought, from whom/where, date of repotting, blooming, etc). I'm trying now to figure out an app for the iPad which is much more attractive and easier to use, but I don't have enough time to dissect it for now. For who might be interested, its name is Garden Pro (HD). It looks great, I hope it works the same. :)

• loveplumies
    10 years ago

I didn't know Plumerias have seeds. Can anyone tell me how they come about? Thank you!

10 years ago

Mailed out today!!!
    ;-)

I'll start a new thread about sending them tomorrow.. I'm tired ...

Night everyone!!!

Laura

10 years ago

Sorry. Double post ....

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:16

10 years ago

You have pods form when the flowering Inflos cross pollinate..

Seeds pods will form and take 8-10 months to mature.. They split and Voila!!! Seeds... That is why I don't ever cut the old Inflos after they stop flowering... They might just surprise you with Seed pods.

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:21

10 years ago

Bob, Sharon, Jo...Mima,

Mahalo!!

Laura

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have one white that I have no idea what the name is, with flowers. I just last week picked up a "Tai Surprise" with flowers too... I don't see how either might get pollinated (either self or by the other cross pollinated). But, Laura, because you said that, I ain't touchin' those flower stalks!!! Lol. I'd be so excited to see a pod show up, though I don't expect it. But ya never know...

~Bob

10 years ago

Bob.

Smart man!

I leave them. ... Then once they are done and look ugly. . I see magic!!

;-)

Laura

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay... So I finally got all the seeds planted for this season. A couple of members here were kind enough to send me some seeds to start. My 9 year old helped me finish up the planting on Thursday and we're off and running.

I think there's 130 started... lol....
    {{!gwi}}

Next, I'll be working on the lighting for the "Nursery" for the office where they will be during the winter. I have plenty of time left before then so in the mean time, we'll see how many come up. My son is helping me with spraying them, even setting his ipod timer to remind him in the afternoon when I'm at work. heheh

I may be sending some out to "friends" next year... I'm sure to have plenty.

~Bob

10 years ago

Awesome, Bob!!

Looks like you will have lots of babies!!!

Great job at labeling too!

Pretty work! ;-)

Laura

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Looks great Bob. With the talking about seeds. I got out some old seeds from a year plus back and started them this week. Am posting a picture of how I start them at this point. I have done it different ways but this is a lot of fun and it seems to work very well. After the little roots stick out I put them in a long pot together and keep it misted. I use regular tap water. Barb :)

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Just started them this week and so far have seven with roots. Will start planting them tomorrow. Barb

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Very cool Bob!! Nicely done :)

Chuy

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hey Bob, just wondering what kind of soil you have the seed in ?

Mark

10 years ago

Awesome Barb!!

Especially with seeds that old. Great job!!!

Laura

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura, I was very surprised that they were still good but am going to enjoy adding them to my collection. Barb

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark... after much consideration on the soil type, I finally decided to just go with a good cactus mix and perlite mixed at 1 to 1 ratio. I considered several different mixes from suggestions here in the forums, but I think for me the cactus /perlite mix will work well, with less worry for root rot, etc... For the seeds, it should work fine and will be easy to repot them when they get bigger

I have limited space for planting in the ground, at least for now. I want to make sure the pots I put together are movable. And, I'll control the feeding...

I'm no expert on this. I may readjust my thinking later. We'll see.. heh

~Bob

• pat9240
    10 years ago

I would love to try the Plumeria seeds if anyone has any left. Will they grow in Texas?

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Hey Barb! Can you explain how you do your seeds? What is the material the seeds are floating on?

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I take a styrofoam box that we get from a hamburger place and cut little squares and then put a hole in the middle kind of like a little boat since they float. When I do get the box I cut out the largest area wash it and put away until I do have some seeds to start. Some people use packing peanuts but for me this is easier and you can check them to see if the roots are showing. Put about 1/4 of the seed in the water, I use tap water. I keep it in my kitchen until I take them outside and put them in soil. These were older seeds so was surprised that I got seven within the first 3 to 4 days. Will have to see if I get anymore. I am going to change the water and add a few more. I think that you have to try different ways to see what works better for you. Barb

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Thanks for that lesson in starting seeds how very clever of you. Now all I have to do is locate some seeds. I have just joined this site and can't seem to put my iPad away and go to bed. Love it!

Pat

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I have a huge seedpod on my Kona Hybrid aka Horace Clay, .....Blend of pink, orange, red. Stiff petals, large blooms, very fragrant. I have way too many seedling started so I am only keeping 5 and it looks like it's going to have a lot. You or anyone that wants some are welcome to them. I'm not sure when it will open. It may not be until winter or next spring. It's still growing.

I have another on Starlight, pink yellow and white rainbow, huge blooms, nice fragrance but it's small and will definitely be next spring.

I have another that is just starting and I'm hoping it makes it because it's on Sangria and we hand pollinated this one with Divine hoping for a compact tree with some of the brighter colors of Sangria. It's really tiny, It just started a week or so ago. I was shocked it worked. This was my first attempt. We just followed the steps in the Plumeria books and crossed our fingers that we did it right.

• astrl
    10 years ago

I wish I had seen this post before I started the ones I had. Sorry!

My Katie Moragne seeds sprouted pretty well, but my EWC#3 have not done in a thing two weeks. Does anyone know if EWC#3 is sterile? This is the second year in a row that it grew a seed pod and no plants grew from the seeds. I was hoping that it was a fluke last year.

astrl

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Can someone tell me where the video is on how to get seedpods. Would love to try with so many blooming right now. Thanks, Barb

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Powderpuff, I am new to this site so how do I get on your list for the seeds? Would love to give it a try

Pat

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Hi Pat,

I don't have a list. I never really got into seedlings in the past. I had too many others as it was. My 30+ year old tree in my front yard put out several every year and I never did anything with them. Sometimes seedlings would pop up in the beds and I would just let them grow a little then give them away. It's a Daisy Wilcox, we think,. It got half blown over during Hurricane Georges and we pulled it up a little with a truck then after consulting several Plumeria experts we decided to leave it, they thought it gave it character and to try to completely upright it might snap it and it is my main canopy tree that shades orchids and understory plants.

I don't really know how to start a list or when this will be ready. I guess when it opens I will just post here that I have the seeds and anyone that wants some, I will be glad to send them to them. Kona Hybrid will be ready first. Followed by Starbright. I guess I can start a list and anyone that asks I will notify when they are ready, stick then in an envelope and send them.

I have over 100 seedlings that I recently germinated. I haven't culled them yet so when I do there will be less. This time I put them between paper towels in a baggie until I saw the root, then potted them. In the past, I just stuck them in the soil in my beds but I didn't have to worry about them getting too cold in the winter. Now I do so that isn't an option.

What I have started now are:

Kimo
    Penang Peach
    Amaron Curly White( very slow to germinate)
    Siam Lavender
    Vera Cruz Rose
    Abigail
    Puu Kahea
    Mystery noids

and 23 or so from an unknown, open pod that was laying in one of my pots. 2 were culled today, they just didn't want to get leaves. I stuck them in a pot with Xanadu, maybe they will make it but don't have time to babysit the puny ones. lol.

There are 2 I am keeping out of those, and I will keep 2 or 3 out of the ones listed above, give a a few to family and friends, the others I will give to anyone that wants them next spring. I want to make sure they grow and make it though the winter under lights and outside on warm sunny days. I will ship those in bags or small pots if anyone wants them and they will be free,

Here is a picture of the pod on Kona Hybrid. It's getting big but it can take up to 9 months. I'm hoping it opens late this fall so I don't have to baby it all winter.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Pat, to answer your question about whether you can grow plumeria from seeds in Texas, and give you an idea of what to expect:

About a week after planting, germination

A few weeks old

A couple of months old

Seven months old

One-year-olds getting ready to come in the house for winter

And this is what happens when you underestimate how many will germinate when you over-order seeds, lol

They can range in size considerably

And before you know it, you have the hubby breaking out the power tools to build a new raised bed or two to put the two-year-olds into after a long winter indoors.

When I get a chance I'll add photos of how they look in that bed now, which is basically unrecognizable!

Pat, you'll enjoy the seedlings very much. Just remember that, like babies and puppies, they will eventually take up a lot more space!

Jen

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen for your pictures. I am getting excited about a new adventure growing Plumeria. I have been checking on line for sites that have the seeds. Also on this site some have offered seeds in the future.

Pat

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Hi Powderpuff! Can't believe all the plants you must have. I hope that I can start a collection and with the help of the nice folks on this site I will be successful... How do I get my address to you. I do have Red Yucca seeds if anyone is interested.

Pat

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Powderpuff- you are an angel for posting and letting us all know soon a couple seed pods will open late this year or next spring!! You are one lucky person to have succeeded in hand pollinating!! That's awesome.
    Anyway- please keep us posted as I would Love to be added on your list for seeds and rooted or even cuttings! I'd gladly pay for shipping ;)

Thank you again for offering

Chuy

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Jandey,
    That's a very nice presentation. Thank you for taking the time to post it. I'm sure it will be very helpful for many that aren't familiar with how this procedure progresses and an eye opener for even the one that do. I won't show it to my husband. LOL Right now he isn't thinking about long term, he just thinks they are cute little seedlings and is enjoying how different each one can be from the same package of seeds.

I tried to cull 2 more this morning and he said just leave them.... sigh. He loves the seedlings but the big, heavy ones, not so much. My guess is his devotion to the babies will wane once they go into 1-5 gallon pots.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Jen, it's exactly what's going to happen with me! I started all the seeds received knowing that not all will sprout. Well, they beg to differ. So they ALL sprouted until now! Still have more to start but I think I will just store them nicely until next summer. :D

Great pics you've taken! Thanks for sharing. Congrats for your babies! ;)

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heh.... So I certainly had that thought, that perhaps I was going overboard when I planted all the seeds I did. (See the picture I posted last week, above). And my wife still rolls her eyes at my project, though now not as much. I'm hoping they all pop up, but will be happy with any that do and I'll be moving them into the winter nursery in a few months to keep them going till next year... :)

I'm looking around now for the parts and equipment for the indoor greenhouse setup. It's fun shopping....

~Bob

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Jen, your pictures are awesome. Could you please tell me what the soil is that they are planted in and what fertilizer you used and how often to get them that beautiful green leaf and doing so good?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Glad the photos are useful for everyone!

Pat, that was a couple years ago, but I remember using bagged sterile seed-starter mix for the first soil. Then when the seeds sprouted I scooped them up with a spoon and transplanted into "big girl" soil, which that year was composted shredded wood mixed with perlite.

I used whatever fertilizer was handy, liquid or slow-release. Seedlings are great because they grow quickly and need little care until winter, when they need spraying to keep the white fly and spider mites down.

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen! That is exactly what I did. Won't know how I did for a little while. I do not have a lot of patience so not sure this hobby will be good for me. I can't help but check every morning to see if the seeds have germinated. I am going to give it a good try. Thanks again.....

• pat9240
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen! That is exactly what I did. Won't know how I did for a little while. I do not have a lot of patience so not sure this hobby will be good for me. I can't help but check every morning to see if the seeds have germinated. I am going to give it a good try. Thanks again.....

This post was edited by pat9240 on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 21:14

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions