Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Anyone know where to get Embers in SoCal?

georgecc
10 years ago

Looking to pick up an Embers (is it also called Toba's Fire?) in Southern California. Does anyone know where I can find one? Would love at least 3' rooted, but may even go with cutting if I can't find tree. Haven't had luck so far, but this is a big group!

Comments (12)

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Don't know about So. Cal but I have a 3 tip rooting that was destined for eBay.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I see them on eBay, they go for a good amount of money...

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Simi,
    Happy 4th!! Janell in SD was really good friends with the Toba's and had Toba's fire, I think she was the first in So Cal to have and sell it along with a TON of Lani. Janell use to be very, very active with the So Cal Plum Soc in SD. You can try to contact her via her website she started and ask, but do not be surprised if she does not respond, lots of plumie history/water under the bridge...
    Pic of a Toba's Fire Lei (Janell).

Tobas fire blossom:

Good Luck on your plumie quest!!

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Janell's Site

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much PlumyGirl, that sounds better than what's on eBay now! If I can't get one locally, I'll see if you still have it and go from there.

It's pretty expensive at Exotic Plumeria, given they are unrooted cuttings. They sell under "Embers", on ebay I saw it under either that or Toba's Fire.

Freak, thank you so much for the response and the beautiful pics! I wish I had it now, what a beauty! I contacted Janell to see if she had any and see what my options were there.

I really appreciate the help of this group, put things out there and someone will know!

I have a Jeannie Moragne outside of my sunroom window, and it is so freakingly intensely colored that it jumps out at you when you open the front door, even though it's in the back yard and it's only a 3-tip 5-footer. It's super saturated deep salmon and magenta with orange and yellow. From a distance it almost looks like a crimson explosion - photos cheat you of the actual effect. The problem is that it is so intense, that everything I try to put near it seems to look lifeless and almost disappear next to it. There is space for three trees in this area - the Jeannie is on the right, a Bill Moragne is on the left, and the problem is what plumeria to put in the middle. The Bill Moragne is almost ready to bloom for the first time here, and I think that will hold up, with its bright pink rainbow. I was thinking that a Toba's Fire/Embers would hold up well between those two, contrasting with and complementing both - intensely bright yellow (sometimes orange) with red edges? Think it will work. Do you guys think that would be a nice looking trio? There are Teddy Bear Palms between them (green and white striped trunk palms with rust colored throat that looks and feels like teddy bear fur, and lots of fronds - when these get taller than the plumies, there will still be really nice trunks to look at).

I appreciate all the help, thanks.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and Happy 4th to you Freak, too! I'm really looking forward to it.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Simi,
    When you put positive and negative next to each other it makes it pop, or enhances each other like Yin and Yang of color.
    A lot of times I put a hot yellow, or day glow colored plumie next to a dark red one like Wildfire or Hilo beauty, or even white like Samon Fluff or Hong Kong, will really set the color off.
    The one good thing with plumies, if you dont like the way the look together pull them out and swizzle them around. I personally sink the pots, makes it easier to move later, unless you know for sure your going to keep the plant there.

Cheers and Happy 4th.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Freak,
    That's why I thought the intense yellow of the Embers/Toba's Fire would look good next to the Jeannie's intense pink/red. But you're right about the sinking a pot method. A number of my plumerias are planted, but many are in pots, sunken in, like you do. Great way to test for placement. I can say I've moved things around a lot!

On the other side of the yard, I have a Hilo Beauty in the center with a California Sunset to the left, a Bali Hai Gold to the right, and a Caladine in the back. Can't wait till the Hilo inflos open so that I can see the effect.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Simi,
    Tobas fire is also day glow/neon in color like my Aurora, J Morange, K WIlder, San Miguel. Tobas fire depending on the heat and sun looks yellow with a red stripe or Orange day glow or even Mauve kind of . It might be like for like color wise.
    Do you have an Emmersons Pink Nova? In your area it will like super rich like a red.

• georgecc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point, Freak, I was thinking about that. It's possible that Embers won't be yellow here, and won't be enough of a contrast. (I'd still want one, it just may end up at a different spot.)

Just checked out Emmersons Pink Nova. It's a beauty - and it should be pretty red over here. I used to have a Kauka near the Jeannie, but they were too similar color wise.

I spend so much time looking at each one I have and figuring out where each would look best. Luckily, I don't know if I've ever seen an ugly plumeria yet, and even the ones that turned out to be other than what was claimed (Orange County Craigslist plumeria sellers - I may be talking about some of you!) turned out to be beautiful.

Separate from the Embers/Jeannie, I've placed about 17 plumeria on a hillside, and I can't wait till they're all blooming to see if I made the best placement decisions! But like Freak said, you can always move them (some are sunk in pots and none are that huge).

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Plumygirl, is your plant for sale from your own tree or another grower?

Is the original Hawaiian or is there a Florida one like Toba's Fire that is being called Embers? I hate this name confusion!

It's such a beautiful flower--thanks for posting those pics, James! A lot of us would love to have it, but hold back because for those prices we'd like to know for sure that we're getting the Tobas' original.

George, that would be a great color combo with Jeannie. Wish I lived close enough to see it all come together!

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

I wish I had a parent tree of Embers!!! My three are originally from The Exotic Plumeria in Seffner, FL. A while back I did a favour for the owner and he thanked me with some cuttings. I've found the folks there very nice and easy to deal with. Apparently there have been some ins and outs over the "correct" name. I don't get involved with the petty stuff especially when it turns nasty. More important things to stress over. The attached photo is the first bloom off one of the Embers a.k.a.Toba's Fire. Heat has deepened the colour and the red edging so I should probably take some new photos.

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Hey Y'all,
    Embers is an AKA for Tobas Fire. Allen Bunch knows Mrs Toba and the way I heard it after Richard passed on Mrs Toba needed help with all her husbands trees. Allen offered to help her with the the patch including shaping/pruning, etc. Well Allen kept the cuttings and sent them back to FL and renamed them. I was told by another source in Maui that allegedly Allen went back every year and kept trimming. This was several years ago, so I do not know if he is still going to the Tobas, his plants maybe large enough to support Exotic Plumeria with all the cuttings they need...but who knows?

You can also get Tobas Fire AKA Embers @ the Southern Calif Plumie Society sale, well @ least they had it at the cutting sale. I am attaching a link to the variety list from the Spring cutting sale and the Tobas fire aka Embers was listed

Hope the info helps.
    Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: So Cal Plum Societ Cutting sale list

This post was edited by freak4plumeria on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 1:01

Sponsored