Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumejunkie

Garden Updates

plumejunkie
9 years ago

Well my trees are finally in full gear here in the Bay Area, they've been blooming for a couple weeks now or so. We've had unusual weather this season, lots of cooler weather & humidity, very few days in the hundreds at this time like we're used to. So my color hasn't been awesome, but my trees are mature & the extra humidity has helped a bit.

Noid 1
This tree never sceesces to amaze me in it's ability to change everything from color to petal shape. Here's this years offering...

The 1st bloom

Comments (28)

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I take it back, my trees have been blooming for atleast 3 weeks now.
    Here's another a number of days later....

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A couple from the other day

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And finally a couple from today

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uno mas

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Noid 2

First bloom, it's not quite this neon....

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This tree is prone to have 4 & 6 petal flowers, here's a 4...

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one from today

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Purple Haze
    It's not getting enough sun....

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty. So glad that they are blooming for you. I have some that I have had for a long time and still waiting for them to bloom. It is funny how the weather will change the color. Thanks for the pictures, Barb

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Amazing noid you have there! I can relate to unusual weather. I live in zone 7 New York State. I am about 45 minutes away from the PA border.

Our summer temps started out great! We had temps in the high 80's to low 90's. Temps didn't stay like that for too long, and then we were back to normal. Temps in the mid 70's to mid 80's.

I noticed My Taj Mahol produced a nice inflo, and also my JJ Orange. Yesterday, I found an inflo on my Psycho, but nothing on DSP, and JJ Super round. These 2 usually are first to produce inflos and here we are almost at the end of July, and they still have no inflos!

I am hopeful that the heat will return and stay long enough to get my other trees going. Tomorrow they are calling for temps in the high 80's to low 90's but then another stupid cold front is going to roll in on Thursday. GRRRR!!!

Hi Barb! I hope your other trees start blooming soon! I bought my very first Penang Peach 3-4 years ago. The seller told me that the tree had a huge inflo and buds were jus starting to mature. When I got it, it went right under my HPS light, and the resulting blooms and scent were AMAZING!!! About a month later' my bulb burned out. My gorgeous blooms turned a lemon yellow and they barely had any scent! This happened in a matter of a few days! Once I got the new bulb in, the buds that opened were back to normal. In fact, that tree bloomed almost non stop right up to my birthday mid April!

Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Looking awesome, Plumiejunkie!!!!

Love them all... You are doing a great job as always!!!

Jason, right?

Please keep posting.. Love to see what you had!!

Sorry we couldn't meet up in Cali... Maybe next time!! How is the birdie? ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• chuy415
    9 years ago

So beautiful!!! Amazing how the colors change and fully open as well!! They almost look fake.

Chuy

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys....

@ Barb - you should have seen them last year in all the heat.....wow!

@ Andrew - so if your weather is going to be bad, how bout an experiment? I was reading about using white painted boards to reflect light. This was supposed to make a NOTABLE increase in blooms. Might be an interesting experiment.

@ Laura - actually I've only been doing ok, I've lost 4 plants this season. 1 of which was my 4 tip musk rainbow.... :(. I was able to save the very top of it so we'll see if it will root. I've been experimenting with different kinds of mixes & It was really weird that the other plants that I had 6 plants planted in the same mix that are doing just fine.

It's really too bad I couldn't make it down, it seems like you all had a great time!

Oh, that 1st tree I posted is the one I'm going to send you a cut of nxt season, it's branching nicely & should make for some great trees. It will be interesting to see how it does in your east coast humidity.

Birdie is buzzin around chirping as always....lol

@ Chuy - man, I've got som pics from last year that TOTALLY looked photoshopped, but they're not!

Thanks again guys,
    Jason

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Just beautiful!

• texasplum
    9 years ago

that first noid is amazing! crazy how much it changes.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

That's a lovely assortment of blooms, Jason, and your NOID is wonderful with its many looks.

Musk Rainbow/George Brown is a very touchy one, from everything I've heard. That's probably why we rarely ever see pics of the flowers more than one at a time. Still, I hope it roots for you!

I wonder if styrofoam would work as well as white-painted board for indoor light reflection?

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ jandey - how bout rolls of Mylar like the guys use in grow rooms???

@ Texas - here's a couple from last year when we had the triple digits...

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1 more

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!

• tamela_star
    9 years ago

What are the names of them? They are lovely!

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ tamela - I have no clue, they're NOIDS. They 1st 2 were gifts from the professor of horticulture @ S.F. State University when we moved his greenhouse from Hayward to S.F. He didn't know what they were, just gave them to me as a gift for my excellent work..... :P

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip Plumejunkie! I keep a good share of my trees on the concrete sidewalk. I do know that this helps to raise the soil temps quite a bit.

Yesterday we were around 89 degrees, and today we barely hit 75! I think I spotted a few more trees that may be sending up inflos. It's a little to soon to tell...

I am loving this tree. If you ever would be interested in selling a cutting or doing a trade, please let me know, and I can let you know what I have.

Andrew.

9 years ago

Awesome Jason!!!

I love the changes in that Noid! Always something different.. Those are the best kind. Thank you for thinkng of me. Mahalo!

So sorry to hear of the losses. But it is how we learn to see what likes a particular mix. Hard to believe that the others did well in the same and you lost a few. That stinks..

Haven't seen Birdie Around? Hope all is well. I'll have to send her an email... She is awesome!!

Thanks for the beautiful pics . Stay cool out there!!
    We are having another blast of heat .. Argh!!!

Take care, Jason !!!

Laura

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Andrew - we can probably work something out, send me ye your list. Only thing is I won't be ready to cut till next season, Im hacking the whole thing down.

@ Laura - mahalo to u2... :)

9 years ago

To you as well....

I also am rooting a Musk Rainbow... It's possible. Others say it is difficult. Cover your ears.. Just do it!! I know you can!!!

My ears are covered and I didn't say anything to my cutting before I started the rooting process. If I know some are more difficult, I stress. If I don think about it.. They root.

I'm sorry for the losses.. It happens to us all... ;-)

Laura

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

I will have several cuttings this year and I will let you know as soon as I cut them. Good luck with your Musk Rainbow cutting!

Andrew

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!