Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Kapalua!!! ;-)

Hello Everyone!!!

I finally have my computer working.. don't know what happened, but I couldn't get my pictures to upload to Photobuckket or even attach to send an email.. Argg!

I wanted to share some Pictures from my Kapalua that I received as a special gift form a wonderful person and then another wonderful friend to help get this Bad boy here to my home. I am so grateful for the help, the generosity of my friends.. YOU are awesome. Both of YOU!!!

When I received him in November, I kept him in his original container because I didn't want to cause anymore stress then it already had. It went to sleep for the winter and I checked on my new baby quite often!!! ;-)

During the spring, he was slow to show signs of waking up. I left him alone and placed him on the top deck and propped him up since he was so top heavy. Well... after he started to leaf out, he wanted attention all of the time!! I was willing to give him all of my attention, but he wanted more.. lol He wanted water every other day. If I didn't water him, he would wilt. Since I had four inflos on him.. I wasn't going to mess with him so that I could possibly cause them to abort. So I just babied him.

Most of you all know that I have to work out of town and I can be gone for days. I was worried about the need for water since I could see the leaves and inflos wilting. I had to move him to a larger container. Knowing that it would cause the inflos to abort, I still had to take the chance.. He needed more room and more water retention. The tempory container that he was in needed to be changed..

Here are some pics of the process.. You will see some pics of the first inflos.. STOKED? YOU betcha!!! ;-)

Here is a pic of my Kapalua after one day of watering...
it is right beside the grill...

Pic of the old container and the new one right beside the tree...

Container ready with screen to prevent mix from coming out of the holes...

My new baby.. in it's new container.. He sure is happy now.. ;-)

I moved the Kapalua to the corner.. you can see it is right in the corner beside my other large trees... it is happy there!!

Some of you know that I had to tackle this beast a few times because it was windy and it kept trying to tip over...

Well.. I caught it several times and on the last time.. I went down on the deck only to save the tree. I think I would have been an excellent football player.. keeping my eyes on the ball and just concentrating on bringin the ball to my chest and keeping it safe. Well.. that is what I did. I caught the tree and took the fall. The first thing I did after I talked to the Plumeria Gods for a few minutes.. LOL ( better than saying "stars" ) I collected myself and checked the tree for any damage. No broken branches.. no bleeding on the tree... LOL.. I had a few bumps and bruises and no broken bones either.. ;-) YOU all know what we would do for our trees... LMAO!!!

Here are some other pics...

I did post some others..

These might look better because they are with my camera and not ipad..

I didn't notice the six petals on the California Sunset until Robert said something.. Good eyes Robert!!! ;-) This is the only one.. all of the others are five...

Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop

More of the kids... lol

rooting bin.. Notice the center "antler.." That is a Kapalua.. this one is starting to show leaves.. Thanks the Plumeria Gods!!! ;-)

Kohola

I also love Adeniums too!

Desert Sunrise

my favorite... ;-)

The Tuberoses are about to open.. YES!!! Ill post a pic soon!!! I can't wait to smell these beauties...

California Sunset..

Have a great Night!!!

Laura

Comments (33)

• rox146
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wow Laura, that 5th from the last Adenium is too sexy!!!! roxanne

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL... She sure likes to show off her "trunk" LOL!!!

;-)

Thanks Rox!!!

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura!!! Laura!!! Laura!!! I'm so speechless!! Every single plumeria you have is just so beautiful and healthy green and full of life. I wish I could be your neighbor to also enjoy looking at them and taking pics - lol!! The colors are just so gorgeous. You sure have a very nice collection! (Jealous! ;))
    Your grandson is too adorable!! Looks so happy in the water :0).
    Your adeniums are beautiful too- I bought one from trader joes about a week ago and one day hope its as healthy looking and colorful as yours. The mix is what always gets me- lol!! Gotta get me a desert sunrise!! Love the California sunset too!! Beautiful flowers!!! Ugh! Jealous :)

Chuy

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! All of your plants looks so good and healthy! You have some big trees! I didn't know you had that many adenium :o. Very nice.

Mark

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Laura, one gorgeous photo after another - stunning from start to finish. I need to take a break for a few minutes and soak in the epic load of beauty I just viewed! That yard is paradise! And what a beautiful baby! Perhaps I'll pick up an adenium when I get my tuberose! You're an inspiration as always.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Awwwww Thank you Chuy!!! You live in beautiful Cali... sigh. I only try and make my backyard feel like I am in Cali, Florida or somewhere tropical... We all need to feel that our homes can be a place to relax.. I work long hours and when I come home, I want to just relax and get lost in my trees... Thank you for the sweet comments!! You know what I think of you!!! YOU are a sweetheart!!!

Enjoy your time in Cali.. I will be out there next year!!! ;-)

Hi Mark!!

Thank You!! I have quite a few Adeniums.. Soco's etc.. LOL.. I have some from Mark from Az.. Went in with a group and ordered from Rinoa in Taiwan.. Love those!!! also from Kukuan in Thailand.. It is bad.. Not as bad as the Plumeria addiction, but it is bad. LOL I especially love the Montrose Adeniums.. They are awesome. I also have some Pachypodiums too.. gifts from a friend here in VA. I need to repot.. All are in the Gritty Mix and are doing well. If you want to see.. ill post some.

I know you like them too.. I see you at the Adenium forum.

Need to get there to post.. I just love this forum too!! I spend most of my time here.. Good people.. Great Karma!!

I have you on the list for seeds.. they will be ready soon!! Good luck.

I potted up two yesterday.. it will be fun to see how long it takes to sprout.. I can remember the date because it will be my daughters birthday tomorrow.. actually today.. its late!!! ;-)

Take care...

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura! :0). Great to be on this forum and get great advice and spend time on here learning! Great people and some interesting and funny posts too! I'd love to see more pics ;)

Chuy

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Woo hoo. Finally kapalua shows up. You never said it was a huge tree!!! I thought you just had a small cutting. That's one is awesome!! Alan would charge a grand for that sucker.
    Thanks for the pictures.

Mike

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Wow Laura. What great blooms! Love the adeniums. I only have room for one and it's got buds and blooms on nearly every tip.

That is one gangly tall plumeria that you repotted. Yeah, I have some like that too. It seems they just do that in pots sometimes. Especially in the 'North', where they're not growing outside 365 days/year.

Your grandson is lucky to have free pool access!

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

I would love to see your pachy's Laura! I haven't had the best luck with those. I have two 7 year old plants that have survived!

Mark

• nativec
    10 years ago

Laura

That tree was a serious score! I love it! All the pictures are wonderful(especially your favorite-what a smile!).

So I was noticing how beautifully staged all your trees are, and then I started thinking this is a good way to hide any additional trees that sneak in. Let's face it, its pretty easy to slide a 1-5 gallon pot in between the others without "anyone" noticing. LOL I only point this out because I'm guilty of the same thing:) Great job!

You know I also have a soft spot for the adeniums too! I have one in particular that everyone calls "the couple" I can't tell you why here :)

Can I just say I'm going to start getting excited NOW about your visit next year!!! AHHhhhhh & whoo-hoo! I'll start working out my budget today because I have a funny feeling that with both of us at John's at the same time I could do some serious damage to the pocketbook.

Oh, a tiny confession...I visited Brad's website last night...ugh-oh :)

XO!

Nicole

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Nicole, please post a photo of your "Couple" adenium. I love them, I just got two of my first...

• nativec
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse- I'll try to snap a quick pic when I run home this evening. The "couple" is not blooming yet, but I have one that is blooming enormous flowers, I haven't started pruning it yet so it's a bit lanky and ugly. I'll see if I can grab a pic of that one.

I hope I won't get in trouble for posting....adeniums..yikes!

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

I've got dibs on a hands-on tutorial visit with you!! next time you come this way, please. I've got a guest suite to lure you, plus a 'cuzzi & pool too, you'll feel so at home minus the chores!! SNA is closest but LGB and SAN are good too. =)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Aloha Laura,

Would love to know how hard Kapalua was to root. Have read about it being quite hard and I have it on my wish list. Is the smell to die for? Is it really the truest orange of all the plumerias? mahalo, roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

This is to thank Laura. I was whining about how much I'd like a Kapalua last year, and one day I receive this beautiful rooted cutting delivered to me (with a couple of other plumeria friends she tossed in). When I say rooted - they were even in pots! There was so much kindness demonstrated in everything, down to the standard-setting quality of her packing (I even took pics of that, so that I could learn the technique of the master - she should record and sell a plumie packing CD!).

It was one of the nicest gifts I've ever gotten. My Kapalua from Laura now has a center spot in The West Lawn portion of my yard. Laura, she sends greetings to the mother tree! I'll send pics as she grows. Laura has been an inspiration since the first day I posted on this site - for both her knowledge and her kindness (and that's not even mentioning her enthusiasm - which seems to know no bounds!). Thank you again, Laura, and I'll take good care of orange K!

• rox146
    10 years ago

you know what???? There just are not many people around like that anymore....power to her....roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

She doesn't just act like she's a nice person. She's the real thing. That is a rarity!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Your trees look great! I'm wondering why Kapalua isn't orange? I expected it to be almost tangerine orange. I hope I am not going to regret spending big bucks on it. Don't get me wrong, it's very pretty but I was expecting it to look like the picture on EP website.

Desert Sunrise is magnificent! Mine spent the summer putting out roots and growing. I doubt it will bloom this year, very few have bloomed for me this summer, can't figure out why. perhaps still adjusting. I have not lost any and we have had so much rain. No problems with lots of rain and the gritty mix, nice not to worry about that.

• nativec
    10 years ago

Simi-that is a beautiful story about a beautiful person. I'm looking forward to finally meeting her.

Right, Laura?

:)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Thanks George!!

You talk about stunning blooms? LOL.. your yard is one tropical Paradise.. I am always amazed at what you have blooming and what you have done to your yard..

As far as what I sent to you.. it was my pleasure. Always fun to do and you know I like to give. Makes my day to know someone loves the trees that I sent. Packaging? lol ... I was afraid you would say that you needed a chainsaw to open them!! LOL.. glad they came all intact!! lol..

The Kaplua that i sent to you was from another friend from Florida. It had a few roots on it already, I just babied it until it grew up and was happy and healthy enough to send to you.. Glad you like the others too!!!

Thank You George for the kind comments.. They are really appreciated right now..Glad I could make your day!!

You do the same for me and others here on this forum.. So MAHALO to YOU!!!

HI Mike!!

He sure is a big boy!! Yes, it was a wonderful gift that I will always treasure. This was a cutting from the original tree from EP. It was huge when I received this gift.. Many thanks to my friends who all helped me get this baby here to me. Thank you to the original person who gifted me this beauty,, and to the people who brought this massive beauty here to VA!!! Words cannot express how happy I am... ;-)

Rox.. I have heard it is the truest orange, but since it was my first season and the first set of inflo in a new climate, it probably isn't the true color of most oranges.. I think in time it will change for me. I think next year, I will see more beauty .. it is hard to even imagine, because he is so handsome to me already!!! lol... As far as rooting, I have heard he is very difficult. But, some say reds are too.. I have a cutting from the original tree that I have in my greenhouse that is showing signs of leafing out and pushing inflos.. it did cut a few off and it is now pushing more leaves.. I haven't touched it .. lol I am leaving it alone, so I will be really excited to have success in rooting one!! The smell I have from the blooms is a rose scent.. I am terrible with fragrance.. but it is a very sweet smell of roses to me. I sent the person who gifted me a pic. They confirmed it was some of the colors that they had and that they will get more orange as the heat and humidity as well as it needs to acclimated to my area. It makes sense to me. I knew that already, but liked the confirmation!!! ;-)

Nicole.. love to see the couple... LOL.. always fun.. ;-) You wont get into trouble posting.. this is my thread and I don't mind a couple of pics of "couples.." lol

He was a "score" and im still in shock about this gift.. so is another.. we are speechless about the generosity of some of our friends.. I like all of my trees lines up for inspection!! lol easy to look at and to water and fertilize...

It is easy to "squeeze in some others that just happen to appear" LOL.. I learned from the best!! ;-) I can t wait to see you and have fun together too! It will be wonderful!!!!

I am afraid that I will have to set a budget.. well I also will have to travel by air, but that hasn't stopped me yet.. right?

Visited BBB huh? LMAO!! That is dangerous!! ;-)

Lnorigb.. You are so kind!! You bring a smile to my face to read your comments.. You are so tempting.. how can I refuse? Thank you.. I would love to visit you!! Mahalo!!!

Hi Dave..

Yes, this one tree that I had to "tackle" in many ways.. it is tall and Lanky, but it sure looks wonderful to me!!! I love it!!! I also love the Adeniums, Arabicums, Soco's etc. They are all addicting. I have some new ones from from Tawain that will open soon.. They are beauties.. Hold on to your hat!!! I am sure your one will multiply!! ;-)

Hope you and the family are well..

Have a great summer!!!

Thank you George... truly touching.. thank you...

Powder.. HI!!! I think they are so many variables in the coloration of the Kapalua. You have the great heat.. I think you will see in time the beautiful oranges.. My friends tree is orange and does and sometimes they see some blooms with some other colors to. MY tree went through so much this season that I was amazed I had inflos and that they stayed on. Then I had to repot too! So the blooms that I did have and the color that I had .. I was very happy!! They did have a tangerine color.. it is hard for the camera to pick up the true color. Hopefully, I will have some others that will open so you can see the true color. Remember, it does take several season for some to show the true colors... I don't think you will be disappointed.. give it time. You have wonderful growing conditions there.. Lucky you!! ;-)

Desert Sunrise is a beauty.. I am always so impressed with the coloration in the blooms.. I think yours went through such a major change with the move and then all of the repotting, that they will produce for you next year and you will see the great blooms that you have started in the plants this season. remember, it is what we do in the year before that makes a beautiful bloom... I know you will be happy!!

Glad you are happy with the rains and the Gritty Mix!! It is awesome.. Have a wonderful summer!!

I posted on another forum that I wanted to go to the Keys and I ended up in SF. Yes, he won!! LOL... Emerson told me to contact him .. that would be awesome to meet up with him and his wife!!! I will let you know when I go down there, Thank you for everything!!

Hi Mark.. I will get some pic of my Pachys for you.. they are young, but are doing well. I treat them like my DR's and they actually stay with them on the deck right with them!! Thank you!!

Have good night everyone!!

Laura

• nativec
    10 years ago

Here is "the couple". It's hard to believe but its about 15 years old. Sorry for the poor photo, I had to take it on a brief stop by the house. I only have a handful of adeniums because I love them too much and we all know another plant addiction could be bad! The second photo is just a bloom pic of the scraggly one, the flowers are enormous! I have to figure out how I want to prune him. The little heart on the bloom is the size of a dime for reference.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Oh Laura-LOVE LOVE LOVE your pictures as always! WOW on the Kapalua!! Gorgeous!! It couldn't be in more capable hands! Your yard is such an oasis, just heavenly. I don't know where you find the time but it sure is amazing, as are your plants. The baby is just OMG precious! Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Emily !

Thank you so much!! I do love these beauties Especially the Kalalua!! I'm still speechless at the generosity. I can't thank them enough. ;-). It will always be a very special tree from two very wonderful people!! Mahalo!!
    You my dear. Have some gorgeous trees!! Talk about having such beauty!!! You have the gift girl. Oh my, do you have the gift !! ;-)

Nicole. OMG. I thought I was going to spit my Iced tea on my computer. I laughed out loud so much. People looked to see what was wrong. Lol. Love those cute couples. Lol. They do have a way about getting those roots all tangled up. ;-). To funny. I'm still laughing. Now I can see why you were hesitant to post. It's a tree. Not a xxx site. Lol. Way to funny!

Thanks for the chuckle. It will get me thru the day and then some!!!

Omg. Still laughing. Ok. I need to go and clean off my uniform !! My iced tea went everywhere. Lol

Xoxo

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 17:50

• nativec
    10 years ago

LMAO... sorry about the ice tea and your uniform Laura I tried to warn folks about it. It has been an ongoing joke for years now at my house. The people who know "the couple" come over and give it a rub on the bum! I have some distrurbed friends :)

Geez now you have me cracking up at the fact that you cracked up... LOL

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Laura - I have been MIA and have a lot of catching up to do so I can only say "WOW, what a tree!" I"m sure if we were to hear the whole story on it's journey to you, it would be amazing. Love all plumie people!

Nicole - I'm blushing! Well, not really, but if I were truly a lady, I would be! :)

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Laura, Emerson and Nancy are wonderful people! I hope that you get to meet them. If it wasn't for Emerson there would be no Ryan Chelsey or Gulfstream. Such nice, interesting people.

We just had a horrible storm. Wind must have hit 50-6- MPH. Many of my Plurmerias were knocked over. Only one lost a small tip, a big one fell on my Kapalua, luckily no damage. Toba's fire was halfway out of the pot, gritty mix all over the place. :( My Delfel that was in the ground broke when a big one in a pot fell on it. I will root the top and hopefully that branch will put out new tips. Duvachelle lost a tip, but that was it.

The worst damage was to my Sweet Almond and I'm so sad about that one. It split right down the center of the trunk. I will miss the almond vanilla fragrance that scents my back yard and sunroom. I will be on the phone first thing in the morning to try to find a decent size standard to replace it. Plus it was giving my newly rooted Plumies dappled sunlight so they will all have to be moved tomorrow. sigh... always something.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Laura, that Kapalua is huge! Glad you were able to give a good new home, and a much bigger pot. Should reward you with some big inflos next summer! Do you know if it's supposed to be a reliable bloomer? Probably not compact, lol.

Nicole: teehee.

Mona, glad you're back again!

Powderpuff, sorry to hear about the damage from the storm. Hope the plants bounce back soon for you!

• kaktuskris
    10 years ago

Hi Laura!

I had to come over to the other side to say your Plumies look amazing as usual...Your collection is so impressive, I am sure due to the amazing love and care you shower upon them.

And a couple of those Desert Roses do look rather risque indeed, unique. Well, that last one Nativec posted is almost obscene...

Christopher

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Nicole. I have to get my uniform dry cleaned. Lol. Only kidding!! ;-)
    That was to funny. I love to laugh and when I do .. People hear me. Not sure if that's a good thing or not!!! You're so cute!!! Thanks for the chuckle. Hope to meet the tree some day when I visit !! We will have so much fun!!!

Hi Mona !! Nice to see you!! Hope all is well.

Thank you for the kind comments !! It is a great story about the tree and I will always be thankful. It had a long journey and some wonderful friends to make it all happen. Glad to see you posting again !

Hi powder. OMG. I can't believe the damage. I know you are sick about this.
    How is Toba's doing? Showing any positive signs? Glad your kapalua wasn't damaged. Did you find. Replacement for your Sweet Almond?
    I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is always something. So sorry..

I am looking forward to meeting Emerson and his wife. That will be a highlight of the trip! I'll be in touch before I go. Did you see the response about the question you asked about the gritty mix and rootball ?

Let me know if you have any questions!! Take care, powder !!!

Hey Jen!

You know how pleased I am. ;-). I will give it a great home and I'm just still tickled !

I think it is a reliable bloomer with the size of the tree. Lol. I don't think it's a compact either!! Lol. I had to really strong arm this one!
    Thanks again. As always !

Hi Christopher . Nice to see you on this side. Thank you for the nice comments. Always appreciated!!!

I do love my Plumies and Adeniums!! Thanks again! Oh. Those adeniums do have their own way of expressing themselves. Lol. We are just having fun. No harm in showing the roots in some iof these mischievous little trees !
    We can't control them. They do what they like ...
    I have some others that are forming massive roots Not sure what to think. Lol

Have a good night!!

Laura

• nativec
    10 years ago

Oh Laura I knew I should have put some explicit warning up before I posted the couple:). But knowing you laughed makes my XXX adenium picture so worth it :). Okay minus messing up your uniform.

• Minderella
    10 years ago

Laura, I guess I missed all the pics It has just boxes saying Look whos Popular

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mindy!!

Check them now...

I was sent a message from Photobucket that I maxed out my free limit.. LOL.. They want $ for more storage.. It should be available now.. I just checked.. they re there!!!

Hope you are doing well.. I see you at the other forum.. Seems like things are growing well.... I am so happy for you!!! ;-)

Thanks for posting..

Laura

Hi Andrew.. I received your email.. i'm sending a reply asap.

I had a long 4 day trip and it was super hot in the east.. I thought I was going to drop everyday.. it was that hot...

Take care,

Laura

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company