Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

The Elusive Purple Jaded Dragon Plumeria

Tropic_7
11 years ago

This was one of my first plumeria from Brads Bud's & Blooms I bought as a grafted plant back in 2008.

It's now taller than I am and planted in the back of my plumeria garden untouched and not paid attention to until Tropical Storm Debbie.

After cleaning up and raking dead leave did I notice an inflo from way up high. Got home from work today and it produced 4 open flowers.

This is the second time it's ever bloomed for me so I thought it would be nice to share?

It has kind of a long name: Purple Jaded Dragon "Saeng Manee / Mangkonyok" (Thailand) Plumeria frangipani.

Hope you find it interesting? Stuart

Comments (31)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Stewart,
    Thanks for posting this...looks like a real winner! Love the shape of the flower and the dark colors! Hmm...may need to add this to next years list, along with Sanmarie if I can ever find a nursery that carrie it!

Andrew

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Boy, I hope mine someday will produce flowers as nice as those. Mine was so badly damaged in shipping that it has taken a long time to come back. I hope this year it has a good summer. I would be happy to get some flowers like yours.

• Minderella
    11 years ago

I love that flower, very beautiful. It is always fun to get a surprise.

Mindy

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's planted 2ft from an 8ft fence, so I don't see much of it's growing activity and that's way I called this "Elusive"
    I'll try to get some better pictures as it fully opens.
    To me it's not a vigorous grower and it may be due to it's location I have it planted in?
    To me more interesting than a "show stopper" but noteworthy!
    Stuart

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

It's a show stopper to me! :) I have not seen anything like it... Stuart you have a lot of unique plants that's for sure. I love the shape and the color. What's the fragrance like?

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi No-Clue,

My sniffer is not working well today, but here's what Brad's Bud's & Blooms said about it and oh by the way, I dont' think he's got it available anymore?

BBB statement:
    Just in from Thailand. A 2007 Thai introduction produces large clusters of 2 to 3" red to purple-red and yellow flowers. The petals are overlapping, round, golden-yellow with red to purple-red area along edge and red veining spreading from the base. The flower buds are a dark red with the petioles dark red to almost black. The fragrance is a medium sweet honey with a hint of wild strawberry. This is a most unusual Plumeria with an interesting and stunning color combination.

• summerof66
    11 years ago

Beautiful, I love the shape of the petals. Thanks for the pictures!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

love the color!
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Are you kidding me Staurt? Sweet honey with a hint of wild strawberry sounds heavenly. When its old enough to cut I will be in line for a cutting! :)

• joanr
    11 years ago

Stuart,

I love the coloring of this plumeria. Mine is just a baby and it is a slow grower so I probably have a few years to wait before it blooms for me but it will be worth the wait for blooms like that. And I guess it is true, if you leave them alone, they may just surprise you.

Good job on that one.

Joan

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Stuart,
    Another beauty!!!!!! The love you give those plants show!! Keep those wonderful pictures comming.

Jackie

• plumie_girl
    11 years ago

Beautiful! That would make my day! Would like to see more pictures later. Enjoy!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

Very nice I like the color and the shape.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's photo's followed by a storm!
    Not a very vigorous tree and only 2 major branches.
    I had to get up on a foot stool to capture the image with me in it.
    Just to the right is the other branch with 3 tips.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Stuart - that is a beautiful flower! You know, so many varieties end up looking alike but this one is rather unique in my opinion. I like it very much!

The younger flowers are gorgeous in their darker coloring! And the sky in the last photo is very familiar today! LOL

My sister lives in Olympia, WA. She really misses hearing thunder.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Stuart!

Just gorgeous...

This is one beauty to be proud of!!

The terrible dark sky looks like what we had today.. We had two inches today in five hours of rain. More expected tomorrow..

The trees are really enjoying all of this rain , heat and humidity!! Inflos are ready to open any day..

Take care,

Laura

• tommyc
    11 years ago

Beautiful, and thanks for the visits.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

must be raining everywhere, it`s dark here too. Some low over Lousiana moving our way.
    Great pic of you in the middle. My crinum just finished blooming but she is sending up yet another flower spike. All this rain is making all the cinums bloom.
    Tally HO!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Yrs!!! Tally HO!!!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More CRAZY RAIN!!!!
    One more photo between showers!
    You can see not even an 8 foot fence can hold back the wind!
    I don't mind the rain, but the wind is unforgiving!!!
    Stuart

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

What a beauty. And all the rain too. You lucky dog!! Hehehe.

Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Oh My! Did you move to Kansas, Stuart? I would be soooooooo worried if I saw my trees blowing like that. Your Purple Jaded Dragon is beautiful and love the different shape to the pedals. Peg

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Peg!

My goodness NO!!!
    We get straight wind storms down here that are heat driven and not even the 8 foot fence can hold it back!
    It's the only time I can spend on the back porch without being attacked by mosquitoes!
    It was 97F degrees today and after the rain it was 74F.

Aloha! Stuart

• nativec
    11 years ago

I love that bloom!

The wind...um not so much! It makes me cringe to see your trees being blown like that! Hope all is well and the trees survived the wind.

Nicole

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the wind is hard on the plants but it is the only time you can go outside and not be bitten isn't it? Walking from the parking lot to work we look like crazed people swatting and cursing. You need a blood transfusion by the time you get in.
    Tally HO!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Nicole, The trees are fine! Thank goodness, It's amazing to me how resilient plumeria are.

beachpalnt, Yes! the only time you can sit on the porch and enjoy to cool air and no mosquitoes!

Aloha, Stuart

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

I LOVE that flower! Absolutely beautiful!
    The wind looks terrifying. I gasped when I saw the picture. Glad your trees made it through okay!

~Rachel

• nativec
    11 years ago

Stuart, if I may ask what is the "spider" type bloom in your plumeria garden? I noticed it in the first pics and it caught my eye:)

-Nicole

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole, the spider type bloom is Giant/Grand Red/Pink Spider Lily Plants (Crinum augustum) Seed Sprout

Want one? Super easy to grow and grow over six foot!

ALOHA! Stuart

• nativec
    11 years ago

Hi Stuart-thank you for taking the time to photograph it! That is really beautiful. What I didn't realize when I spotted it, is that it belonged to that HUGE plant! LOL Before I sold my house(where I could put everything in the ground) I had a few crinums, but none of them grew to 6'!!!! I don't know if this is hardy enough to grown at my new place. When I looked it up is said it is hardy to -20F in my area???

You see when I bought my new house, only 27 miles from the house I sold, my growing conditions changed dramatically. My summers are hotter but during winter I get several days below 32F and I usually get at least one light snowfall. Not knowing this is what cost me most of my collection of plants when I moved.

After that long story... What do you think? Clearly I can't see it being happy in a container :)

Many thanks!

Nicole

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole, I sent you an email.
    Thank you Stuart

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES