Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyvegan_gw

Plumerias grown from seed. What did you end up with? Photos?

happyvegan
10 years ago

I have been reading so much about Plumerias. I have purchased some seeds and now have my first batch of seedlings. They are a mixed seed pack from Maui Plumeria Gardens, so these are total mysteries. (I love the suspense).

I was just curious if any of you have grown from seed and have photos of the parent plant and the child plant's blooms. I searched everywhere trying to find parent to child photos and came up short.

I appreciate it :-)

Comments (19)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

emily or elucas here is the queen of seedlings. She has posted some recently that are outstanding and bloomed in just a year.

To answer your question. You never know what it will look like or even when it will bloom. Most often the seedling will resemble the parent except in the case where 2 very different and unique plants are the parents. For example All of the infamous Moragne hybrids were crosses between Daisy wilcox, a large almost complete white with Scott pratt, a smaller dark red. That cross created some of the most beautifully colored and unique flowers.

Typically you can expect 3-5 years before they will bloom and even then it may not be their final look. Penang peach seedling seem to bloom the fastest.

One member here has seedlings going on and past a decade and have not flowered. And that is in California.

mike

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hi happyvegan! Congrats on your new babies! You bought from a great place, one of our few recommended sellers actually. It's also good because there are a LOT of interesting, high quality plumies there to possibly get pollinated with another one to make something nice.

Mike gave you a lot of excellent info! Seedlings are just a crap shoot as far as characteristics and bloom time - there just isn't a whole lot of information out there so we are all learning from each other. So please keep us updated on your babies, we want to learn from you too!

Awww, Mike, thank you- you are too kind!!! I think I got a little spoiled with the first 3, I have a new one that is just ok and one that is, in my opinion...well, ugly! But I have 2 other ones forming after that so hopefully they'll be good!

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

E... I want to see the "ugly" one!!! I'm curious to see the gamut of seedling possibilities.
    Also... Have you noticed anything about trunk or leaf color on your seedlings versus the color of the flowers?

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I can't post from my work computer anymore, I can only post from my phone during the day so I'm going to post the picture now of the ugly one and then write some more later from work! LOL!

Here it is, Kimi Moragne seedling bloom - maybe it will improve over time? It is a kind of odd color, pink/purple-ish? Mauve? I don't know.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Well I think it's interesting! Maybe it will even out a little. It does look like a Kimi Moragne seedling, I can see that. Thank you for posting!

• rox146
    10 years ago

I really like it...does it smell? 4 of my 25 seedlings that bloomed first had a unique smell but very small blooms....HUGE tap roots. They are now in the ground out on the street side and I am waiting for the rest of the '05 seedlings to bloom. roxanne

• jandey1
    10 years ago

E, that's still a very cool looking seedling bloom. Could have great potential, even if you don't find it very pretty now.

Yes, as Mike says, it's a crapshoot, but that's what's so fascinating about plumeria seedlings.

• pcput
    10 years ago

Looks like a pretty kids pinwheel to me :)
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Emily...

You could have your own " Kukiat " tree there...

I LOVE the color and the interesting variation... It is what makes it unique.. Look at Kenny's Corona Surprise. It is different, just like yours. I think it is really beautiful. I don't see anything ugly at all... ;-)

This could be the one....

I am serious... ;-)

Strong work!!!

Xo

Laura

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Happyvegan-ya know, I looked at my seedlings and I would say that so far dark leaves are not necessary to have a darker flower like a red, but my darker ones haven't bloomed yet to say if they are always or usually darker. So anyone who has 'regular' colored leaves, it could still be something colorful or dark! Also, I sure didn't mean to hijack your thread!

disneyhorse - that's what I hope, that it evens out a bit. The buds grew fairly long before they opened so it does have a decent size to it.

Rox - ya know, it has a faint smell but to me so far several of them don't have much fragrance...it could just be me? The heat? I don't know! I would love to see your seedling blooms, I hope they don't keep you waiting much longer!

Jen, you guys aren't going to help me get rid of any LOL! I thought, if they don't look good they have to go...easier said than done!!! It is a strong plant with decent size blooms & big inflo though, hopefully they clean up.

Peg - it does look like a pin wheel! It reminds me of a distant cousin of 'Granny Rolong' (Grainy? IDK)

Laura you're so sweet! I guess I was quick to judge, I should go easy on her, she's just a baby LOL!! Oh man, Corona Surprise - hubba hubba!!!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure Grainy, or Granny, Rorong/Rolong is an aka for Kimi Moragne. I think Kimi is also know as Grainy Morange. If you don't know that the G in Moragne is silent, you might pronounce it more-ang. You can see how it evolved into Rorong from there, lol.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I have many plants that I have grown from a seed and only before this year had a couple that bloomed. This is one of the ones that bloomed for the first time this year. I will post a picture of the one that bloomed last year and also the other one that bloomed this year. I have at least 2 or 3 more so far that will be blooming for the first time. The one in this picture is a small plant, which I was surprised that it bloomed but the flowers are about 4 inches across.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

This is the other one that bloomed for the first time this year. It is on the smller size.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I had a smaller dark red bloom last year but can not find the picture for it. But I also had a pink one that did bloom for the first time and that plant was huge. Here is a picture of the flower.

• Quaching
    10 years ago

I am in the process of growing seedlings now. I have 66 sprouts and about 12 others that are about 9 inches tall. I have given 8 of the 12 big ones away already...pay it forward. One of the big ones that I kept has 4 branches and it was the smallest one, about 7 inches tall. I also have a sprout that came up with two individual sprouts and I know I only planted one seed in the jiffy pot....maybe that one will grow up to be something really cool. Has anyone ever seen one seed produce two sprouts? I will try to post a picture shortly.

Happyvegan, unfortunately I really can't help because none of mine have bloomed and will not bloom this year since they just started off.

• Quaching
    10 years ago

Here is the pic of the seed that had a double sprout. I know it was legit because I pulled one wing off the sprout thinking it was one sprout and out popped two sprouts.

• Quaching
    10 years ago

Here is the pic of my 7 inch seedling with 4 branches also.

• veronika33
    10 years ago

Hi Quaching, I was always wondering if this kind of branching is just occasional... Is there a way how I can make my seedlings to branch that way?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Veronika, it seems like this is something a few seedlings in a hundred will do, but I'm not sure if it's possible to force them to do it.

I've seen seedlings that were "topped" to try to induce branching, but the seedlings then just grew one branch that grew straight up like the original trunk. Of the dozens of seedlings I've grown, only two grew even one side branch. Elucas actually had several that multi-branched, and she grew different varieties than I did.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone