Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Pollinators, Protectors And Munchers!!!

Hi Everyone!!!

I had some visitors to my yard this week and thought it was time to show a few...

Some were welcomed and others were not!!!

Do you have any to share?

Pollinators....

{{gwi:97801}}
{{gwi:97802}}
{{gwi:97803}}

Protectors....

Just found this guy today!!! ;-)

He decided to rest on my Royal Hawaiian...

{{gwi:97805}}
{{gwi:97806}}

Savannah watching out for my trees... ;-)

Munchers... Argh!!!

{{gwi:97799}}

After his lunch... Sigh...

{{gwi:97800}}

Take care,

I hope you all are having a great summer!!!

Sunset over the Chesapeake Bay... Night!!!

{{gwi:30012}}

Laura

Comments (20)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Laura - I think I have the cousin of the mantis on your Royal Hawaiian! I will post pics soon. Tell him his West Coast cousin says hi! I also have pics of the insect that looks just like a leaf, will dig up those pics, too!

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura- thanks for sharing such cute pics :). Savannah is my youngest daughters name. Lol. Cutie pie!!
    Love them all!! :-)

Chuy

• rox146
    10 years ago

Gorgeous as usual Laura. I have a new to me predator, a small lime green triangle like thing that seems to suck out the white stuff from a very tiny hole it makes. Will try to get a photo but very flighty. roxanne

• pcput
    10 years ago

Here's mine! I think it's a sibling of Laura's "LOL"

• pcput
    10 years ago

I found the rest of the kids.

We were cutting back bushes in front of the house and found about 6 of them. They got moved to a new job site in the back yard on the plumerias :)
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Simi!!

My Mantis is waving at your Mantis!!! " From Sea To Shining Sea..." ;-)

I can't wait to see pics of the little guys!! Put a pic of Tug and Mike in just because... Lol!!!

Hi Chuy!! I love the name Savannah!! I'm sure your daughter is a lovely young lady!! Thanks for the sweet comments!!!

Hi Rox!!! Thank you!! I would love to see your little guy... I hope he isn't doing to much damage... Take care!!!

Hi Peg!!!

I think you have some of the brothers and sisters!!! Lol!!!

They look like they are doing fine... Love those little guys!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

I can't wait to see those blooms!! ;-)

Found another creepy muncher today.. It was so unique, but looked like it could harm anything that touched it. Probably just the way it was naturally armored.. Look at this beauty...
    Take care,

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Laura - your last little guy is a Saddleback and yes, they do sting!
    Your Pandora Hawk Moth is very pretty.
    All Peg's little guys are cute, too!
    Savannah is the cutest of all, though! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right Mona...

I was just checking with a good friend and it was confirmed.. I checked it on line and saw what it can do.. Glad I decided to move this critter with a stick and say " BYE BYE.... ". Don't need this dangerous critter in the yard with dogs and little ones around... YIKES!!!

Thanks...

Savannah is such a good girl.. I love her so much!! DOGS are the best!!!

I will miss her when my son moves out.. ;-(. I guess I'll miss him too!! LOL!!

Have a great night!!!

Laura

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Bad news has arrived. See him?

• georgecc
    10 years ago

How about now?

• georgecc
    10 years ago

An insect that looks like a leaf so that it can eat a leaf and not be noticed. Boy, nature can be weird!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

The good guys can be scary looking (not just to other bugs!), but they do a heck of a job.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

And here's to my biggest plumie protector, guarding over Safari.

• pcput
    10 years ago

Simi, I saw those leaf grasshoppers too when we were cutting the bushes. One flew off and was spared but the next ones got the bug spray. I had no idea they would eat the plumerias. They are BIG too. I have never seen them before. We also had 2 wasp nests in the bushes so had the spray out for them. Hope I don't find damage from them but at least know them will do it.
    Peg

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ew, I hate those big leaf grasshoppers. I keep two 1x2's handy to squish them with but they're fast.

What I want to know is, what is eating on my brugmansias? Seriously, they are extremely toxic yet some insect keeps eating them.

• astrl
    10 years ago

Yeah, don't touch that saddleback caterpillar. I accidentally brushed one a year and a half ago in a mad rush to bring plants indoors before a freeze, and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I'd rather be stung by a wasp, which is saying a lot for me. It left a scar on my hand for months.

I love all the pics!

astrl

• astrl
    10 years ago

Here's the little culprit.

astrl

• astrl
    10 years ago

And the "protector" I prefer...

astrl

• pcput
    10 years ago

I had another one show up for a job. He was one of 5 more I found today. I promptly showed him where he'll be working. Must be feeding well as they are getting bigger. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ewwwww...

That saddleback is nasty looking....

I hope I never see another one of those critters. Those eyes... Ewwww!!!

Sorry to hear that it was so painful, astrl. I hope you never see another as well.

Hi Peg!! Looks like yours are getting some munchies at your house.. Love those bigs guys!!!

Here is another muncher that was around a few days ago...

They are stripping leaves left and right.. Grrrrr!,,

Take care,

Laura

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler