Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Celadine.... Common, but beautiful!

arctictropical
11 years ago

I never get tired of the color and fragrance of my plain old Celadine plant.

Comments (16)

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I just stared a cutting of this one, now I know why I got it, lover the color

Bear

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Kevin!!

I agree about the Trusted Celadine.. She is one of the true beauties and has the fragrance of the Islands.

A true Plumeria to have in everyones collection...

How is everything in Utah?

I havent seen you posting much.. but i havent been over to the Palm forum in a while... They are after me to make the Pindo Jelly.. LOL!!! I trimmed all of the seed pods because they get so big and they are a pain to prune later after they get larger and set seeds. So... while the "son" was home.. he trimmed the Pindos and Sabals of all of the seed pods. They looks much better, but i dont have the fruit tho. I told some of them that i will find some and make it hopefully in the next few weeks..

Hope you and your trees and doing well.

The Celadine is a true beauty!! A true CLASSIC!!!

Great pic!!!

Take care Kevin!!!

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

awesome classic.

If I may ask how long does celadine typically take to root.

I started my cutting from Exotic Plumeria on June 24 and so far no signs of roots. Yesterday was 9 weeks. I did the water bottle method. No signs of rot or anything like that it just isnt doing anything.

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Beatufitul! Congrats on your blooms! Celadine is one of the best for fragrance so who cares if it's common? I'm babying my rooted cutting that I got from Almost Eden this year in the hopes of getting blooms next year. I can't wait and will no doubt post pics of my proud achievement if mine does bloom! :)

-Robert

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I just got a cutting of a celadine an I hope to one day see beautiful blooms such as these, mine is also rooting right now as well.

I always say if I cant go to Hawaii I will bring the paradise to me! LOL

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comments everyone. Interesting... my daughter bought this cutting at the Honolulu Airport less than 1 and 1/2 years ago in April. It promptly started growing under grow lights in the basement and bloomed in June. This is it's second bloom. It was just the typical inexpensive cutting that you seen in all of the stands. I've bought a lot of expensive named varieties, but Celadine is just as beautiful, and has my favorite plumeria fragrance. Hi Laura! I've been too busy to post pictures. I've got lots to post. I did post one of some huge ensete bananas in my yard in the banana forum. Mike, at least for me the standard method of sticking the cutting in a pot with the typical plumeria soil under warm grow lights, has always worked.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

artictropical - Isn't it funny how sometimes the most common and inexpensive things can turn out to be something so very wonderful? And now you have this beautiful plant to always remind you of your daughter. That's just too sweet! :) My ensetes never get huge :(

I have a noid going to bloom soon. My DH is hoping it's celadine.

• pcput
    11 years ago

arctictropical , I agree cause it was a celadine that started my love of plumerias. I had to figure out what is was because my mother-in-law told me it was called a "fancy pansy". It's that smell that just draws you in :) Peg

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

The are also very forgiving to novices. I have three at home and four on a rooftop plantings at work. The take full sun and just produce flowers all season. I usually get about 1/4 of the branches to bloom twice a season.

The fragrance can fill the entire patio the plantings are positioned next to.

11 years ago

Reading all this really makes me wish mine was big enough to bloom! Can't wait to be dazzled by the fragrance and reminded of the tropics. :)

-Robert

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

The are also very forgiving to novices. I have three at home and four on a rooftop plantings at work. The take full sun and just produce flowers all season. I usually get about 1/4 of the branches to bloom twice a season.

The fragrance can fill the entire patio the plantings are positioned next to.

11 years ago

Fenius from the fragrant forum had this to say about Celadine's fragrance (which I love so I thought I'd share)- Well I can't really say how Celadine compares to other plumerias since it's the only one I've ever smelled but I really love its fragrance, it reminds me a little of Magnolia grandiflora but it is more subtle; less oily and finer, maybe mixed with lemons as they say but it also has an exotic note that "citrusy" does not really describe.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Kevin,

Good to see you and your plumies back on the forum. Your Celadine is gorgeous. I join the chorus of Celadine praise--I absolutely adore this flower and the scent. The most exceptional thing about it (well, besides the fragrance) is how much variety in appearance the combination of yellow and white can create. Here is mine from earlier in the summer, glowing in the light of sunset. Love it!

Greg

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome pic, Greg! I wish I had your climate to grow my plummies in. (sigh) I'll keep struggling in this cold mountain valley. Everyone else... thanks! It's amazing that so many people enjoy this beautiful variety.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Gorgeous pics! I cant wait for mines to bloom some day. :3

• astrl
    11 years ago

I love, love, love Celadine. It was the first plumie I laid eyes on in Hawaii and it is one of my best bloomers.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!