Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Rooting a Hilo Beauty Plumeria

Tropic_7
11 years ago

Aloha Friends!

I'm holding my breath with this one ( Hilo Beauty ) knowing it's a RED and how finicky they are about taking root.

My purchase on this was June 15th and potted on June 27th.

Purchased as a single tip cutting from MPG Maui Plumeria Gardens I was so thrilled when I opened the box and saw a 4 tip cutting ( MPS is always so full of surprises )

So here it is August 2nd and it's produced several leaves and huge claws.

I want to breath easier and post the photos to see what you all think? Is this in the safe zone? I wish I planted it in a clear planter.

Mahalos! Stuart

Comments (21)

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi No-Clue,

I use the local generic bag of potting soil mixed with half perlite. It was rained on for 3 days straight at one point.
    I worried about it rotting but instead it put out large claws for 2 weeks. The the larger leaf on the left side opened up and the others have stared to follow.
    Every other week I use good ol' Miracle Grow in the hose sprayer and spray everything all my plants!
    I can tell you this, we have had the past 7 days real hot outside and sunny, so I'm hoping this does it good?
    I must admit, I spray every other night/after sunset just enough to wet the leaves with the garden hose.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Stuart!!

I think you can breath!!!

It looks great to me and i think you are in a great safe zone!!!

My Hilo has an inflo and im soooooo excited!!!

Congratulations!!!

You are doing a great job.. You know what you are doing!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Oh wow Stuart it looks happy and healthy and rooting away. Cant wait to see your pics when it blooms. I have a thing for red and in my part of this beautiful country I dont hold out to much hope for rooting reds. Keep up the good work!! I just love all your pictures.

Jackie

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Looking good Stuart. Nice thick cutting. I've not ordered from them, but might see what they have for next year. I'm betting there are roots in that there pot. You've got a couple good months of warm weather so you should be good to go. Hopefully it takes off even more.

Big Wave Dave

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Laura, I just know how the "Reds" are and they can fool you by putting out leaves upstairs but downstairs could be trouble!

Jackie, Thank you, I love photography too!

Hi Dave, Oh, let me tell you, they always have plus size in the box from Maui, and always give you a surprise cutting or seeds! They do it right.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

looking good!
    I had no idea reds were hard to root before hanging out here, I've never had a problem. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    Tally HO!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Stuart-I feel your pain, I've waited with bated breath for my Duvachelle to root. Finally after 2 months and 2 weeks I have leaves! Whoo-hoo! Always enjoy your photos. I miss Aloha Friday's ... :). Oh I did sent a response to your email.

Take care,

Nicole

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Congrats Nicole! I'm waiting for my Duvachelle to root as well. She's still at my friend's and he said so far so good... but he doesn't remember is she's pushing leaves yet. I sent five to him that were in critical condition. Hopefully when I get them back they will be fully rooted! :)

• pcput
    11 years ago

I know what you mean Stuart. I had 3 red cuttings that all rotted after 3 months of looking ok. I then got 4 more and with in 3 weeks, 3 had rotted and the last one rooted. I was shocked. It holds the record for the fastest of all that I've rooted. I'll send good rooting thoughts your way. Peg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Stuart, I have never had trouble rooting Hilo Beauty. And I'm in the 'North'. But our summers here are pretty good for rooting plumerias in general. Very warm and humid with warm nights. Ideal rooting times are June through August. That's about 12 weeks.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I took some new photos to show how amazingly dark the new leaves are! I think it's doing ok?
    I'm excited just to see this plant grow.
    It starts getting cooler mid November with nights in the mid to upper 60's
    I'm hoping for more plant growth to occur.
    A few picks of the cutting base I question, but are firm to the touch still.
    Mahalos! Stuart

• pcput
    11 years ago

WOW Stuart, look at all those pots !!! By the way, how are all the cuttings at the park doing? I have a couple of FL friends that might drive up to the sale. Will you be publishing a list of the varieties that will be available? What is the date? Thanks, Peg

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll take some photos out at the park, I have over 200 potted up at the Palma Sola Botanical Park.
    I have 160 new cuttings at home from Kona Hawaii, eBay and MPG. Most came from family in Kona.
    The only thing I don't have is Makaha Sunn, I'm a huge fan of the orange colored plumeria!
    Mahalos! Stuart

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Ah, heat and humidity, I just thought I was super good at rooting.

That is a beautiful cutting.
    Tally HO!

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Stuart,

Your Hilo Beauty looks fantastic! I know you said it got rained on and that you spray the leaves frequently, but have you watered since those leaves opened?? I can't imagine it isn't rooted!

Tony

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tony,

Yes, I've given it 2 recent good soakings in the morning with hot sunny days.
    The sun really makes the black plastic pot hot,
    so I feel it's getting proper care to produce roots.
    All I know is it sat in the pot from June 27th and until now has it shown signs of growth.

Do you have this plumeria? I can't wait to see it bloom one day!
    Stuart

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Sounds good to me! No, actually I don't have Hilo Beauty and have never seen one in person either. The leaves alone are beautiful! I think she may bloom for you next year :)

Tony

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Here's my Hilo. Colors are hard to capture. It is especially beautiful backlit by the sun.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, that's absolutely stunning!
    Like red velvet only better!
    I can't wait till mine is growing like a weed.
    Not worried about the blooms yet, just want the plant to be vigorous and stable!
    Very nice example you have!
    Mahalo Nui, Stuart

• Dean Ayala
    2 years ago

Hello

I started this Hilo on August 26th of this year just took the pick was taken on October 7th.

I am Amazed and pleased 😀