Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daogirl

DSPs are loving the heat!

Most of the plumeria are really enjoying the heat we've been having from their positions in partial shade. The DSPs, though, are in full sun all day, so I've been keeping a close eye on them. They were raised in full sun by their grower -- I'm guessing that has helped them, too. Aside from some leaf bronzing from the sun, they are happy - putting out tons and tons of inflos.

At first I was afraid the river rocks would get too hot, but they have so many leaves, the rocks that are closest to the plant are actually in the shade.

This is the pinkest that I've ever seen the DSP flowers.

This guy is also enjoying their shade:

Comments (7)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Everything looks great. Very nice landscaping.

• labland
    11 years ago

Looking good! I noticed this year that my young dsp produced another inflo, on top of the one it had fom last year. It is still a small one, so, as much as it broke my heart, I cut off the old inflo to give it energy to grow the branches. It too notices in the heat they are much pinker! This is last years photo. I bought it last year off the internet, for $15 through Amazon. It came rooted with all the leaves! Tis was taken early this spring.

I did that this year to my big Singapores that I had cold damage to 2 years ago? It broke my heart, but it needed energy to produce more leaves and grow. Well it has paid off, the two trees I did that to are now branching off of the tips that had been damaged, and one of them has a new inflo. Also, thr smaller cutting I bought early in the spring is also getting ready to open. Yea!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow that looks awesome! I love the river rocks! Everything look beautiful!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

They look so gorgeous Daogirl!

I'm beginning to grow more fond of this variety. The leaf shape and the dwarf habit it makes it such a good-looking plant in my opinion. I sniffed the flowers for the first time last week and it may not be the strongest scent but it is good enough for me. Oh, did I mention I wound up with 5 DSP? I kept going back to HD for more.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Very nicely done. DSP is a real winner in high heat conditions. I have mine in a 12+ gallon pot on a concrete walkway in full sun from about 9am to 6pm and do not recall any signs of heat damage in the two years its been there. I recommend this plant for its branching habits and simple ruggedness. Although the flowers dont keep very long or have much scent to me.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just gave one of those 1 gal home depot DSPs as a gift to a family member. I bought a nice pot from Gainey Ceramics in La Verne for super cheap, and did a full bare-root repot into the gritty mix in the new pot. I wish I'd taken a picture, but I've seen the DSP since and it hasn't skipped a beat. They really are quite hardy!

I agree the keeping quality isn't great, but I have found that their scent (which is quite nice although faint) gets more intense if you pull a bloom off and bring it inside.

Slightly OT, but if you like mid century modern style pottery, Gainey is one of the southern CA pottery companies from that era still in business. Their factory store is in La Verne. You can get first and seconds for super cheap. I got a beautiful 14" white glazed pot for my DSP for $15!! I'm never buying pots at Armstrong or HD/Lowes again!

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip about Gainey. Will have to stop by next time I'm in the area. I drive the 57 from time to time.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH