Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
J-4 - is it naturally a super dwarf?

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 1:49

I purchased two specimens of J-4 from two different Thai ebay retailers back in 2008, one a small one tipped rooted/grafted plant, another a two tipped cutting that took almost a year to root. They both started off slowly, and the cutting I had to root took several years to get going. The larger grafted cutting now is around 30 inches tall with many many tips, in a 15 gallon pot. The smaller one didn't grow much and I finally moved it from a 5 gallon pot to the ground in spring 2013.

Well both are multiple tipped now, the smaller plant in the ground is still less that 2 feet tall, the one in the pot is around 30 inches tall, but both are amazing trees:

Before leafing out, with first a 12 inch measuring stick, and then with a yard stick:

The shorter one:

photo DSC00942Copy.jpg
 photo DSC00946Copy.jpg
 photo DSC01450Copy.jpg

The taller one with a yard stick... 30 inches tall more or less:

photo DSC00944Copy.jpg
 photo DSC00945Copy.jpg
 photo DSC02377Copy.jpg

Finally, recent pictures of both in bloom - I added one of the short plant with my cat Loki next to it to show you how short it is even after a year in the ground.

Shorter one:

photo DSC05059Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05073Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05133Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05132Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05168Copy.jpg

"Tall" one:

photo DSC05083Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05084Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05099Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05100Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05101Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05115Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05129Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05186Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05189Copy.jpg
 photo DSC05191Copy.jpg

The short one with Tai Surprise and J-105 in the background:
 photo DSC05198Copy.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: J-4 - is it naturally a super dwarf?

Love them -- they sure look compact to me!

And the cacti! How old must they be? Is that big fat one a Trichocereus terscheckii?

o

Beautiful little trees!

o

I don't know about J-4's growth habits, but they sure are nicely shaped, little trees. Nice cat, too! :-)

o

Wow! I am going to have to add J-4 to my list now! They are both gorgeous trees and I love the compact shape! Flowers are gorgeous but how is the scent?

I also love your cacti! It reminds me of my time in Phoenix, Arizona. I visited the Desert Botanical Gardens in spring and seeing all the different varieties blooming was amazing!

Andrew

o

Dave,

That's a 35 year old Pachycereus pringlei cactus, planted when it was 3 inches tall, now closer to 16-17 feet. It's huge, and my one fear is that it is getting top heavy, knock on wood that it won't fall over someday.

Andrew,

The description of J-4 on the websites of two Flplorida sellers claim it has a fragrance, but I have never been able to detect it - but that could just be my sniffer.

o

• Posted by KJMM none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 17:12

Wow I love that plant!!!!

o

• Posted by KJMM none (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 19:13

Wow I love that plant!!!!

o

You may be right about the scent. I remember a discussion had come up on J105. It seemed like the majority of people were saying that it had no scent but I remember Laura and a few others saying that it did have a fragrance. Is it possible that a J105 grown on the west coast may have little to no fragrance but the same variety grown on the east coast could have a stronger fragrance? I remember talking with John from JJ's and if was saying that I knew that I wouldn't get the vibrant colored flowers that he gets, but he told me that the one good thing I did have going for me was the higher humidity. Just food for thought.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here