Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

JL Red, Pink and Rainbow?

No-Clue
11 years ago

Armstrong has JL Red, JL Pink and JL Rainbow. What does that even mean? Does anyone here have them? They labeled them as "Limited" so for 5 a gal it's $99.99 and a 2 gal is $59.99. These came from Tom's Plumerias.

Does that sound fair or too pricey? Tomorrow I will stop by to take a look in person. But I don't want to get them if they are overpriced.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No Clue, you should really check out Island Plumeria in Northridge. I was there today and had my pic of blooming, 2-4 branch 3.5-4.5 foot Kaneohe Sunburst, Waimea, Dean Conklin, this beautiful lavender tinted pink one (can't remember the name), Key West Red all for 55-65 each (there were lots of others at that price, and smaller for 45, but I was looking for magenta/red ones that size and narrowed it down to those). I had been paying 100 and more for ones like these in other nurseries and even Craigslist (don't tell Matt at Island - I don't want to pay more!). And he's nice. Last time I went to Upland they were not cheap (they start at about 100, 89 is lowest I've ever seen).

I ended up with a four foot tall, three branch, two blooming inflo Dean Conklin, but it was a really tough choice. I've driven all over for plumerias, but now I check at Island first to see if they have it. There are not a lot of great $60 buck blooming 4-foot plumerias at nurseries.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks SimiDude but Northridge seems like a country away when you can't drive! :( Man that Waimea sounds awesome!

What did you ended up buying?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

That sounds too vague for the money. $60 is very high for a 2-gallon plant when you don't know exactly what you're getting.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I just checked Island Plumeria's site and they have Gold Coast Peach! If you go maybe you can sniff it and tell me your thoughts on its scent? ;)

-Robert

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No Clue, I understand. Southern CA is a really huge place.

I also looked at a Charotte Ebert and a Mango Blush, forgot to mention those. The Waimea was spectacular, but they all were. I had a really hard time choosing because I kept thinking they all would look great. I ended up with Dean Conklin only because I thought it would look best next to a small Jeannie Moragne I had. But I pulled them all out of the aisle and lined them up together and spent a long time just staring, trying to decide! In the end it worked out great.
    George

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to call Tom's Plumerias and ask them what the heck JL Red means. There were one plant that said JL Red, one w/ JL Pink and one with JL Rainbow. And of course Hula Girl is GORGEOUS!! Of the three branches two look like they are pushing inflos!

So what are the chances that I will find a 5 Gal Hula Girl for less than $100?? Does anyone know? Thanks!!

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey NC,

JL means they got it from Jim Little, and its his bulk generic Red, Pink, Rainbo, wtc. JL sells non named varities also, usually sold on his price list in bulk to people who want a price point. I think the price is a bit high.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you James! So that's a pass on on the JL Red. What do you think about Hula Girl? Will I be able to find a 5 gal cheaper somewhere else?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Robert, I will smell the Gold Coast Peach next time. I believe that one is $45, and I've heard it smells great. I know he has some really nice Australian plumerias that I really liked, one that I almost bought. Too much temptation. I've told myself that once I get my Wildfire (Island had a tree for show but none for sale) and my replacement Jeanne Moragne, no more plumerias till next year! Let's see how that goes...

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Go see John in Huntington Beach.
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/grd/3187013929.html

I was in California visiting family and purchased six plumeria from him. Large healthy rooted plants!!!!
    Shipped them to myself last week and they are already leafing out.
    Lonnie

11 years ago

Yay! Thanks, SimiDude! I keep telling myself no more plumies but Gold Coast Peach(y) keeps calling my name. Laugh.
    You're so lucky to be able to sniff before you buy! :)

-Robert

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, is there any reason you don't order it from BBB? They have it now in stock.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lonnie,

While John has some nice plants... I have most of what he has and he does not have any JL's plants which is what I am looking for. So between Doug and Mike and hopefully Irene and Danny K I hope to round out my Plumeria family.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)

11 years ago

Jandey,

You're terrible. I look BBB's site all the time and have almost purchased it several times however I'm trying to be good...course if I hear opinions on this site about its scent I might go ahead and order it. ;)

-Robert

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,

Email Irene as she sells mostly JL cuttings and plants at the Society sale. Also since this is the rooted plant sale in Sept in SD there are a lot of other sellers also who sell JL cuttings that will be rooted in Sept at fair prices.
    JL Thailand Red and JL RED ORANGE are nice.
    As for JL Hula girl it reminds me of other reds other then it having large inflos.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Freak...I don't know if the JL Red they have is the actual JL Red ORANGE but rather his generic red. So not sure how nice it's going to be. As far as Hula girl I would love a 5 Gal but I don't know how I feel about the price.

I spoke w/ Mike today and he forwarded my wish list to Irene and Danny K. So hopefully btw the two of them I will find something. If not then I will see if I can find some at the Plant Sale.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    JL Red is not JL Red Orange 2 totally different plants. JL Red Orange is very pretty, his red is like a generic red...pretty but not an exceptional red like his named varieties

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor