Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid August blooms on my Typhoon

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 2:03

Took these tonight, only a few inflos this year but massive flowers where it does bloom. Strangely, a lot of the new growths are ending in dead ends, ready to branch again but with no inflos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid August blooms on my Typhoon

One more....

o

So beautiful!

o

Those flowers are very beautiful. Love the color and so healthy looking. Barb

o

Great photos! Love that one. The painted petal edges are really unique. What is the growth habit of Typhoon?

o

Dave,

For me Typhoon has always been a robust grower, big leaves, thick heavy branches, so thick that one large one just cracked off last September as you can see in the gap in the middle of the tree in the attached picture. But it is compact growth, not a rangy out of control octopus like Jeannie Moragne for example. I have found that the inflos tend to be short and often get covered up by the massive leaves, and the current year growth rarely produces inflos - branches always seem to dead end and then branch out, those branches producing flowers in Spring.

o

Thanks for posting pics of your 'Typhoon'. This is at the top of my list of must haves. I was hoping to get it this year but it's looking like it will have to wait for next year.

I'm curious. What size pot did you buy when you got this tree? I'm just wondering how big this needs to get before it blooms. I bought one from Sonia years ago and not knowing any better at the time, I removed the grafting tape which sadly killed the grafted portion. One of my biggest regrets to this day.

Andrew

o

Andrew,

I picked this up as a recently rooted 1 gallon in late June 2008 at Jungle Jack's open house, It wasn't a thick or big cutting and I could never have guessed it would turn out to be such a thick robust growing plant. It doubled in height, and more than doubled in girth that summer and I remember needing to move it up to a 2 gallon in August. I repotted to a five gallon in May 2009 and it immediately broke out into five growing tips and became a small thick limbed tree with huge leaves that year. I seem to recall it had a few small flowers that fall, so it was roughly two season from freshly rooted to first blooms.

But as a caveat, in So California we have a long growing season, with active growth easily into late September/early October before going dormant, some still green and blooming into early December, so results may vary depending on climate zone.

Mike

o

Oh, she's so beautiful!! Must. Have. One.

Thanks for posting those awesome, pics, Mike! Is that spanish moss growing on her branches?

o

I agree.. She sure is lovely, Mike!!

Have a wonderful summer!!!

Laura

o

Very pretty. It's on my list!!
Lonnie

o

Beautiful, and the growth you've seen is fantastic! Mmmm...I think I might be waiting too long to pot up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here