Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctk16

Is it too late to prune?

ctk16
11 years ago

I have a huge plumeria that needs to be pruned. If I prune it I will have tons of clippings, but don't think they will root now. is it okay to save them for the spring? Also what is the best way to stop the cut branches from continuing to sprout new branches near the bottom. I want it to look more like a tree than a bush.

Comments (6)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I see that you are in a zone 10...

Hopefully someone in your area or zone will chime in and help you..

I will say that i think that you would be alright to prune in your area. Being in a cooler zone would be a different story.

We here in cooler zones wait until spring to prune, but i will let some of the experts chime in and help you!!!

Good Luck!!

Laura

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

I am not one of those "experts" that Laura was referring to...but I DO live in zone 10 (South Florida) as well, and if I felt the need to prune now, I would do so without any hesitation, just as Laura said. It may not be the ideal time to prune, but we have a solid two months of growing season still in front of us--plenty of time for the tree to recover, and, probably also ample time for you to root the cuttings you take.

As for your second question, perhaps someone else will have better advice, but if I wanted the results that you say you do, I would just snap off any unwanted new growth with my fingers.

Sometimes when I prune near the base of the tree, I get new growth down there, and other times, I don't. No rhyme or reason that I can see.

Happy pruning!

Greg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Gerg,

As far as im concerned, you are an expert!!!

Does that sound familiar? LOL...

You know what you are doing and i agree with what you say...

You all have a few more months to grow and i feel it would be fine to prune if i lived in that region... sigh!!!

Have fun Pruning!!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Its not absolutely ideal but I think you can do it and root any cuttings and be just fine. Just need to keep them warm and dry during cool and wet weather.

I'll prune tight to the tree when I dont want it grow back out.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i don't know where in z10 you're at, but in Houston z9a there's plenty of time for us to root cuttings. you still have 5-6 weeks of hot weather, then a few weeks of warm weather before the really cold cold fronts start rolling through.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I find it does not matter that much when you prune as long as you use care. Those sticks can be left to dry for a while before being placed in soil. That means if your weather gets too cold too soon which I doubt I have even brought them inside for a while and put them out during the warmer daytime hours. When the weather is too cool they will not put on leafs but as soon as the weather gets well about 60 degrees they should start to put on leaves. I had a friend throw away the cutting I gave them during our "winter" season and because it did not put on roots or leaves they threw the cutting away. I do not even see that is necessary to brake off the leaves as for me if the cutting cannot take keeping its leaves they will turn yellow and fall off anyway.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio