Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

A seedling's first flower

Dar Sunset Zone 18
11 years ago

Remember that inflo I posted a while ago? Well, it's finally bloomed!

-Dar

And also, a NoID with the most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria.

Comments (24)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Congrats!!!
    Both are very pretty, but I'm a sucker for the reds.

Lonnie

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

That seedling is so cool! Do you know what the parent was?

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Dang this forum! I'm such a sucker. I read 'the most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria' and I totally want one now. Laugh.

Congrats on your beautiful plumies!

-Robert

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Dar,

What a beautiful seedling! Outstanding color. Reminds me of 'Pink Pansy.'

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Greg

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys!
    Mike, this is a seedling of Orange Sapphire that I bought from bloomingplumerias on eBay. The scent of the flower is pretty weak so far but it has a scent that reminds me of a woman's perfume. I really do have to stick my nose up in there to sense it though.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Both are gorgeous! And like Robert I'm also a sucker for delectable fragrances . But if it's a NOID we won't be able to find it Robert! LOL.

Congrats on blooming beauties! :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Great seedling, what an exciting feeling to see it bloom for the first time! That NOID is gorgeous!!!

• nativec
    11 years ago

You have two really lovely blooms there! Congrats!!! Your NoID is stunning:)

Happy growing!

Nicole

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!
    Tally HO!

• pcput
    11 years ago

musaboru, I agree with Nicole and elucas101 they are stunningly gorgeous. Too bad you don't know what your noid is so we could also own " most delectable fragrance I've ever smelled from a plumeria". It's so nice to have a seedling bloom and be something worth keeping. How long did it take to get a bloom? Peg

• joanr
    11 years ago

Dar,

How exciting to see the first bloom on a seedling. It is very pretty. I bought an Orange Sapphire from Fuzzy also so we will have to compare blooms if mine ever decides to bloom :) Also your red NOID looks like Rose Red and I know my Rose Red has a very good smell. It is also a good bloomer. I really like that one.

Joan

• shelia__greenthumb
    11 years ago

Hi Dar,
    How many years did it take before your seedlings bloomed? I have 5 seedlings that I am still waiting for them to bloom. Your plumies are beautiful.
    Shelia

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the nice comments.
    I bought this one around 2010 iirc and it was already at least 9inches. So I assume it was a year old by then. So this plant is probably around 3 years old.

-Dar

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I had to wipe the drool off my chin after seeing your flowers, I can't wait to see my fist flower on one of my plumerias.
    Thanks for sharing
    Bear

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I think Pink Pansy and one other named cultivar have that buttercup shape. Perhaps its a seedling from it. Great job and thanks for sharing.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

They are both beautiful..

Congratulations...

Laura

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Love the blooms, maybe someday I will be able to grow a different color.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Dar, that seedling is precious! Just like Pink Pansy but with a lavender stripe--very unusual. The color may intensify as it ages and as the temps rise.

Your NOID is also spectacular. Shame all us fragrance nuts can't buy it by name!

Jen

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Jen,

Someone has stated to musaboru this about her NOID 'it may be Princess Maya which is some obscure variety available from a local wholesale nursery (C Stars)'.
    We'll probably never be able to get our hot little hands on it which is probably a good thing! Laugh.

-Robert

• DelWH
    11 years ago

C Stars sells locally at Armstrong's Garden Center and I have also seen them at Home Depot and Lowes. If you google Princess Maya, you find a guy in Florida who sells wholesale, with a minimum order of 10 of the same variety. The pictures he shows online are the basic ones C Stars sells, including a picture of Princess Maya. He says they are shipped FOB from Gardena CA, which is where C Stars is located. My point here is that the C Stars plumies must be sold many places in the US besides just locally. One could probably contact that guy and find out what stores he sells to.

Here is a link that might be useful: C Stars varieties

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, yes, Thanks Del for the link. When I bought it from HD, it was not in a pot, it was a rooted cutting in a burlap pouch and didn't have any wholesaler tag on it like most plants do at the big box nursery. So it can only be assumed to come from C-Star, but looking at the PDF, I see it bears more resemblance to Princessa.
    I have seen potted C-Star varieties at the big box, but they are usually a few varieties like Playful, Cerise, and Pacific Pearl.

More on the scent: I saw a Penang Peach at a local nursery and my NoID has a similar scent to that but is stronger than that Penang Peach. I guess I wouldn't describe that peach scent as 100% true to a peach fruit as I thought it would be. I can sense other notes like gardenia and caramel in it.

Anyways, here's a shot of the seedling inflo from tonight. The color hasn't gotten any better, we've had 3 digit temps today and if anything seems like the pink bands fade a day after the flower opens. Scent is becoming more noticable but still not anything to write home about.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

I have a C Stars Princesa but unfortunately it hasn't bloomed yet. It appears it will be a tall grower, based on the distance between leaf nodes. I got it in June, in a 1 gallon pot and it is about 2 feet tall already, noticeably taller than the other ones I bought at the same time. The tag reads "Large red flower with gold center and round petals. Fragrance is strong and pleasant".

I'm not sure if they sell them as cuttings in bags, I've been to C Stars a couple of times and it seems like everything is in pots. All the cuttings being rooted are in pots, that I've seen. Of course, it's a huge place and I haven't seen everything.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does your Princessa have a distinctive narrow leaf shape? I notice the leaves on my noid is narrower than most plumerias.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Here's a pic taken right after this surprise downpour today. lol

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida