Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropical_washington

Plumeria Inflo in Seattle!

Hello all! I'm a long time reader, first time poster!

I'm growing plumeria cuttings in Seattle. I have to say thank you to everyone who's posted helpful tips on growing plumerias!

After years of patience and explaining to people that I'm not crazy, I'm totally completely thrilled to say that one of my plumerias has started growing an inflo! It's a 3 year old cutting, from a yellow plumeria in Florida. I bring it outdoors during the day, and indoors at night. Now I'm wondering, how long does it take for an inflo to grow into blooming flowers?

PS - I'll post pics. I just need to setup a pics webpage.

Comments (35)

• Tropical_Washington
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are a couple pics. The plumeria in the middle is growing the info.

{{gwi:1191827}}

I'm excited to see this inflo here in Seattle in mid-August. We tend to have warm weather in the 70's for another month, so I have hope! ... How long does it take for an inflo to grow into blooming flowers?

{{gwi:1191829}}

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Congrats on your first inflo!! I'm so gald that you were able to acomplish this.

I believe that there are so many people in cooler zones(I am growing them in zone 6), that want to grow them but they don't think it's possible. It took me many years to get to where I am now.

I had a Nevel's Gold that did the exact same thing as yours. It produced it's first inflo around the end of August but it dropped due to the fact that the temps were dropping into the 60's at night.

I think what your doing is great. Bringing your plumeria in at night and out during the day. Just be carefull of the swings in temps. That's what did my inflo in.

To me, it's so hard to tell you when flowers will open on an inflo. Based on what I shared with you above, I will say that they will take longer because your temps are getting cooler. I have found that if you can keep your plumeria on concrete that is in full sun can help. Just try to keep it in as much sun as possible.

I cannot give you a time frame for when there going to open. I have a California Sunset that has a bud on it. That bud has been on the inflo for a few weeks but it really isn't doing much. To me, some plumeria just take longer to open there flowers.

Good luck, and my advise is KEEP IT WARM as possible! That's the best thing you can do.

Andrew

• Kimo
    12 years ago

Hey Tropical Wa,

I use to have a vacation house in Alkai Beach and had a Samoan Fluff and Celadine plant that I brought there from LA and it did very well. The only issue was that in late Sept (or when the night temps got into the low 50's) I would have to bring the plants in at night in order for them to keep their blooms, other wise they would drop. Oct on I would bring the plants in.

Your pics look great, congrats on the inflos.

• springpaintings
    12 years ago

Congrats on your first inflo. Very exciting! I think plumeria is a slow growing plant. I have some buds on my inflo that haven't open yet. It's been 5 days.

By springpaintings at 2011-08-21

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your first inflo!!!

First of all Welcome to the forum Tropical Washington!!!!

What a great feeling it is...but, be warned...You will want more!!! LOL! Then you will be addicted like the rest of us!!! We always like new members added to the list of addicts!!!

Congratulations!!!

As far as wondering when it will finaly bloom? That is the question that we all still want to know...they all have different growing habits and personalities...

Welcome to posting here!!!

Laura in VB

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Congratulations on your first inflo! Your patience has paid off and it goes to show that when there's a will, there's a way!!!

• labland
    12 years ago

Congratulations! You are now at the point where you will be checking it daily to see if it starts to open. Fun fun fun!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Congrats! The summers here in NYC are pretty good plumeria growing weather, but like in WA, inflos are still really special to see around here!
    Like everyone has said, the time it takes to bloom from that stage depends on the type of plumeria, and even the individual plumeria since they are all so different. My Divine showed its first inflos 2 months ago and most are still 2 weeks from showing its first blooms. My No ID took about a month and a half from the first sight of the inflo to the first bloom. For me, it takes about 2 months on average from the first sight of the inflo to the first bloom.
    Last year I had a plumeria make an inflo this time of the year, and I still got blooms before it went indoors (It bloomed around October).
    Keep us updated! I also should add that I have pretty decent luck getting plumerias to flower indoors (once they already have an inflo formed from being outside) by keeping it near very sunny and warm window, so if its too cold for it to make its first flower outside, you might still get lucky enough to see it bloom indoors!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• Tropical_Washington
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been a month now. I've been checking the inflo every day and saying prayers to the Plumeria Gods. It's looking good! Here's my cat guarding it, and a close-up.

{{gwi:1191831}}

{{gwi:1191832}}

• pcput
    12 years ago

Congrats on your inflo. It won't be long now. Can't wait to see the pics of it open. Peg

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    12 years ago

Another week or two depending on temps!!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Your guard cat is awesome! Congratulations on the inflo; you've done really well to get it that far in Seattle. You're going to need a bigger pot soon, when the new branches form at the tip.

Jen

• Tropical_Washington
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My plumeria has bloomed! YAY!!! There's a little bit of the tropics here in Seattle now!

My brother sent me the cutting from Florida, labelled "yellow"... well, it is just gorgeous! It has rich yellow petals, with pink stripes on the back, and... it smells like peaches! Based on my research, I think it's an "Aztec Gold".

From this day on, September 29th shall be known as Plumeria Day!

• pcput
    12 years ago

It's a real beauty!!! and a cute dog too. I see the watch cat is still on duty. Enjoy your success you earned it. Peg

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for updating us. The expression on your cat's face is priceless, like she can't believe she's being upstaged by flowers.

Yes, it really does look and sound like Aztec Gold, which means you'll definitely need a bigger pot soon as I believe they are vigorous, tall growers. Nice that the plant bloomed shorter for you! Do you know what the other two cuttings are yet?

Jen

12 years ago

Tropical Washington,

Bravo!!!!

You should be very proud of that beauty!!!

Like Jen said, Being patient has its rewards....

Now it is your time..

Congratulations on a gorgeous bloom!!

I love all of the pics, but i especially love the last picture..it is so crisp and clear. I coould just lean in and take a big whiff! I think that i can smell the scent of peaches too! LOL!!!

Way to go...

Take care,

Laura in VB

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful pure yellow probably Aztec Gold and the best we have seen from the northwest- great job.

• hannah82
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful flowers and foliage. I love how a few yellow blooms can brighten a whole room. Seeing your cat peering between the plumeria leaves kinda took me off-guard and induced an involuntary chuckle. I'm a cat lover myself. Good luck to you and your plumeria!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Gosh I can't help but giggle over that poor cats facial expression. Just makes me laugh cuz I know that kitty dislikes being upstaged by flowers... of all things, flowers! LoL

Beautiful! You can almost smell them through the screen, Just lovely Plumie pictures, thanks for sharing them.

My plumie only has a few blooms left on it's inflo to share this season. :/ Such a bummer! lol

~Tina

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow, that's a gorgeous yellow! It's a real beauty!
    Congrats!

• Tropical_Washington
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words! My plumeria has bloomed for two weeks now, and made twelve flowers! It was such a wonderful surprise at the end of summer.

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing my grumpy cat, Lucky. He may not want to admit it, but I think he likes the flowers, too.

• joanr
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful flower but I really don't think it is an Aztec Gold. The Aztec Gold petals are more elongated. Looking at Florida Colors website it looks more like an Inca Gold but whatever it is I wish I had it. Lucky you!!!

• Ament
    12 years ago

I love cats, surely miss having them around. Having a Great Dane and a Blue Heeler kind of means not much space or appropriate time for a kitty. Give yours a good snuggle for me? :D

~Tina

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Nice job! I've had Aztec Gold for a number of years and I'm not sure yours is, because as Joan mentioned, the petals are a bit more elongated in Aztec Gold and AG seems to have more white on it. Although AG does have the pink band on the back and peach fragrance. Your overall flower looks a bit more rounded.

But never mind about that though, it's beautiful!!!!

Here's my Aztec Gold:
    {{gwi:569774}}

• Saycats
    12 years ago

I realize this thread is probably long inactive but I thought I'd try before posting too many new convos on the same topic - I'm living in Seattle as well, and have renewed my determination to grow plumies (after several failed cuttings lost to rot). I was wondering, Tropical Wa, what kind of successful growing setup/strategy you've had for your plumies here in Seattle? Do you use grow lights of any kind, or are you simply blessed with a good window with strong light? Do you bring them outdoors at all or do you generally keep them inside all the time around here? I've got a small apartment/dorm with all east-facing windows blocked part of the day by another apartment building to work with, so I know it will be a challenge, but I am determined. And seeing your beautiful blooms has encouraged me :D

Thanks for any advice if anyone is still lurking around this thread!

• HU-960062786
    4 years ago

I’m in Seattle. I bought a cutting last trip to HI five years ago. Every fall my plant drops all it’s leaves. It’s healthy otherwise as it keeps getting taller. It’s s nice looking stick in the winter. It’s getting harder to move around and has never flowered. Any advice?

• labland
    4 years ago

Your plumeria will lose it’s leaves each winter depending on your weather. i moved to Idaho and brought a few of my Plumeria with me. They grow ideally in Zone 9 and so I move my plants into my basement (which is heated) during the winter and back out again in the spring when the threat of frost is gone. Also do not water when dormant!

Depending on on how long your summers are, you might want to think about a greenhouse. It will be harder to get them to bloom in your area. Southern CA zone 9 is ideal for growing them year around. You may have a long wait for blossoms otherwise! Good luck!

also fertilizer can help using the right mixture.

• HU-960062786
    4 years ago

Thank you kindly. I do bring it in in the fall. Does yours drop its leaves in your warm basement. I have thought about building a small green house.

• nutsforplants
    4 years ago

I think plumerias are naturally deciduous. Even in HI as trees in the ground I have seen them drop their leaves for the winter. I used to try to keep them from going dormant in Northern CA zone 7a by bringing them indoors near a sunny window but now I let them lose their leaves. I have heard that some varieties need to go dormant to set inflos but I am not sure this is true.

When night temps start going below 60F consistently, I stick them in the water heater closet / basement / garage / etc, and they drop their leaves so I let them stay there without watering for the winter rather than trying to live with them indoors. This winter, I am planning to experiment with putting a heating pad under the pots just in case.

• HU-960062786
    4 years ago

Well at least I know it’s a normal thing for them to drop leaves but it makes me sad every time. Mostly because it marks the end of the season. :(

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Plumeria will naturally start dropping their leaves ( turning yellow and usually from the bottom) because of signs of dormany. This is caused by shorter daylight; cooler temps and in the wild; reduced rain showers. They naturally start this process to conserve energy to last through the semi dormant period . The species “ Ruba”

that most of us have do this most often and then some evergreen varieties ( Obtusa) will keep their leaves. Examples ( Singapore and Hong Kong cultivars)

i will not worry at all when I see them doing this in late September ... I usually bring mine in around mid to late October here in Virginia Beach . They will be brought inside after I reduce watering and I also spray for bugs and use a systemic to help reduce those little critters that aren’t welcome inside the house .

i use my great room and upstairs to overwinter trees . The others will be placed in the greenhouse. Remember to lift plants so they don’t sit on the floor if you store them in garage since they need airflow to keep the roots from the cold. ( keep temps in garage from going below 40 -45 degrees) wooden pallets help to lift them.

Don't worry when you see those leaves turn yellow and drop... it’s all natural!!

Good luck !!

Laura

• labland
    4 years ago

Yes even in the basement my rubra

variety lose their leaves. I do have one P. Obtusa variety which are evergreen (my favorite) which keeps most of its leaves, but they are harder to grown unless the climate is perfect. I love the obtuse (aka Singapore White) blossoms. To me, they are the quintessential Plumeria scent!!

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    4 years ago

HU-960062786 It's normal for Plumerias to lose their leaves as they enter dormancy. The coldest overnight winter temps in my area is 68/70 degrees F with daytime Jan / Feb temps around 82. Once we hit those overnight temps in Jan / Feb, my plumeria all go dormant. I just move them to a corner of the yard and forget about them until March, when they begin to awaken.

In terms of blooming, I would first have to consider age. If a tree is new (3 yrs and under), it is normal not to see any blooms. They mature at age 3 years old. The next consideration is where they are kept during the year. They should be in direct, full sun. Sun = Energy. The 3rd consideration is whether planted in pots or in-ground. Trees in pots require regular feedings throughout the growing season. I have a friend who has her plumeria growing in-ground between banana trees ... It is in constant bloom and never requires feedings because it's getting everything it needs from its neighboring trees.

All the best to you.

Maria Elena

• HU-960062786
    4 years ago

Mine is potted although getting big. Luckily I can lift s lot! I do feed it. It’s in a sunny window indoors during the winter so I suppose I’ve been doing everything right. I would like it to bloom just once tho. Thank you!