Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbauman_gw

How often do you use Super Thrive?

kbauman
17 years ago

Hi,

I just found superthrive have been hearing "give it superthrive" Ok... I gave my plants a small amounts last week. Now how often do I use it, when again? Seems to be a very concentrated mixture. Very hot where I live, have to water my plants in the ground a lot.

thanks,

Karen B.

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I use ST whenever I transplant anything and add it to the water frequently for the first month. I add it to the fertilizer for established plants about once a month. I'll also give it to any plants that appear stressed more frequently.

I like it and think it works but many people think it's a modern "snake oil". It might very well be that I'm just paying more attention to my plants, who knows, but I'll continue to use it. I really do believe it helps reduce transplant shock. I use a capful per gallon of water.
    Karyn

• kbauman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    Sounds like its a product that can be used more often and won't hurt them..I have to ask.."modern snake oil" what does that mean.. ha
    Do you think it helps the plant produce more? I used it for the first time last week when I watered my plants. I have to feed this weekend, should I use it again or wait awhile?
    Karen B

• kbauman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Karyn,
    oooh ok..ha now remember hearing about snake oil..ha I gave the super thrive last week. I try and feed every two weeks to my established plants, I use a hawaiian blend, 50 in the middle, seem to be doing ok.

I have to spray I guess, dern. my plants in the sun are just covered with gnat flies, all over them and above them. I have schultz which has the neam oil in it, but know in our heat, it will defoliate the plants. Used it when I had a plant with rust, lost all the leaves, died. Got to stop the infestation..shoot, some of the plants had leaf burn when we hit about 112, are all coming back..well shoot. ha
    always something. Good luck on your cuttings.
    Karen B.

• pharoah
    17 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Whiteflies will hardly ever completely attack Plumies. You may see an occasional circle of eggs on the underside of leaves, but I will just spray water on them and they are gone. Just keep watering until it gets cooler in the late fall and keep your babies healthy and happy. Zap whiteflies with water. They surely won't be around in winter.

Tony

• kbauman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for coming in..appreciate this. I was going to spray tomorrow, now won't.. was so afraid the spray would ruin all the leaves, suppose to be three digits monday, not sure if what I have is white flys or garden gnats, never seen white flys. So many of them in the air, all over the leaves, frustrating

WAs so afraid they would hurt my babies, these are in the ground, 7 of them doing well. These are the ones that had such problems in the heat, have all came back with gusto.

Ok..now Question...I have thick coco hulls on the ground, not around the plants, put the hulls down a couple weeks ago for weed control, its a 10' x 10' area, might this be pulling the flies just heavy the last couple weeks?. so many of them! should I remove the hulls?
    thanks ..ohh.. did your pacific pearl bloom, did you get a multi-color one? hope.
    Karen

• john_luvs_frangipani
    17 years ago

I keep reading about using vitamin b-1 when you transplant your plants. Doesn't superthrive most likely have b-1 as one of it's ingrediants? So do you really need b-1 and ST?
    I know the label says something like 50 ingrediants...vitamins and hormones. I couldn't find a listing of those ingrediants anywhere. Does anyone know the secret formula? Thanks

John

• pharoah
    17 years ago

Karen,
    To me that makes sense about the hulls. If you hadn't had them before and now suddenly you do, I would assume the hulls are attracting them. It's just a guess though.

Regarding Pacific Pearl, LOL!! Yes, it just started blooming and the flowers look identical to yours with the color splash. It's beautiful, but if it really is a virus, I'm hoping it doesn't spread to the others. I like to keep the varieties what they are. C Stars told me that excessive heat causes that to happen which makes sense with our weather.

Tony

• kbauman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Tony,
    fantastic on Pacific Pearl..I only had the one and enjoyed. I don't know on the virus, hope in your case no, but sure are pretty!!!!.

I removed most of the cocoa hulls today from my garden...was hot! Flys went to the hulls in the wheel barrow, and garden! so tomorrow will turn the soil over and hope they will leave. Lot of my plants in the sun are yellowing especially one bothers me whole plant is yellowing is a 4 cane one. mystery plant., hope comes out of it fed it today, suppose to be hot tomorrow, will see what happens.
    Karen B.

• kbauman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Tony,
    fantastic on Pacific Pearl..I only had the one and enjoyed. I don't know on the virus, hope in your case no, but sure are pretty!!!!.

I removed most of the cocoa hulls today from my garden...was hot! Flys went to the hulls in the wheel barrow, and garden! so tomorrow will turn the soil over and hope they will leave. Lot of my plants in the sun are yellowing especially one bothers me whole plant is yellowing is a 4 cane one. mystery plant., hope comes out of it fed it today, suppose to be hot tomorrow, will see what happens.
    Karen B.

• pharoah
    17 years ago

Karen,
    You may need more water to prevent the yellowing especially if you have sandy soil. My lower leaves will start to yellow if it is hot and they are too dry. Also, consider watering with 1 teaspoon epsom salt dissolved. That has helped me on occasion. Actually, I use it about once a week.

It does appear the culls were the problem. Hopefully those nasty flies will go away!

Tony

• Anna Lawton
    2 years ago

Anna I have a tetrasperma plant about 5 months it is not growing good this is Dec and I am just getting a leaf I thought it was a fast growing plant what am I doing wrong .

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    2 years ago

Where in the world do you live?

I don’t know anything about your particular plant, but many plants go dormant in the Fall/Winter where they slow down or cease leaf production and new growth completely.

Could it be that your plant is simply dormant?

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions