Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How often do you use Super Thrive?

Posted by kbauman 9 So. CA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 3:10

Hi,
I just found superthrive have been hearing "give it superthrive" Ok... I gave my plants a small amounts last week. Now how often do I use it, when again? Seems to be a very concentrated mixture. Very hot where I live, have to water my plants in the ground a lot.
thanks,
Karen B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How often do you use Super Thrive?

I use ST whenever I transplant anything and add it to the water frequently for the first month. I add it to the fertilizer for established plants about once a month. I'll also give it to any plants that appear stressed more frequently.

I like it and think it works but many people think it's a modern "snake oil". It might very well be that I'm just paying more attention to my plants, who knows, but I'll continue to use it. I really do believe it helps reduce transplant shock. I use a capful per gallon of water.
Karyn

o

Hi Karyn,
Sounds like its a product that can be used more often and won't hurt them..I have to ask.."modern snake oil" what does that mean.. ha
Do you think it helps the plant produce more? I used it for the first time last week when I watered my plants. I have to feed this weekend, should I use it again or wait awhile?
Karen B

o

Hi,
In the early days people would sell elixers that supposedly cured everything. They were called snake oil peddlers. Most of their concoctions were probably worthless junk with a bit of opium. Opium made anything feel better! lol

I don't use it with every watering on my established plants but I doubt that it would hurt. I do think that my plants seem healthier since I've been using it but that could be because I've been taking better care of them and using different fertilizers. I like the Spray n Grow, Bills Perfect Fertilizer and Cocowet mixture for foliar feeding too. For new transplants I do use ST with every watering.
Karyn

o

• Posted by kbauman 9 San Fernando Valle (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 0:22

Hi Karyn,
oooh ok..ha now remember hearing about snake oil..ha I gave the super thrive last week. I try and feed every two weeks to my established plants, I use a hawaiian blend, 50 in the middle, seem to be doing ok.

I have to spray I guess, dern. my plants in the sun are just covered with gnat flies, all over them and above them. I have schultz which has the neam oil in it, but know in our heat, it will defoliate the plants. Used it when I had a plant with rust, lost all the leaves, died. Got to stop the infestation..shoot, some of the plants had leaf burn when we hit about 112, are all coming back..well shoot. ha
always something. Good luck on your cuttings.
Karen B.

o

• Posted by pharoah Sherman Oaks CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 2:51

Hi Karen,
Whiteflies will hardly ever completely attack Plumies. You may see an occasional circle of eggs on the underside of leaves, but I will just spray water on them and they are gone. Just keep watering until it gets cooler in the late fall and keep your babies healthy and happy. Zap whiteflies with water. They surely won't be around in winter.

Tony

o

Hi Tony,
Thanks for coming in..appreciate this. I was going to spray tomorrow, now won't.. was so afraid the spray would ruin all the leaves, suppose to be three digits monday, not sure if what I have is white flys or garden gnats, never seen white flys. So many of them in the air, all over the leaves, frustrating

WAs so afraid they would hurt my babies, these are in the ground, 7 of them doing well. These are the ones that had such problems in the heat, have all came back with gusto.

Ok..now Question...I have thick coco hulls on the ground, not around the plants, put the hulls down a couple weeks ago for weed control, its a 10' x 10' area, might this be pulling the flies just heavy the last couple weeks?. so many of them! should I remove the hulls?
thanks ..ohh.. did your pacific pearl bloom, did you get a multi-color one? hope.
Karen

o

I keep reading about using vitamin b-1 when you transplant your plants. Doesn't superthrive most likely have b-1 as one of it's ingrediants? So do you really need b-1 and ST?
I know the label says something like 50 ingrediants...vitamins and hormones. I couldn't find a listing of those ingrediants anywhere. Does anyone know the secret formula? Thanks

John

o

Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 14:18

Karen,
To me that makes sense about the hulls. If you hadn't had them before and now suddenly you do, I would assume the hulls are attracting them. It's just a guess though.

Regarding Pacific Pearl, LOL!! Yes, it just started blooming and the flowers look identical to yours with the color splash. It's beautiful, but if it really is a virus, I'm hoping it doesn't spread to the others. I like to keep the varieties what they are. C Stars told me that excessive heat causes that to happen which makes sense with our weather.

Tony

o

Hi Tony,
fantastic on Pacific Pearl..I only had the one and enjoyed. I don't know on the virus, hope in your case no, but sure are pretty!!!!.

I removed most of the cocoa hulls today from my garden...was hot! Flys went to the hulls in the wheel barrow, and garden! so tomorrow will turn the soil over and hope they will leave. Lot of my plants in the sun are yellowing especially one bothers me whole plant is yellowing is a 4 cane one. mystery plant., hope comes out of it fed it today, suppose to be hot tomorrow, will see what happens.
Karen B.

o
RE: How often do you use Super Thrive? tony

Hi Tony,
fantastic on Pacific Pearl..I only had the one and enjoyed. I don't know on the virus, hope in your case no, but sure are pretty!!!!.

I removed most of the cocoa hulls today from my garden...was hot! Flys went to the hulls in the wheel barrow, and garden! so tomorrow will turn the soil over and hope they will leave. Lot of my plants in the sun are yellowing especially one bothers me whole plant is yellowing is a 4 cane one. mystery plant., hope comes out of it fed it today, suppose to be hot tomorrow, will see what happens.
Karen B.

o

Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 13:48

Karen,
You may need more water to prevent the yellowing especially if you have sandy soil. My lower leaves will start to yellow if it is hot and they are too dry. Also, consider watering with 1 teaspoon epsom salt dissolved. That has helped me on occasion. Actually, I use it about once a week.

It does appear the culls were the problem. Hopefully those nasty flies will go away!

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here