Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dthrooop

Rooted...Well, Kind Of and Now What?

dthrooop
10 years ago

So, I have a rooted cutting. (Really, I know because I gently removed it from the mix to verify as I hadn't seen a lot of growth and the curiosity was getting to me!). I was very excited to see the roots but then looked a little closer and and saw a number of wrinkles toward the base of the cutting which led me to think it might be rotting. The area in question is not firm but is not mushy either. I'll try the pin prick tomorrow and see whether I get white (yeah) or brown (boo) sap but thought I would run it through the board for opinion.

For reference, the cutting is from Thailand and is not a named variety (at least to my knowledge). I started rooting about 4 months ago, calloused and with rooting hormone, and had it inside on a warm windowsill.

On a secondary noted, should I start to water the soil or let the roots develop more?

Pictures are below (I hope). Thanks for your assistance!

Cheers!
Dan

Comments (5)

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Dan,

If it was mine I would put it in a pot with cactus mix and 1/4 perlite and give it a good drink of water and put the pot somewhere that it gets lots of sun. But that is just me. Does not look like rot to me but it does look like it needs a good drink. I would just keep a eye on it and see what happens. Barb

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I think it is dehydrated also. Put it back in soil water once and leave it be until you have full sized leaves. sometimes you can mist the cutting and it will help keep it plump.

Mike

• dthrooop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Barb and Mike. I gave her a bath and a shower, put her back in her sunny place, and now will wait some more.

As always, the feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    Dan

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I agree with the others, put it back in the pot and secure it well so it does not move around. Preferably not by compacting the soil. Use some of that green plastic tape and clip the ends to the side of the pot so that it's secure or use a stake, but I personally think stakes are a pain and require constant baby sitting.

I would soak it in 1/4 tsp. per gallon of Superthrive over night or at least for a few hours or just water it with that, then leave it alone until you see leaves. I would also not put it in the full sun since it is dehydrated. Humid, warm and filtered sun, away from rain. I would or wrap it with some wet paper towels for a couple of hours each day to plump it up. Once it gets roots, it will plump up. The race begins.... will it root before it gets into trouble. I hope so! 4 months is a long time to root. It may be a very hard variety to root or maybe the conditions just weren't right. You have had it inside, in the air conditioning? If so, I would get it out of the A/C and outside where the rain can't get to it.

I had one similar to yours and did what yours is doing and now it's nice and plump and beginning to put out lots of leaves and roots. I had some cuttings in the hot garage in damp mulch, letting them callus. That one got buried and I didn't see it. When I found it, it was callused and root nubs were bulging but it was severely wrinkled and dehydrated. It's fine now.

Also Root Excelerator is pricey but a little goes a long way and lasts for 2-3 years. They say one year after it's opened but if you keep it in a cool place it lasts a lot longer and still works. It makes roots grow so fast you can almost see them grow. I use it on every rooted cutting that I receive and ones that I root as soon as they begin to show the root nubs.

http://www.house-garden.us/products/additives/roots-excelurator/

• dthrooop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, powderpuff. I had already repotted and watered this one, so I'll keep the Superthrive solution in mind for future reference, I'm sure I'll need it another time.

Yes, 4 months is a long time but it is coming to life and at least it has some initial roots, so I have faith she'll make it.

As for the location, it was in a 2nd floor stairway window receiving sun most of the day and not in direct contact with any AC air flow. I moved it outside when the weather warmed up. I did have it in partial afternoon sun, so I've moved it to an area with less direct sunlight. It has been a relatively cool summer here in southern California but those black pots can still heat up, so I'm hoping the results speed the process.

I know I'm doing some thinigs correctly as it did have some roots, so I'll look at refining the process to add a little moisture along the way to help keep it hydrated.

Cheers!
    Dan