Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mykel02_gw

Inflow turned into a branch

Mykel02
10 years ago

So I was at a friends house to help trim their plumeria and maybe gat a cutting or two, to my surprise I saw a branch growing out of an inflo... It's new to me cause I didn't even know that was possible...
Should I cut it and plant it separately or should I just let it stay on the cutting?

This post was edited by Mykel02 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 5:24

Comments (8)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Myke!!

I have the same this year on my Taj Mahal.. It is a strange thing when Mother Nature changes her mind!!!! ;-)

Some say to cut and not let the energy form the new branch...

Some say let it grow and then cut and root that part of the branch..

I personally think it will be a weak part of the tree as the trees grows.. So I might wait until I can get a decent cutting / cuttings on mine before I cut.

So, I am in the same boat as you..

I will be waiting for what the experts say!!! Mine looks really strong as does yours, but I can hear someone on my shoulder saying.. " cut"

I hope we can both get answers!!

Hope you don't mind me adding a pic.. I would love the feedback along side of our problem...

Thanks, Mike...

Lets hope we can see what to do!!

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

I recommend waiting until it has finished the season and gone dormant, then next March cut it and plant it. They rarely make decent branches unless they fatten up on the inflo stem. If the branch grows thicker than the inflo stem, I would cut next spring. Bill

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I wasn't the only one with the same problem hehe...

I might just cut it and graft it to another plumeria that I have... Maybe that way it will have a better chance of surviving cause the inflo part of the stem does seem weak to me...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Myke!!!

Usually we are not alone with our problems.. That is why it is good to always ask questions!! Glad we can figure out what to do...

Good luck with yours..

I am going to let mine fatten up since it has two stems forming from the false inflo. It will be nice to have two extra cuttings of Taj Mahal to root this spring..

Thank you BIll.. Great advise as usual.. I will let it grow and cut in the spring as if it is a new cutting.

Now.. I'll be watching to see how big those cuttings will be!! I guess I will cut about two Inches above the Y.. Seal it and then let it fall off naturally...

Thanks again...

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

I am one who thinks they are a waste of resources. My large Lei Rainbow is a repeat offender of this type of thing.

However, I would be interested to hear about the long term potential of anyone who cuts the "inflo" stem part off and rooted the actual branch looking part. My experience is it takes forever plus an extra week for the branch to get big enough to survive rooting.

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura
    Hope your Taj Mahal inflo stem grows big enough to get a cutting, been looking for a Taj Mahal cutting but canf seem to find an affordable one... any ideas where I could find one?

Bill
    Thanks for the advice... I'll cut it and graft it when it's big enough to get a decent cutting...

Kms2
    If you find it hard to root the cutting, have you considered grafting it? That's what i might do to it...

• Mykel02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Naturally when a plumeria produces an inflo, flowers are produced and branches form around it... But sometimes natures changes it's mind and makes the inflo into a branch...

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz