Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineria_gw

New to Plumerias

jardineria
10 years ago

I live in Corpus Christi and see all these beautiful plumerias all over town, is there some place here that has nice plants? I'd even try cuttings but my neighbor said no, so don't know where else to turn.

Comments (14)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Hello and welcome! You are a stones throw from some great growers and more important great people. The Plumeria society of America is in Houston.
    Some of our recommended online sellers are
    Florida colors
    Maui plumeria gardens
    Jungle jacks plumeria
    Brads buds and bloom
    Jim little plumeria
    Double peak plumeria
    Ummm.. I know there is more not enough coffee yet. I always forget the good eBay vendors. I Dont use eBay so I forget their name. becareful on eBay. especially the Thailand sellers. Most of their pictures are photos hoped. there is no blue or dark purple plumeria.

Some of the Texans will be along to help you out also.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 9:46

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I've had the best luck on eBay with "bloomingplumerias" in HI. Their plants are each photographed so you know exactly what you're getting and they are well packed. Usually are very fair priced.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Jardineria, try contacting the South Texas branch of the Plumeria Society:

http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/dbs/psst/

They're based in Corpus and I know the members sell some of their plants at a big sale once a year. It's the best way to get some very good plumerias, big sizes, too. If you join you can attend their meetings and learn how to grow them well in your specific area.

Let us know how you make out!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Plumeria Society of South Texas

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

One stop aloha on eBay is another... He has sales on Monday too!!! Starting at 8.99. ;-)

I trust him and Fuzzy. ( blooming plumeria) on eBay..

The list above from Mike, Jen and Disney are all solid and trust worthy...

Great info!

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

John Balcar is the president of the Corpus PSA, you can look up his phone number. John is also involved in the Corpus Christi Botanical Gardens, they will give you his phone number if you do not want to look it up. What are you looking for? Next year, we will be selling our new rooted plants at Rockport Market Days. These will be named rooted plants from San Antonio, Austin and surrounding area plumeria lovers. This is something we have never done before, selling named plumeria plants.
    Taken from cuttings from our own plants, so we can buy more plumeria, to support our addiction. Barbra.

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Or, you could try SeaSidePlumeria@cfl.rr.com located in Florida. Very few grafted plumeria.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

If your willing to pay postage, then I recommend Florida Colors, they charge you exact postage. I pay around $20 for 4 or 5 plants. I started collecting in 2010, and bought all my plants from them. Their prices are very reasonable. Barbra

• purdee54
    10 years ago

'Exotic Plumeria'( http://www.exoticplumeria.com/default.asp) located in Tampa, Florida is another great dealer. His prices are typically higher than most but he does have high quality plants and his website is very well done.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Barbra

Is that what you texans were up to at your get together? I like the idea.!

Ill be in the market for some next spring. will you guys ship across the river, LOL

mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Mike, that was one thing I was going to discuss at the meeting. It would be an outlet for us to get rid of our extra plants, taken from cuttings. I also wanted to show how easy and cheap it is to install drip irrigation. Between Jen, K, Joan, and everyone in our little group we have a diversified collection of plumeria to offer. It would be a dream come true for the folks in Rockport. You cannot buy a named plumeria from a nursery in Rockport or Corpus. Turners in Corpus sells blooming NOID in 5 gallon pots for $75. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Our business plan has been Leaked! Time to pull the trigger before anyone else can do it. :)

• jardineria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried one stop aloha and wow! His plants were beautiful. Still have no idea whatsoever how to get the ground ready to put them in, and I'm so frustrated. I don't even know what to feed them, and don't want to specially kill the 18 month old seedling that hasn't bloomed yet, that I picked up from Justine when i went to get my favorite potting soil at the only place South of San Antonio that carries it. Just wishing I had a gardening buddy, I'm working so blind here, although usually i can just pop a stick in dirt and it grows.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Don't stress over the soil or fertilizers. In the ground they're much more resilient than in pots, and a seedling is especially hard to kill. You don't have to worry about rot in the ground like those of us who grow primarily in pots have to do.

I like to use compost to amend the native soil, and sprinkle some slow-release balanced fertilizer over the top after planting my in-ground ones. Good luck!

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

Here is a cool article I came across that may help, though some of it applies to Australia, it does mention US sellers including on eBay....and I concur with much of his info.....in fact I was about to click on one of the eBay sellers' items currently listed in the not recommended list until I saw this==>

Here is a link that might be useful: sellers