Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jperilloux

Mardi Gras

John Perilloux
11 years ago

Mardi Gras is a plumeria variety developed in Texas. Are any of you Texans growing those, and do you have photos of the trees and flowers you can post?

Comments (19)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

not in Texas but I have one growing in California.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, tdogdad. That's a really nice one. I was asking about Texas because heat and humidity play such an important part in color intensity, and much of south Texas has high humidity and heat similar to what I have here. Yours seems to have developed all the colors nicely. Maybe Mardi Gras isn't affected as much by heat and humidity as some of the other varieties.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

mine isn't blooming but when I go to LaPorte next week I'll take pics of one up there that is.
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi jperilloux,

We have humidity and heat similar to TX. I have a couple of Mardi Gras plants that give off a wide range of colors depending on the temperature.

Here is one from spring when the temps are in the upper 60s to low 70s

Here is one that bloomed in the same temperature range but it was completely yellow (toward the bottom). I think the colors are more fickle in the mild weather.

This is what they look like in the summer around 80s-90s. I notice in this range they tend to bloom more true to theirs colors. Our humidity is about 50-60% early in the summer too so that definitely helped.

Here is one during intense heat, they look very vibrant in 90s-100s temps

I have 2 Mardi Gras plants that started blooming in late May. They've been blooming for over 2 months now. Today one is almost done blooming and the other still has a couple of buds left. I don't want them to stop blooming but looks like they will be done by the end of August.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow K2fl!

Too beautiful for words. I love all different looks of Mardi Gras! I will have to wait a few years to see mine bloom since it's only a baby plant now. What a beauty!

Thank you for posting that!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

WOW! That is such a stark difference K2fl. Now I totally understand why it is said that a seedling should go through 3 bloom cycles before its decided what the true form is...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

GORGEOUS!!

Sigh....

Bill.. Love the color of yours. Can you share the scent?

K2fl.. What a difference in coloration with the different temps. Oh MY!! I can't wait for mine to bloom. Probably in a few years..

I just love these trees!!

Thanks for all of the great pics..

Simply beautiful..

Laura

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great photos, tdogdad and K2fl. What a wide range of colors, K2fl. They look like different varieties during the different seasons, temps, humidities.
    Thanks for offering to photograph the one in LaPorte, beachplant. I'll be looking forward to that one.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

50-60% humidity! We dream of humidity that low. Every once in awhile we have low humidity and static electricity, we are all like little kids running around shocking each other. Maybe once every year or so.

I've heard of Spring, that's the week in February between the freezing and boiling seasons.

One big difference between here and OK is we have no cooling off at night, it was 94 this morning at 0530. So our plants really get the heat.

I am going to LaPorte to feed my addiction, headed to see Larry and the Emersons.
    Tally HO!

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Speaking of humidity, at 6:22 AM it is 78 degrees with 95% humidity here.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

jperiloux,

Ours is a bit on the light side. 77F with 45% humidity at 7:50AM

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

45% humidity? That is downright desert-like. At 9:35 AM here it is 85 degrees with 81% humidity.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi,
    the variations in color from place to place is amazing. Here is my Mardi Gras taken this year. It looks totally different. The flower fades some as it gets older.

Now, here are pictures taken last year. There is a lot more yellow in the pictures from last year.

tc,
    George

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Starting with tdogdad's photos and ending with yours, it looks like those are not the same cultivar. Great differences caused by heat, humidity, soil and amount of moisture in the soil I suppose. Well, they all look good, only some look better.

• dpolson37
    11 years ago

Here is my Mardi Gras that bloomed for the first time today. I'm betting Virginia weather is similar to LA weather in the summer anyway.
    Our conditions right now are 85 degrees with 60% humidity. No real fragrance noticed yet, but I'm hopeful.

Big Wave Dave

• John Perilloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice flower. 60% humidity? That's practically DRY. It's 83F here with 84% humidity.

• pcput
    11 years ago

WOW it's no wonder we can't ID a flower from the pics. These don't even look anywhere close to being the same. Thanks to all who took the time to educate us. Peg

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I took a picture of the grafted plant that I got from Florida Colors with my little camera, it looks exactly like citizens picture. The bans around each petal are almost raspberry in color, really pretty. I was suprised at the size of the bloom. It was its first time blooming and they were hugh. Not a big inflo like makaha Sunn, only about 8 blooms. Makaha Sunn had about 20 blooms for her first inflo. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I have one purchased from the Clear Lake PSA sale last year and it has not bloomed yet and Jandy gave me one of her MardiGras seedlings last year. Master of the obvious...it hasn't bloomed either.

Its a fast grower and puts out large leaves. I had to move it from full sun to afternoon shade a few weeks ago after leaves started to tan. I'm looking forward to its first blooms next year for sure.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County