Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Laura, check out my plumie protector

I just noticed this little guy this morning. He is so cool just sitting there sleeping. He is on my California sunset inflo.

He picked a good one! You can see him behind the flower

See ya

Mike

Comments (78)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Good eye, Peg. I didn't notice the two bugs till you pointed them out!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Simi, I don't think that's Celadine, but it's much prettier, IMO. Celadine doesn't have an orange eye or pink on the buds. Very attractive white! No wonder your friend wanted to pose there.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Not a Celadine! Oops, looks like that made him move back to a Jeannie M.!

{{gwi:54119}}

Actually, I am kind of bummed now. I have 3 of these I thought were Celadine. I had never really noticed the orange before, although when I look closely at a flower, it seems more of a shadow where less light hits the yellow as it goes down to the stem. Oh well, I love my plumies whatever they are!:)

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Okay, well if you need to get rid of one of them, let me know. ;)

The inflo stalks are also an uncharacteristic color for Celadine. But like I said, yours is much more attractive!

That last Jeannie picture rocks, btw. I can see why you wanted multiples of her.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Jandie, thanks for being the one to break the news to me, it's better to find out from our group than to find out on the street! It is really beautiful, what I'm now calling my Celadine-adjacent (that's what the people near Beverly Hills call living close to it, adapted to my near-Celadine). I have three - a 6', a 7' and a 9'. My only concern is the scent - I always hear how wonderful Celadine smells - I'll have to go smell a confirmed on and see if I'm missing anything! Thanks for the compliment on the flower and pics, if you ever want a cutting of it, let me know!

I know just where to find the mantises - two in different Jeannies, one in the Celadine-adjacent, and one in a California Sunset. They must think I'm paparazzi, the way I'm constantly taking pics (I have a ton at this point).

But in my final plumie protector pics, below is my biggest plumie protector - a diligent, secret-service style bodyguard to a possible Scott Pratt and a Mardi Gras in the back:

And here, making sure no one messes with his My Valentine. Even a mantis needs help every now and then!

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Cute doggie, I have never had a mantis on anything. I like all the pics of everything.

Mindy

• labland
    11 years ago

Awesome pix everyone! I too this year for the first time have noticed a lot of big Manti (plural?) in my plumies, and then a BUNCH of babies in my back yard on one group of plumies. But most of them rapidly disappearred, yet I did notice a baby the other day way in deep, probablyfor protection from birds.

The spiders? Funny, I saw one this week and took a bunch of pictures. He moved really fast. In fact, there had been a beautiful web, but he moved in and it disappeared. Do they eat other spider webs?

Also here is a picture of a I don't know what. I took a bunch of photos, trying to get a picture with his wings closed. But here you go! I had never seen one before.would love to know if anyone knows what it is?

Jennifer aka labland from Inland Valley

p.s. my labs are awesome, but protectors, not! Except my yellow Jake, who loves to chase (and catch) lizards! Too bad, I have plenty of ants etc. for them to eat if they could live that long! :-)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Great pics, Jennifer!

• DelWH
    11 years ago

The spider appears to be a Garden Spider. They can make huge orb webs. There was a web in the driveway awhile back that spanned maybe 8 feet. And, spiders do eat their webs when they get ragged, kind of like recycling. LOL

The other one appears to be some type of wasp. Kinda hard to tell from the angles of the photo. Nice coloring.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

It also kind of resembles a Boxelder Bug.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Oh No, my plumie protectors are stuck in the pool!

George

• Minderella
    11 years ago

That is darling, all those babies.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I love this topic. Thanks, Laura, and thanks Mike, for starting this thread.

The duck posting is hilarious.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Great thread! With as many plumeria as we all have...ahem and never really admit HOW many, we need plenty of these darlings protectors:)

Love all the photos!

Nicole

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I LOVE THIS THREAD TOO! ;-)

All of the pics are beautiful...

Love the dogs.. They are so dear.. Dogs are the best.. Cats are cute too!

Love the spiders.. yes, i like spiders too! ( I was a tomboy..) LOL...

Love the Mantis..

Love the Little ducklings.. so cute!!

Love the Mantis in the Jeannie Moragne.. it is so clear, it doesnt look real.. it is perfect . The clarity is just amazing.. Great pic George!!

Yes, i agree. This thread is the best.,

Thank you Mike for starting this one. My original post of my Plumeria Protector was my "Little Prince" He is still around and i cant tell you how much joy he brings me! ;-)

This thread just makes me smile and makes my day..

LOVE IT!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Laura

• elucas101
    11 years ago

We first noticed this guy jumping from behind a window trim onto the ponytail palm to lick the water droplets when I would water it! Since then I've noticed another lizard like this one and a baby lizard on my plumies and a brown lizard on my seedling table!

{{gwi:1192336}}

{{gwi:1192337}}

{{gwi:1192338}}

{{gwi:1192339}}

{{gwi:1192341}}

Sometimes I don't notice them until we're staring each other in the face!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I found the baby lizard on one of my seedlings today, he's so cute!
    {{gwi:1192342}}

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

You guys are lucky, all I get is a mantis or some icky spiders.

I love the little ducklings shot. It reminds me when I used to feed the ducks and geese on the river breed and ground up corn. I remember one time I was sitting on a log an one came up behind me and pecked me on the back -- it was wanting more food LOL.

That little lizard is so cute! I wish we had those little guys around here.

11 years ago

Hello everyone,

Emily... LOVE the cute little "protector' He just seems so content in the ponytail palm looking for some little morsels to gobble up!! " )

The little one in the Plumie is so cute! I had to look hard to see that one..you have a great eye to see that little guy!!!

I really love the last pic. What a cutie!!

Hi KIm!! I still have those DR pods that refuse to open.. I don't know if it is the cool nights, but i will send them when they open. Promise!! : )

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.. We all love to see the "protectors at their best"

I think i took another shot today.. I need to check the camera to see if it is worth posting..

I'll be back.. ;-)

Take care,

Laura

11 years ago

Here is another "protector" SHe watches me all day when im outside.. She loves to be with me and tending to my trees.. Just love those dogs... : )

Sanannah...

{{gwi:52924}}

{{gwi:1192344}}

Take care,

Laura

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had no idea this would take off so well. its pretty awesome to see all our "protectors"

Sadly for me I havent seen my protector since the day i took that photo. :(

Laura, Your pooch is so sweet. I love labs. We have had 2. At work my boss and secretary bring their 2. So at work there is always at least four running around.

My girl is great at keeping people out of the yard who shouldnt be there but all you need to do is give her a bone and you can come and go as you please, LOL

Lexi

here she is about 2006 with her sister Jasmine. Jazy passed away last year on October 14

mike

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Mike, Jasmine looks like she was such a wonderful dog.

We've got quite a diversity of plumie protectors! I have some new mantises that have moved in, one time two were sharing a branch. I'll have to post pics of this later!

• georgecc
    11 years ago

When plumie protecting gets too exhausting, and the plumie protector ducks are across the country, sometimes a young pup needs a break.

Besides, the prating mantises told him he could take "10".

In all fairness, I also have a pic of him standing guard in front of a California Sunset. Ill have to post that for balance!

• georgecc
    11 years ago

The baby lizard is awesome! Haven't seen the baby lizards here get on the plumeria yet. I'll keep my eyes open for that.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

There ain't no bugs on me!

{{gwi:1192349}}

Wait! Is that a bug?
    {{gwi:1192350}}

• georgecc
    11 years ago

That's great, Moonie, LOL! Beautiful dog, too.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

A variety of plumie protectors

The new mantis in town...

The rest...

{{gwi:54121}}

See the one staring from behind the leaf?

Two together! I thought one would eat the other, but as it turned out, the smaller one got demoted to a non-plumeria. Punishment enough!

Back from the break, pup returns to guard the California Sunset.

This mantis (there are at least a half dozen) enjoys the last few weeks with the Jeannie, as the season winds down.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Great orange Garden Spider. Love the new Mantis in camo. lol
    I think that they will eat another Mantis if given the chance. The camo one must have ran to live to fight another day.

11 years ago

Hi Everyone!!

Love all of the pics..

Thanks Mike.. Saavannah is a wonderful dog. SHe is just a joy to have around.

Im sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Jazy. She was and still is a beautiful partner. I also had a yellow lab and a black lab years ago.. I really thought of them seeing yours together.. sigh.

They bring so much comfort and when they decide its time to leave us.. it hurts..deeply. They are our children too!

Lets all give our dogs bones tomorrow!! LOL National Plumie Protector day!!! OK.. Treats for all animals!!!

Love the different Mantis.. especially the camo one. GO ARMY!!! LOL..

I actually laughed out loud Simi ( George) over the one looking from behind the tree. SO CUTE!! Love those "eyes"

OK.. what would you like to be called. Simi? George? I don't want to confuse anyone.. so please let me know.. I can do Simi... : )

Mona..cute dog!! He is beautiful!!

I also love the spiders too! Great color!!

Take care,

Love this thread!!

Laura

• georgecc
    11 years ago

My dog died last year, too, suddenly, so I have an idea of how much it hurts to lose one. He was my best friend, I'm writing a book about him. I've got two young dogs now, and I'll make sure to give them bones tomorrow. You never know how long you'll have them, but what they give you when they're here is so pure, so loving, and even so incredibly goofy. I think they laugh with us sometimes, we've evolved together for so long they sometimes know us better than we know ourselves. So here's to National Plumie Protector Day tomorrow!

Laura, "SimiDude" could be confusing, because there's an "SMDude", too. "George" - there seem to be many Georges on this board, too! Maybe just "Simi" is best!

I did gently move the orange spider today, to the much taller Lani's Beauty. His web was blocking my view of the Pop's Red*, and that's an amazing flower to block.. I think he'll like his new home and it should have even more bugs. I've seen the number of praying mantises grow and grow. We look at each other seven times a day, and happily co-exist.

We should publish a Plumie Protector book, this thread is getting big!

11 years ago

Simi,

You are so right about our lost loved ones.. so true, devoted and loving.. They never have a bad day.. they just want to please us..

Touching subject.. i still feel the pain. I love my dogs so much..

Here's to the Plumie Protoctors.. "Cheers"

Thanks Simi!!

Made my eyes cloud over.. LOL Im a softie.. But, it's ok.. it is for a good reason!! : ) Love my animals...

"My Little Prince too!" ;-)

Laura

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

SimiDude, the photos of the plumie protectors are great, but the photos of the plumies are even better. Such beautiful flowers, especially the Jeannie Moragne.

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Thanks, Laura

And thanks, JPerilloux, I'm with you on the Jeannies. I temporarily have a Jeannie I'm giving my Mother, and it came from a cooler climate and is more a lighter orange and salmon and you see the veins more - and it's near the ones that have been through the heat that have much deeper, more saturated colors. Yet no matter the temperature effect, and how different the cool and hot temperature Jeannies look from each other, they always look spectacular and have a great scent and huge size. I have so many pics of Jeannies I have to hold back. And 4 out of 5 mantises seem to prefer them, too.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Heh, heh. Good one on the mantises. I wasn't planning on getting any more plumies because I'm just too old to be moving them in and out of the house during winter, but after seeing that Jeannie I just may have to get ONE more.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

The Golden in the above pic is my 18 month old Maxwell, named for the Geico pig. We love those commercials! :)

Ok, I have show you all my Quincy that we lost 20 months ago if I can find the pic through tear-filled eyes. He had a seizure when he was about 8 months old. The vet put him on phenobarbital but he continued to have cluster seizures occasionally. The last few months of his life they became more and more frequent until the last month he was having 1 or 2 a week. Then he just could not be brought out of it. Needless to say, we had to have him put to sleep. Here's Quincy's baby pic.

This is Quincy's grave that my plumeria is sitting on.
    Quincy truly is a plumie protector.

And Maxwell also guards the grave.
    {{gwi:1192364}}

You'd think he would do the yardwork, too!

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Moonie, that's so moving, I got a tear now, too. What a heartbreak. What a beautiful pup.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Check this out, another little frog.Found him in the greenhouse this morning. It was 22 outside and a nice 60 inside. Only thing this is one is protecting my citrus while the plumeria are sleeping.

Pretty sure its not the same guy as before since my plants are now about 12 miles from my other place. Still pretty cool though.

mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Very cute! He's found a nice warm place to hang out in while the rest of us freeze! ;)

-Robert

11 years ago

Mona,

Im so sorry about your loss... it is a very painful time when we have to make that decision and or watch as these beloved companions have to be placed in a better place...

I feel for you as others here have shared..

The pic of Quincy is just beautiful..those eyes!!

You have a wonderful "plumie Protector.."

I hope you have a wonderful New Year!!!

Mike... LOVE the cute frog.. check out those awesome toes on that bad boy!!! True Tree frog there..

You know i love those frogs!!!

Thanks for posting and bringing this thread back to life.. we have so many beautiful pics of all of our beloved "protectors..."

It makes me smile to see all of the dogs, spiders, etc.

We need to keep adding to this thread and make all of the animals counted here.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

Thanks for the smiles....

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

I guess that my pics above of Quincy and Maxwell got lost from the post when I moved some pics? Later when I have more time I am going to try to post them back on here. I still miss Quincy so much. :(

If anyone has an easy fix it would be appreciated.

((Looking for posts of Laura repotting her ponytail palm and raising the caudex))

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Looks like you can't edit older posts.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

And then lookie here! :)

10 years ago

Love IT MONA!!!!

I get the same feeling of joy reading this thread over and over.
    The colors are stunning..

Thank you all for the lovely post. I never tire of looking at these pictures.. especially the dogs..

Night!!

Laura

10 years ago

This evening as I was tipping the pot of my '4222' after watering it which by the way is producing side branches and the graft is finally starting to fill in but anyway I noticed a most unusual plumie protector...a snake! It was freaky but I guess under the pots provides a moist cool spot for it to hang out. ;)

-Robert

10 years ago

OMG Robert!!!

I like many things and I can tolerate snakes, but not around the Plumies!!
    Did you jump? How many feet? I think everyone in the neighborhood would have heard me... ;-).

Thanks for the great pic.. What kind is it? Garden snake?

Hope you are well? I posted a pic of my Gardenias that I am rooting for you and Mike. You will love...

Take care,

Laura

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Looks to be a Garter Snake. Should keep the larger critters away anyway.

10 years ago

Ha! I was taken aback a bit. I was a little worried it might strike as I was holding my cell phone in one hand and tilting the pot in the other. Laugh.
    I just hope the dog leaves it alone. Maybe it will eat some of the mice that run around under the bird feeder! :)

Thank you so much for the gardenia cutting!

DelWH,

Thanks for the ID!

-Robert

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok. either Oklahoma has more tree frogs than i thought or I am the official tree frog whisperer. LOL

this little guy just walked up the back patio glass door looking for snacks.

If I die it was the tree frogs I guarantee it. hahaha.

mike

9 years ago

Mike!!

To funny, hopefully they won't take over.. They really are to cute!

I just love frogs... ;-)

Great thread.. I just love looking at the cute little guys !!!

ð¸. Keep a close eye out, mike!!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Lolol..Hello everyone!

What a fantastic thread Mike..Hello laura and others..

Beautiful dogs, protectors, and of course plants@! Looking at these is making me think twice..

Let me tell you this...I hatched over ten thousands Praymantis last year and never saw a one by summers end...lol
    So to see that many , plus frogs, me fave, you guys are sooooo lucky...I love these pics..

Mike..I am sorry about your dog last year..That is so sad..What a beautiful dog:-)

Mike

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH