Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They should have rotted

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 9:11

I had some plumie cuttings that had been in the greenhouse for a while on a high shelf so they were nice and warm and protected from moisture. Several hadn't begun to root after 2 months but were still firm. I was moving some plants around and had put the cuttings outside. I went on vacation and had completely forgotten that I'd moved them outside. They'd been outside for about a month when I remembered and had been rained on and watered often along with all my other plants. They were unrecognizable, full of foliage with nice root systems. Maybe the unusually high temps we've had this summer helped but most times my unrooted cuttings have rotted when they remained moist.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They should have rotted

Hi Karyn, I think there's no underestimating the power of HEAT to get plumies going! Glad you didn't lose them. Were they special named varieties? Many of my plants whose root systems rotted in the garage have re-rooted just above the rotted area and have filled the pots with roots again.

o

Karen,

Great news in the cuttings...sometimes it seems that the more we ignore some of the trees/cuttings they will naturally surprise us!!! I hope my cuttings (2) will root for me this season!!!

Take care and hopefully this Hurricane will not effect you up in MD...I'm really getting nervous with this one...

Laura in VB

o

Hi Karen,
Same thing happened to me with my pudica cutting, and an intense rainbow. I left them both out in the elements for the past month. Both have since rooted and my Intense Rainbow is going to bloom soon! This heat has been so wonderfull. My tropicals in general have done awesome this summer. Some of my tropical fruit trees have tripled in size since they went out side in April!
Andrew

o

The cuttings are named varieties but nothing exotic. Except for having to water constantly and the freaking stinkbugs my tropicals have done quite well this season. These upper 90's to triple digit temps make many of them happy. Unfortunately my cloud forest tropicals aren't faring as well. I have a small greenhouse that I cool during the summer for them but it's not staying very cool. I try to keep it below 75 but it's been closer to 85 the past couple months.

I'm not sure if Earl is going to cause problems inland or just along the coast? It's supposed to hit the Mid-Atlantic coast towards the end of the week. I hope it stays offshore. We've had enough freaky weather. A record snowfall, now record breaking heat, an earthquake followed by a tornado. Isn't that enough? Toto I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. lol

o

I'm not worried about Earl here (maybe I should be???).

What is it with the stinkbugs this year??

o

I don't have the stickbug problem...but I do have a terrible time with the darn crickets!!!!

We are very concerned with Earl....causing many ulcers!!

Dave, you could see heavy/strong winds up in your area...beware!!!

Laura in VB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here