Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcvernon

No blooms. Help!

tcvernon
11 years ago

I need help. I live in the Northeast US, but I have a beautiful 3 year old plumeria that I bought in Hawaii as a rooting stem (packaged). I am unable to post a photo, but suffice to say it appears as healthy as it could despite no blooms. I have done everything that has been suggested on the web including finally getting some 10-50-10 fertilizer on the web because of not having availability in this area. It has around 70-80 leaves with more developing, on three solid branches of a strong trunk. It stands over 4 feet tall and is over 5 feet in diameter. It is in a pot that is 21" in diameter (inside), and is in a mix of poting soil and sandy soil, and it has a base in the pot of stones of varying sizes no bigger than 2" that I gathered from my yard. I bring it in the house every fall before the weather gets cool, and when the leaves begin to fall off, I stop watering and put it in my cellar. I have had no problems bringing it back up from the cellar and getting it going again in the spring. I first bring it into the house and give it some water. I always let it dry out again before I water. When the temperature is proper, I move it outside in the full sun which it gets for at least 8 hours per day for the majority of the season. I also begin the fertilizer when I bring it outside including using some of the fertilizer in a spray bottle for foliar treatments. Ther has never been any sort of insect problems with this plant. HELP!

Comments (7)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hi there!

Where about in MA are you? I am a Bostonian myself even though I relocated to the West Coast I still bleed green (once a Celts' fan always a Celts' fan, sorry Lakers).

Anyway, from what you wrote I think you're doing everything right. I am fairly new at this so maybe the experts here can point out some areas that might help. But perhaps it will take another season before you see blooms?? Some plants just take a lot longer. The fact that you were able to this root cutting from the East Coast is a huge accomplishment in my book. Thus far I killed all 5 of my cuttings. The other 4 are not doing anything!! :(

Anyway, I just wanted to say hey! :)

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I can definitely sympathize, you could look back in the posts. I successfully rooted 3 cuttings 3yrs ago. I also overwinter. I bring them up early like Feb. put them in bay window on heat pads & wake them up early. So when the weather is warm, they are already ahead of the game. All the very lovely & knowledgeable people here say my plants look healthy. But I too have never had flowers. I really thought this was going to be my year. When I took them out of hibernation, I also re potted & saw beautiful healthy roots.
    I am practicing all the patience I can muster. Good luck to you.

Also Caution there are a bunch of enablers on this forum. They make you want to keep collecting. I have added 3 more to my collection since joining.
    Kathy

• AllanRandall
    11 years ago

I'm fairly new to growing them as well, so I can't give a definitive answer. However, my guess would be that it's more weather related. Are they getting enough warm sunny weather?

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

I'm sure others will chime in, but from what I understand, sometimes it just takes time. I've heard of people waiting 6 years to see blooms - these plants are just on their own schedule. Light and heat may be a factor, too, though.

Hats off to you for doing this in MA!! Holy cow.

NC - I also moved to So Cal from the Boston area (North Quincy, anyone??). I was getting a little tired of surfing in New Hampshire.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

LOL Daogirl... you're on a roll today. No wonder I get you... you came from my neck of the woods. LOL.

Actually I grew up in the Suburbs... near Wellesley. Loved the city and people but hated the weather. That's how I ended up here. :)

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I'm also in Ma. and found that if you give them lots of bottom heat by sitting them on a sunny patio or drive way they seem to be happier. My 3 year old noid had buds on it until the squirrels got into the pot, so now I have to wait until next year,but its not going to stop me from buying more come next spring
    Bear

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    11 years ago

Ditto the hot patio advice. Also helps to have them in a black pot to draw extra warmth. Mine didn't bloom until year 4. Be patient. The problem with our climate is the short growing season. I started overwintering mine in the house, watering once per month and found it woke up earlier in the Spring. But despite all efforts, sometimes I don't get inflows until October, just in time to bring back in house. Keep at it. It's worth it!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting