Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Gold Coast Peachy - broke down and ordered it

So I've been lusting after Gold Coast Peachy for months now after reading its scent description and compact growth habit. It seems most of the reviews I've read have been from Brad (who I ordered it from). Not that that's necessarily a bad thing I just wanted other people's opinions on its scent.

If mine ever blooms I'll report on it and let everyone know if I agree that it smells like a combination of jasmine, coconuts and hot cinnamon candies. :)

I probably should have taken No-Clue's advice and not ordered another plumie since I had to move the heavy pots from the protection of the arbor back out into the yard this morning (we had chances of rain and storms with high winds last night but of course we never got a drop).

-Robert

Comments (63)

• georgecc
    11 years ago

It was the looks. It was surrounded by fragrant plumerias - so I did't get to its scent until later. It's strikingly beautiful.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yep... she stopped me dead in my tracks too! Funny Marilynn was walking us around her garden talking and I looked to the right and saw My Valentine and started making a beeline for her. She followed me and said "That's my personally collection and not for sale". Hey she's a beauty! Glad to hear I'm not the only love struck one around here!

How big Simi and how much? And is she blooming?? Where the heck is this place again?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No-Clue, it's a little over 3 feet tall from the soil line by 3 feet wide, two branches, one inflo that's blooming like crazy. Wonderful scent. It was a little more expensive than the Penang Peach, it was $70, but there were several smaller ones for less. They're in Northridge, which is in the northern part of the San Fernando Valley. What part of OC are you in? Maybe the Sept Sale will have some, too.

I'm looking out the window at my My Valentine, it's between a Jeannie Moragne and a Wildfire. Beautiful trio. Now, if only there was a Gold Coast Peach on one side... oh-oh, there I go!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow that's a fantastic price for her!! Sigh... I want one! Are your Jennie and Wildfire blooming too? Sheesh was a fantastic trio! You might as well go get Gold Coast Peach! LOL

Will you be going to the sale?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

They're all blooming, so it's a nice site. Then there's a mystery J105-like red and a Katie Moragne and a Pops Red behind them, all blooming too. Then the California Sunset and the Cerise on the side have nice blooms, too (the CS Sunset blooms like crazy). (A Hilo Red and a Loretta aren't blooming yet). We've had high 90 - low 100 temps here, and it's done a little damage to the Wildfire blooms, but the weather will be a little cooler next week.

• labland
    11 years ago

Simi,

i figured you were ithe valley from your name! I am in Inland Valley. I have never been to Island Plumeria. Do they have another My Valentine? I am so tempted!

Jennifer aka labland

• georgecc
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I will probably be going to the sale, although I may bring a chaperone with a whip to keep me under control. If I go and you don't think they'll have MV at the show and you'd like me to pick one up for you, let me know. I pass by Northridge most days (although I may soon start taking an alternate route to avoid temptation!).

• georgecc
    11 years ago

labland, they had several, although I don't remember if the others were blooming or not and what sizes they had (my eyes were locked on the first one I saw). I'd call and ask Matthew. It's a beauty.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Thank you Simi! That is very kind of you. What a dream to be close enough to stop by everyday? Sheesh! You exercise great restraint my friend. I would buy them all if I was that close. Haha

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I really do (show great restraint)! Thank you for recognizing it, cause most people don't. It's hard to drive down the freeway knowing that if I just turn right and go 2 miles, I can buy another beautiful blooming plumeria. And yet I resist. Thank you, No-Clue!

• surfbreeze
    11 years ago

I have been considering this one for a while as well, since it is on the "top fragrance" lists that have been passed around the last couple of years and I got weak and ordered it last Sunday as well from Brian at Bud's. What a nice guy! I love fragrances and this should be a winner. Appears from the photo to be nicely coloured as well. He said they will be packing mine tomorrow and shipping it out Monday. Can't wait!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

surfbreeze,

I love Brad's plants! So far they are the largest and healthiest rooted cuttings I have received from any vendor.
    I too have been wanting Gold Coast Peachy thanks to that darn list. Laugh. I agree that the colors look awesome (which is secondary to my wants). Pink and orange look striking together!
    We can compare notes if/when ours bloom! :)
    Mine should be shipped out on Monday as well.
    Of course most of the leaves will be removed so I doubt ours will bloom this year but ya never know!

-Robert

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Robert - it's such a great feeling to get a new plant! I get goosebumps when I'm opening a package. LOL
    Love the description of the scent. There is another variety that is suppose to have a cinnamon scent but I can't remember which one it is.
    I know you will enjoy your GCP!

Lynn and SimiDude... you guys are killing me! Really, I need to move from this area. I NEED to be able to walk into a nursery and have my pick of so many wonderful cultivars. When I lived in Panama my interests lied in other things besides plants. The huge plumeria that grew outside my 2nd story bedroom window went basically unnoticed, other than when it was blooming very heavy. It was the iguanas, parrots and other wild life that had my attention.

• surfbreeze
    11 years ago

I will sure let you know if I get a bloom Robert. This is my first order from them, and I love they way they communicate.
    Figure there is a while longer before it turns cooler...so there is enough time for it to bloom, if it only will ;)

Original Author
    11 years ago

moonie,

Yes getting new plants is awesome! I love your goosebumps description. :)
    And Panama, wow! I could see being fascinated by all the animals and it's hard for me to envision looking out my bedroom window at a giant plumie! You're so lucky to have experienced all that.

surfbreeze,

I think you'll be quite pleased with your plumie from Brad's and I thought the same thing...I can take it in if it gets cold at night and keep trying to push its growth until winter shuts me down. Laugh.

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

SIGH.... From the East Coast..

You guys out West are killing us out here..

Mona.. I feel your pain!! LOL..

Robert, COngratulations!!

George... You have great restraint.. you are better than i ever could be.. I would be in BIG trouble ..

MY DH would probaably have a cow and then some.. LMAO!!!

Have fun you guys!!!

Laura (weeping in VA) : )

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ok I had a chance to sniff the Gold Coast Peach and she sure lives up to the hype! Beautiful fragrance! I passed on both blooming plants because they were very tall and lanky. I do not know if that's typical but I didn't particularly care for how those two looked.

So I will keep my eyes out for another plant... but definitely a must have just for the fragrance alone! Robert you will not be disappointed. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue,

Yay! You West Coast people are so lucky (as Laura pointed out)!
    Thanks for sniffing it and giving your thumbs up.
    Does the scent remind you of cinammon or something else? I suppose it doesn't matter since so many people agree that it has an awesome scent. Can't wait to baby my plant to get it to bloom soon!

-Robert

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ok let's put it this way... when you sniff it you can't stop smiling. I would say definitely cinnamon and coconut. A very heady sensation. It made my heart skipped a beat. But again fragrances tend to affect me more than looks. So I think you will be very pleased!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome! I'm glad it didn't give you a heart attack! ;)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I don't know if it's a blessing or curse that I have such a strong sense of smell. That is why I still love Rhonda the best! If you really like this plant you NEED to consider getting JJ's Rhonda! Hands down she has the BEST fragrance to me.

Original Author
    11 years ago

You are such the enabler!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

LOL... sorry Robert! :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, already...you've gotten my attention about Rhonda! Laugh.
    I wonder why it's so hard to find though if it's so awesome? I guess it's exclusive to JJ's since as far as I know that's the only source for it?
    Maybe Mike and I can get Southwood to order some for next year? This year's order had a ton of Angel's Touch but only a smattering of other varieties.
    I don't know if Southwood requests what JJ's sends or if they just get whatever JJ's selects?
    I suppose I could always order directly through JJ's.
    Probably a good thing that you can't order online from them!

Oh, got my GCP yesterday from Brad's. 16 inches tall, single tip and a great root system. Already potted it up in the gritty mix.

-Robert

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Robert,

Rhonda is a JJ's variety. John mass produced her so Lowe's or HD should carry Rhonda. In another word, she's not a Collector's variety, so should be easy to find. However, I think John is low in Rhonda this year... so if you want me to ask him regarding his supply I will be happy to.

{{gwi:1187639}}
    Rhonda in June... so cooler weather in the lows 70s.

{{gwi:1187638}}
    Same plant but see how different she looked?

{{gwi:1174562}}
    Rhonda in July when the weather was a little warmer (high 70s)... beautiful isn't she?

{{gwi:1192730}}
    Here she is in the low 80s.

{{gwi:1174561}}
    Changing to this in the low 90s. Interesting huh?

Now as for her fragrance and you know I'm all about scent. To date she's still holds the title of the BEST fragrance, bar none. She smells like sweetness and coconuty which I'm crazy about! I mean others like my JJ NOID, KW, CA Sunset, etc have similar scent but none as strong as Rhonda! When I catch her scent I feel like the grass is a little greener, the beer is a little colder, and the fish is a little bigger. Like the world is now a better place and I'm in love. :) I know that sounds crazy but I can't help it. Thanks God she has been blooming non stop for a few months. Next spring I'm definitely buying a few more. Oh and she's very compact... mine has 3 branches two are blooming and she's only around 2.5-3 feet tall from the ground up (not the soil line).

Anyway if you're into scent you have to get Rhonda, nuff said. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhonda is gorgeous! Maybe I'll put it on my list for next year's wants. ;)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Hey Robert. I have often thought to ask Southwood why they order the ones they do. Its quite possible they just put in and order for X amount of plants and John pics out a variety based on what he has.

cant wait to see your GCP.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

Since you're there twice a week lurking around the remaining plumies I nominate you to find out how they order so that we can put in requests for varieties we want for next year! Laugh.

Will post pics if/when my GCP blooms.
    I hope I don't have to wait 3 years.
    I noticed that one person remarked on Phet Pachara on Brad's site that theirs bloomed 2 months after receiving it!
    I know I'll probably not be that lucky but one can always wish! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Got an inflo on my Gold Coast Peach(y)!
    Woo hoo! :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh wow that's so awesome Robert! How tall is she now?

I will be watching for your scent report as soon as she blooms! :)

10 years ago

All right!! Awesome Robert.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lynn and Mike!

She's about 34 inches tall now.
    Looks like this might be an awesome year for flowers if those darn thrips don't get 'em first. Laugh.

-Robert

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Wow...that was fast. That's quite a growth spurt, in one year, isn't it? Or is that considered normal for a compact grower?
    Congratulations, hope to see pics of blooms in a few weeks...and then you can telll us if the fragrance is like it was described!

10 years ago

Way to go Robert!!!

I can't wait!!!!

You must be on cloud nine!!! ;-)

Let us know.. we will be watching!!

Congratulations!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost there!

-Robert

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

I can't wait for the scent report Robert! :)

10 years ago

Me either.....

;-)

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I should be sniffing this one tomorrow! :)

-Robert

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, look at that fat inflo! Yum!

Go on, Robert, get a bud stuck up your nose for us. ;)

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Anxiously awaiting the report. I lost mine this past winter :( and I wasn't sure if I wanted to replace it so waiting to see yours and get a sniff report. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been overcast the entire weekend but I will say this is a lovely bloom with a lovely scent.
    I haven't determined what I think it smells like but I know I like it! :)

-Robert

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Well, after many delays and promises the list is finally finished! I'm thinking that it is way too late but, I try. Some folks have specifically requested so forward on to those addresses. Many thanks for so much patience.

Beautiful photo of Gold Coast Peachy!!!

I have one rooted and available if anyone is interested.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Robert..I can't find where you ordered this Gold Peach..Can you please let me know?

Thanks so much:-)

MIke

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike!

I ordered it from Brad last August so it took less than a year to bloom. :)

You might try emailing/calling Brad's Buds and Blooms and see if they have any that might be ready soon or contact Plumygirl and see if the one she has rooted is still available.

Good luck! :)

-Robert

10 years ago

that is a great one Robert!

congrats!!

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

This is quickly becoming one of my favs (wait...didn't I say that about Bangkok Fire? Laugh).

Smells so good!
    You should come over and sniff for yourself. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

This time I'm not posting about Gold Coat Peach's scent (which is awesome).
    Nope.
    This time I'm posting about how impressed I am with the first inflo I've gotten from this plant.
    Most of my first inflos have been lackluster and don't produce many blooms or they fall off quickly or even worse I lose the whole inflo.
    Not so with Gold Coast Peach.
    This baby is pumping out mega blooms!
    Love it...hope I didn't just jinx it by posting this. ;)

-Robert

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

WOW! LOVE it!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Powder!

I love it.

-Robert

Original Author