Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Blooming Seedling question

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 10:00

I have a plumeria seedling which is about to bloom. Looks like it might be a white bloom -- nothing special.

I know before new cultivars can be registered, the plants must have gone through a number of bloom cycles, because it apparently takes several cycles before the plant 'settles in' on its 'true flower color'.

Shall I assume this one will stay white if its first bloom is white?... or could it possibly change with the next bloom cycle?

I have limited space and if it's gonna be just white, I'll probably throw it out. It's a tall plant with just one trunk. It's gonna take up a lot of space if I keep it.

Bill? Houston Pat? Anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Blooming Seedling question

from my experience, often a first bloom of white or pinkish white can become colored in future years. I think a first bloom of white is not uncommon and I recall one of the older books stating don't be fooled by that first white bloom. However, it is a bummer when the second season is no better than the first. Been there. Bill

o

If your thinking of "throwing it out" Please throw it my why. I would gladly send you some shipping money. I would love to have your rooted white bloomer 8)

o

Konatiki, it is huge and would probably cost $100 to ship (guessing)! I might be willing to give it to someone in the area -- Northern Virginia - if they could stop by. But I think I'll wait a bit until more blooms open up before I declare sentence on this plant!

o

From what I read in the Eddenbergers book, the colors aren't right for the few years. How old is your seedling? I'm just wondering because I've got one that I have many questions on, but I've not found the time to post yet.

o

Dave you can always shorten the limb by cutting it and re-root the top half. The bottom half will produce new growth at the leaf scar and you'll have a nice tree. You may have something that is really nice there...you never know.

Kasie

o

Thanks all. I was just wondering how much 'change' to expect with this plant, since it looks like a white. Heck, it may be a great white though. I'll give it a bit more time.

juicy: From what I can remember it's at least 4 years old. My wife bought me the seeds. Now when she complains about all my plumerias, I can say, 'Well, you bought THIS ONE for me!'

o
addendum

I meant to add that on several of my seedings, I got blind inflos (looked like an inflo was forming, but no buds). Then they branched. This seedling actually formed a true inflo before it branched.

o

I grow lots here you talk of blind inflo nubbing we call that false inflo you get the branching no flowers seedlings are known for this as far as your white seedlings if its white its going to stay that way theres no drastic change thats going to put color there what most do with those is cut them and graft a peice of another cutting on there use the roots. Give the pcs you cut to some one who likes white. I have lots of white I really like white so there will be takers I'm sure and happy to have it. I have some i am going to name too i think its a couple flowerings and you take pictures they can change some but not drastic. I hope this helps...Dana

o

Thanks Dana!

~dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here