Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

Should I cut off spent inflos

Minderella
11 years ago

I have 2 plants with spent inflos and I was wondering, am I suppose to cut them off at some point or just leave them on?

Mindy

Comments (18)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

They usually fall off by themselves or if they develop seed pods, stay on. Ocassionally they develop leaves and continue to grow.

I do not think you have to cut them off, unless you think they are unsightly.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Mindy,

I meant to follow up to your other post, but failed to. Your plants look great and I'm sure you'll have blooms next spring! All those leaves this year mean energy for blooms next year...that's just how you have to look at it :)

Anyway, Dave's right. The tree seems to know when to drop the inflo. I wouldn't snip it, because sometimes--especially if we have a mild, sunny winter here in Florida (fingers crossed that we do!)--inflos will stay on the tree through the winter and then start blooming in the springtime. My Teresa Wilder did just that this past season. So, I'd leave it on just in case!

Greg

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for the info and encouraging me on. I too hope to get blooms next year.

Mindy

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy,
    I have had an inflo on my 'Milan' turn into a new tip..it grew leaves, thickened up, and is now a new tip!

My 'Dwarf Singapore Pink' produced 4 inflos this year, with more on the way..now this plumeria being evergreen will continue to grow and bloom over the winter. I just need to keep it under my HPS light over the winter, and I should be rewarded with flowers over our long cold winter.

When it comes to inflos, I allow mother nature to work her magic. She decide's if the inflos should fall off or not. I will say though that if the plumeria in question is a newly rooted tree, I may go ahead and remove the inflo.

Right now my 'Apricot' from Fuzzy is still holding onto parts of the original inflo and yes, I do have a few buds that are maturing. This inflo was on the tree when I got it back in May/June of this year. The only issue that I see is that my 'Apricot' is not trying to grow new tips yet. Usually when the inflo is forming, the new tips are also growing. I have had this happen before but I am keeping my fingers crossed that this tree will havr time to grow new tips before it's time for the tree to go dormant.

I hope this info helps you!

Andrew

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I leave them alone.
    Tally HO!

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just wanted to update everyone on my spent inflos. I went out this morning to look at everything and guess what, I have tiny green buds on my tips of inflo, pencil tip size but will keep track of them. How long does it take to bloom? I know it is a long time but cant remember how long.

Mindy

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

As winter approaches, I wiggle the inflos. The ones that are ready will pop off. If one stays but turn dark or like BubbaTimmy begins to grow leaves I cut them off. Ones that rot can spread rot to the branch and leaf growers are never to become healthy limbs and are taking energy from the healthy branches. As long as a normal inflo is hard and healthy looking just keep wiggling or leave it be. Bill

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

My JJ's Divine that I bought at Lowes with a spent inflo a while ago has just bloomed. Several of the ones with spent inflo's have continued to bloom off and on. Nothing spectacular but hey, a flower is a flower. Clara

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Clara, my Devines are doing the same - I just leave them alone and they take care of themselves!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I also let them stay for a while.. I hope that i will see a seedpod forming. But like Bill mentions, if they turn a darker color and they look like they are on their last leg, i will pop them off or cut.

Two of my trees have seedpods.. My "imposter IR" that im calling a "hopeful VV" has a nice set. Leela has a seedpod froming as well. So if they look greem and healthy and still have some action as far as some little blooms, they stay.

I was surprised to see pods form.. They pop up on you so fast that you have to go and look back at them and say..."Is that what i think it is.." : )

Hope everyone is doing well.

Missed seeing you post Bill.. Hope all is well!

Take care,

Laura

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Divine bloomed the other day. Here is a pic, a few more will be coming in the coming weeks.

Mindy

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Lesson learned: Don't pull inflos off prematurely or you might miss some nice late season blooms!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hey I'm guilty of always pulling off spent flowers and inflos. But since moving to this tiny apt. I just don't have room to spread out my plants and as a result, I couldn't reach many of them.

Well when I checked today... I noticed my Elsie growing a new tip out of a almost done blooming inflo!!

{{gwi:1192797}}

I guess I'll just leave it alone and see what she will do. Also, Thumbalina was done blooming in July. I left the spent inflos alone and now they are all blooming again. So from now on I will just leave them alone until they fall off.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Mindy - your flower is such a cutie pie standing tall like that!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I give them a wiggle to loosen if they are finished. And remove if it starts leaves. I think it's a waste of resources too. Those converted branches don't have a big enough supply line in most instances to be productive IMO.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Kms2.... mine has 4 leaves and two are quite large. Are you saying I should pull that inflo off and get rid of that tip? Thanks!

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Mindy,

Congrats on your first bloom! Yay! I think it was Peg who said that if you thought you were hooked before, just wait--I second that. Get ready--it's a sickness LOL

Lynn, K gives really smart advice (by the way, K, loved your recent photos of the Punchbowl, the planes, and Divine) and also has been growing our beloved trees far longer than I. That said, my Veracruz Rose did the same thing as your Elsie, and because VCR is such a monster-sized tree, I think I'm gonna leave the inflo-branch be, because it's pretty darn big!: pro'ly only 25% smaller than the bona fide branches that resulted from the blooming point. I just want to experiment and see what happens.

K, I'll likely be confirming the soundness of your advice before long...but I'll report back.

Greg

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services