Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubbatimmy

BubbaTimmy
11 years ago

Howdy. Just found and joined the forum. I am pretty excited to find such a wealth of knowledge.

I am a member of the Plumeria Society of America and have been growing for about 10 years. I still have a lot to learn and it looks like this might be a good place to do so. I am in the Houston Area, and have the plumeria bug pretty bad. I have about 150-200.

My 1st question would be about container size. I normally start my seeds in about a 4" pot, then transfer to gallon when they are about 12" tall. I notice many people sticking with the gallon size for quite a long period of the plants growth. My opinion is to go to a 3 gallon or larger once the plant is about 2 feet tall. I believe I heard one person say that staying with a smaller pot will make the plant spend more energy growing branches and less time growing roots. What is your opinion on this?

Comments (15)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Healthy roots make a healthy plant! I'm with you on moving up to 3 gallon when plant is 2 feet tall. Then it eventually comes down to how large a container you want to deal with. Several people maintain plants in smaller containers (under 10 gallon), but root-prune periodically.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Welcome Bubba,

There are several of us Texans on the forum.
    I agree with the 3 gallon principal.
    The exception is rooting cuttings, I root everything is one gallons.
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Hi Bubba! Welcome to the worst forum for addicts on gardenweb, enablers abound here.
    I'm in Galveston.

The bigger the pot the better in my opinion. I avoid those black pots like the plague though, the plumeria waiting to be repotted are in black pots and they need water twice as much as the ones in ceramic or clay pots. I also start stuff in 1 gallon pots.

A LOT of people on this forum live in climates that are much cooler than ours and don't have as long of a growing season, so our plants have a tendency to outgrow pots much quicker. I am just rebuilding my collection, Ike was not kind to us.
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Hey, Bubba, I'm in Austin. I'd say at 150-200 (and that's saying something that you don't know for sure, lol) you're beyond newbie status!

I also pot up to around five- or seven-gallon sizes, and a few of my 4-5 foot trees are in ground for the season. I don't see any point in keeping them in pots under 3-gallon unless they're brand new cuttings.

Welcome aboard. We're all (plumeria) nuts.

Jen

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hi Bubba,
    welcome. I live in Sugar land. I am also a PSA memeber. I 'll see you at the meetings sometimes.

I agree with you on containers, especially in the Texas heat.
    tc,
    George

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I'm in San Antonio. I sequentially increase the size of the pot every year until it caps at 25 gallons which is my lifting limit. Some fast growing plants were there by year 4 or 5. Others its takes longer.

Its my opinion that the bigger the pot the better the root structure for established plants. I would rather have an established rooting structure over branches then prune as appropriate for shape. I have to agree that the 9-10 month southern growing season makes this possible.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Bubba!

Welcome to the wonderful world of getting more trees!! LOL

So, you have at least 100-150 trees and you are a "newbie" MMHMMMM... : ) I think you are past the newbie stage and have joined most of us as "Plumeria Horders" LOL..

Welcome to the Group!!!

I agree taht you all have a longer growing season in Texas, but some of us here in the Mid Atlantic region have a limited growing time. I like to keep small rooted cuttings in 1 gal then onto three gallon and try to keep the large trees in the 5 gallon size and will rootprune to keep them in check!!!

Growing here in Virginia isnt like growing in Texas, Florida or Californa so we do our best and learn as we go. We do have a lot of wonderful growere here in Va and im proud to call VA a growing area for Plumeria lovers!!

Welcome to the group!!!

Please post pics too! We love pics...

Take care,

Laura

• BubbaTimmy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and great replies. Sounds like I am on the right track.I have never taken my huge ones out and root pruned them. What I have done with those is to put them in the largest plastic tubs I could find. I have then cut a large piece out of the bottom. These are sitting on top of soil. When winter comes I move the pot and this breaks off the many roots that have gone from pot to soil.

And yes my family and friends have pointed out that i am a plumeria horder so I guess I will fit in well here :)

Laura here is a photo of some of my larger ones by the pool.

• nativec
    11 years ago

Welcome BubbaTimmy to the Plumeria Addicts Forum! There are a lot of wonderful people here. Glad you have joined :)

Prepare to expand your collection. There are many enablers here too...LOL

Take care!

Nicole

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Welcome!!

Happy to have you with us. Judging from your 150-200 plants you will fit right in with us. Love your plant by the pool! So beautiful.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

YUP!!! Looks very familiar!!! LOL LOVE IT!!!

Welcome Bubba...

Laura

Great pics too! : )

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

We don't hoarde...we conserve.

Usually the words bubba and Plumeria are not in the same sentence so I'm kinda feeling like we are making history here. Other words that I would not expect to be paired with Plumeria: carburator, artillery, and polar bear. Anyone ever said "those mischevious polar bears knocked over all my cuttings again"

Jokes aside. its hard to tell from the photo but it looks like those are some sort of a thicker plastic storage bin with rope handles. I have tried similar things with pots and found they fell apart. Once the bottom was removed the structure was too compromised to hold up after a year or two.

• BubbaTimmy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I love them by the pool. I have grown them leaning over for shade. The largest one overhangs the pool about 6'. Nice to get in the pool any hour of the day and hang out under my babies.

Yup you would think that Bubba would not go with plumeria, but this is Texas. I also go by Jeff in the real world.

On the blue bins they have lasted 2 years, but I don't expect many more. They are not UV stable but are in the shade. They were cheap until I could find something else.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

BT, I know the sun can destroy the plastic before any of this really matters but what if the bottom of those bins were cut like a 6 spoke wheel? Maybe that would help it last longer and still offer the same benefits.

I also wonder if using a soldering iron to melt the plastic instead of cutting would help. All just off the cuff thoughts of an idle mind.

• BubbaTimmy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kms good thoughts, i will find out in the fall how they have weathered the summer.