Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

a follow-up to Laura's "not-AG" post--how to handle?

sflgplume
11 years ago

Good morning, everyone:

Willl save my greetings etc. for when I post bloom pics later this morning. In this post I wanted to ask for guidance from all of you regarding the issue which Laura raised in her recent post regarding the plant that turned out not to be Aztec Gold.

Laura, you seem to have handled your situation with grace and good humor, kind soul that you are :-) I guess I'm more of a jerk LOL...because just this week I discovered that I too received the wrong cultivar in a purchase that I made from...well, a certain eBay vendor that holds a lot of status in our community...and I'm kinda irked over the situation.

Of course, we don't really know for sure that what we've received for our money is the cultivar we were promised until it actually blooms, an event that usually takes place several years after the purchase is made. In the meantime, it's assumed that the tree is what it's claimed to be, and the acceptance of the tree by us, the hobbyist, apparently extinguishes the future right to complain. Or so it appears...

So, last summer I purchased a Kauka Wilder from that vendor. With shipping, the rooted tree cost over $30, which, to me at least, is a lot of money. When that same tree pushed an inflo earlier this year, I was of course psyched and watched the developing inflo with excitement, glee, anticipation...you all know the feeling LOL...

So then the blooms open...and, it's immediately obvious that it ain't Kauka Wilder. (I'll save the upside of this story for my blooms post :-) )

Yes, the blooms of the not-KW are lovely...but I also purchased the same cultivar, from that same vendor, last year as well. So now I have two of the same tree on my tightly-packed terrace, and, I find myself not having gotten what I paid for.

I wrote that vendor a very respectful, polite eBay message, informing him of the situation, offering to email photos, assuring him that I had no complaints whatsoever with the other 20+ (!!!) plants that I had bought from him, that on the contrary I was tickled with them, as many had already bloomed beautifully. I asked him if there was something he might do for me to rectify the situation.

Five days later, he has not even written back. To me, this inaction, this failure to even acknowledge my communication, after I spent pro'ly upwards of $800 on his plants over the past 18 months, smacks of arrogance and plain ol' rudeness, and it just ticks me off.

There--I've vented. LOL When I saw Laura's good-humored post, I thought, maybe I'm just way too uptight. So I ask you guys, especially the vets who have bought many plants from numerous vendors over the years: do I have the right to be upset, or is it standard course of dealing in plumie trade that the risk is on the buyer? If so...doesn't seem right to me...but that's why I'm asking y'all. Any advice?

Thanks!

Greg

Comments (23)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Greg,

I'm sorry you didn't get what your ordered. I totally understand where you are coming from. I too didn't have great experiences with some of the very reputable sellers. At first I thought it was me (well it might still be me LOL). I just feel that if paid $65+ for a plant w/ inflo or $45+ for a ROOTED plant and I received plants w/ broken inflo, broken branch and rootballs... then I didn't get what I paid for. I would have bid accordingly for a broken branch, broken inflo, broken rootball plants, kwim?

Anyway, I posted my experience here and some people got upset with me for "bashing" such and such seller. Like you I spent a lot of money on those plants, but very few met my expectations so I will have to think twice about buying from them again. Anyway, I better not say more least I upset other folks.

You are entitled to your feelings... so don't feel bad if you're upset. But at the end of the day, there simply aren't that many sellers out there selling what we are looking for... so in a way they don't have to provide great service. I really think if there are more competition then service would be much better. But as is buy at your own risks.

Again this comes from someone who was not happy w/ her many purchases online... so do take it for what it's worth. :)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

I believe if someone pays for one thing and gets something else he has a right to be upset. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for posting the vendor's name if the vendor doesn't deliver as promised, and that includes communication after the purchase on an eBay auction and timeliness of the delivery.

• pcput
    11 years ago

Greg,I also had a situation come up with a well know and trusted ebay seller. I bought a "rooted" plant and I too with shipping spent $30 on it. Being relatively new to plumerias I too thought this was a lot of money. I received a plant with one - 1/4" white nub sticking out. I emailed the seller and explained my disappointment as this was not a rooted plant but a well callused cutting starting to root. They went on to explain how roots are lost in shipping( I told them I had look through the packing and there was no sign of roots lost). They also explained how in the washing process how roots are lost. They acted as if there was noting wrong with it and it would continue just fine and to water it as if it had roots and they didn't know what I expected them to do about it. Sounded like rot waiting to happen. I let them know that it is possible to kill by watering it if there was not enough roots(as if they didn't know that)and I would treat it as a cutting. I explained what I thought good customer service should be as I understood what can happen when shipping: if the roots washed off or discover it didn't have them, than contact the customer with
    1)an offer of another plant
    2)refund of their money
    3)or offer at a reduced price
    What they didn't seem to get was that I did not receive what I had paid for. Some one knew when getting it ready to ship that it did not have roots and it should have been addressed. I never asked them to do anything about it but told them what I thought should have happen. They did refund half the money I paid for the cutting, which I thought that was nice on their part. I think we should start a post on what problems we've had and how they were handled. I don't think we need to bash sellers as they all can have things happen beyond their control but they need to know how to handle these problems and keep customers. I know many monitor posts like this and may be it would help them to know what we would like/expect them to do about it. I'm sure they know what bad mouthing them on a form like this can do. I worked with a company doing customer service and the goal was to make the customer happy. It is easier and less costly to keep a customer than to get a new one. Most people will jump to bad mouth a company but almost never pass on a compliment for something good. I try to always to pass on thank yous for good service. I don't know what has happened to good old customer service as there doesn't seem to be any, any more. I think a company's polices when it comes to handling problems shows just what kind of company they are. I am always willing to stay a customer and give them my money when they have good customer service when problems come up.

I also had 2 DR shipped that came in terribly beat up. This ebayer sent me a double red plant for nothing even though the 2 plants have recovered and are doing fine. That was good customer service.

Sorry I've been venting and thanks Greg for starting all this. Hope you get somewhere with your seller. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that has happened to you. Personally I would also be upset, especially due to the way the seller seems to be handling the situation. I think the seller should first and foremost offer an apology, and then offer to make a concession of some sort to you. To be completely ignored, brushed off or receive a nasty toned email is unacceptable.

I'm not aware of any mistaken plants yet, but if I do discover one I will expect the seller to do something to make it right - especially after the money we spend on the plants, but also the care, worry and labor involved in raising a plant.

People aren't perfect but if I get an incorrect plant I would want the plant I ordered originally or my money back. I think that's the right thing for the seller to do.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Amen Peg!!

I actually felt very hurt when I received the replies regarding my issues. I actually bought 3 times from them and 4 out of my 6 plants had problems

Two came w/out the root ball (this happened twice) and one time a note was attached to say it fell off when he was pulling it out of the pot.

One came w/ broken inflo (this one I paid A LOT for!)

Another one came with a broken branch!

Now I understand sometimes things break in the mail, but w/out root balls?? Anyway, now I'm sticking to buying locally. So far so good! :)

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks NC, Emily, Peg, Jperilloux, for responding. I appreciate hearing what each of you had to say.

To be clear, I did not start this post to bash the seller--I don't enjoy being vindictive. In all honesty, though, when I informed the seller, it did not even occur to me that it was even possible that I would not receive a response. I mean, I bid on and won something, paid for that thing, and then received something else. Seems like a no-brainer. But anyway, after five days passed and it hit me that I likely was not going to receive any response, I began to wonder if my expectations were off-kilter. And, because all of you are my plumie family, I did what most of us probably do when we doubt our own inner sense of a situation: I asked my family if I was seeing it wrong.

I am gratified to hear that you all agree. I can't help but to read the seller's silence as saying one (or more) of the following:
    1) I'm a liar/cheater and am trying to get something for nothing
    2) It's completely impossible that we made a mistake
    3) We will not take you on your word
    4) We're too busy and important to respond to your allegation
    5) You just need to get over it--**** happens

I just can't take it any other way...and I'm relieved to hear you all confirm that my expectations are not unreasonable. What if this had been one of the $100 plants? Same outcome?

I won't get nasty about it--but I will swear off that seller forever and ever. I can live without those plants, for sure.

Thanks again, y'all.

G

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Greg,

Just read your post...

I was upset.. That is for sure I agree with you that you should receive what you pay for especially from a well respected vendor...

My problem started right from the get go. I tried to settle another problem with this "gallery" and i didnt get anywhere. i was promised replacements etc. Then the emails were not answered. I new that i was..well, ripped off. i had heard that thry were not doing well. HMm..

I thought for all of these years that i had an Aztec Gold. Thinking at least this beast grew and finally made it to where it would shine for me. When i saw the red inflos..i just knew that i wasnt going to see my Aztec Gold. I had heard of this seller and i had already written them off. I guess i try and keep it from getting to me because there are far more important things to worry about.

I learned that things happen and i agree with you that your seller who is still in business should make this right. That is good business. I here all of you and i know the seller you are talking about and im very surprised that you have not been satisfied. You have every right to be upset. We dont work hard to throw our money out the window... But, the way i see it.. I just chalked it up to learning a lesson. ( because my seller isnt in buiness anymore) But yours is.... so? i would try one more time..

I have had so many things happening in my life that having this Gold turn to Red is not worth getting upset about.

SOme of you all know the details of my year, and i will say that i dont let much get to me, i cant...

I am glad that you think i handled this with honor and grace, but i would really like to jump on the table and yell... : ) Not really.. but at least let everyone know of this seller. That is why i posted the label. : )

They are not in business anymore.. Wonder why?

Being in my business dealing with the public every day and having to be the sounding board to alot of unhappy people who can be real jerks has helped me to focus when to be upset. I let them go off on me and once they finish what they have to say.. i deal with them the best way i can.... the way i was trained and using my best judgement. When i do get angry.. They know it. It takes alot and they wont know what hit them when it happens...

SO, to answer your question.. i believe you have every right to have this righted.. ANy one in business knows that a haappy customer doenst tell a soul..well maybe one or two, but an unhappy customer will tell on the average ten people. It is always in the best interest to take care of the customer.. I guess that is the way i was raised and i think we deserve to be treated this way and with respect. Especially from a loyal customer such as you.

Please try again and let them know how you feel.

Im sorry this has happened. I waited three yearss for my AG.. : (

Laura

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

its obviously a mistake on the sellers part. he/she probably didnt make the mistake personally, probably one of his/her workers. but five business days is plenty of time to reply to a problem.

maybe you could send another email, incase he/she missed it, they probably get a ton of email daily. reiterate that you're a loyal customer and would like this issue resolved in a timely matter. otherwise, they will be losing a customer. if they reply and resolve the issue, then all is well, if not leave negative feedback, and don't buy from them again. not sure if ebay or paypal will reimburse your money for that purchase since its been so long. but on the bright side, as you've said, you did get a great looking variety.

"fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Houston I don't think you can leave a negative feedback after such a long period of time! :(

• qaguy
    11 years ago

Yep, we're well past negative feedback time. And I'm not
    sure ebay buyer protection helps you either. Have you
    checked with ebay about that?

I had some scraggly plants come through the mail too.
    Badly packed and dirt falling out of the pots and broken
    branches. I even sent them pictures of how bad they were.
    I was told 'well, you got your plants, didn't you?'. It
    was very polite, but basically a brush-off.

Let's face it. Every time you buy something on line, you're
    taking a chance. Especially something that's not manufactured. Like plants.

Don't think I'll be spending any more money online for
    plants myself. But if that's the only way to get
    something, I'll probably try again.

• sflgplume
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Indeed, too late for negative feedback Houston, I agree that I should give the seller the benefit of the doubt and write them one more time today (d*** 1000 character limit on eBay! Drives me nuts.) The problem with getting silence as a response is that you're forced then to make guesses as to the meaning of that silence.

At the end of the day, I TOTALLY agree with you, Laura: life is short, and this is not all that important. OTOH it is very hard not to be angry It's hard not to look at a situation and not to see an inflated ego who's blind to the fact that when I, for instance, post pics of my Hula Girl in bloom, it's free advertising for him...right, Laura? ;-) LOL!!! Seriously though, it is. So then to be dismissed (evidently) in this way...I'm speechless.

To me, it's not only bad business--it's bad ethics. It's about how our parents taught us to treat other people--it's the golden rule.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Greg, you're justified in your reaction. The least you should expect is a reply, but I have heard reputable sellers say that labeling mistakes are impossible using their "system". But I would send another message, give them one more chance to do something. It IS possible that they're trying to think what to do, or that your first message fell through the cracks.

For any plumeria sellers who may be reading this post:

If a customer contacts you, even years after the sale, to say that the plant they received from you turned out to be something other than what they ordered, apologize and ask the customer what they would like you to do about it.

That's all. We understand that customers can be difficult, but most of us are very reasonable and all we want is to be acknowledged in our disappointment. Sometimes we'll even let you off with a "I understand labeling mistakes can happen when all these sticks look the same." Sometimes all we want is a small discount on the original desired variety, promptly and gladly delivered.

If a seller prsents him/herself as a professional, that's the minimum a buyer would expect.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

You are totally right to be upset, and one of the major reasons I quit buying plants on-line.
    With so many plants you have to wait to see what you actually received. You may have to wait years for the plumeria to bloom, a season for a bulb to leaf out, ages for seeds then finally........not what I ordered.

Good luck and hope it all works out.
    Tally HO!

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Greg
    Ya know what, whoever the seller is should be ashamed! It is only common courtesy to at least email you back. I think thats BS. And I think we should have a section on here and we should call it buyer beware. If they did that to you, I am sure they have done it to others. It is to late for negative feedback, but with the feedback we could share here I think they would see a decline in anyone from this forum buying from them. I am sorry that happened to you and I feel like it is only right they should let you know one way or another if they are going to fix it or not. I also believe some of them lurk these forums. I know for a fact one seller ( not ebay ) does and he often comments when he sees something not right. I have never been treated like you have, but I have recieved less then I paid for. I dont have alot of choices when it comes to buying because I can not do that locally here. I am a midatlantic girl and we have nothing here. I feel your frustration and you have every right to feel that way!! Ok off my soapbox now.

Congrats on your bar exam I am keeping my fingers crossed for ya. But I have no doubt you did great!! And the iguanas lol good riddence!!!

Jackie

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Greg, the fact that you have done so much prior business with this seller is the part that bothers me.

To be sure, all customers are entitled to excellent service.... however an astute businessperson should realize the importance of taking excellent care of regular, repeat customers. You don't seat your customers with platinum status in the lavatory, at least if you know what is good for you.

Perhaps you will still hear something though, since it has only been 5 days. I know that 5 days sounds like a long time, but if the seller is a one man show and happens to be on vacation or something, well.... Perhaps after 7 days I would sent a, "dude, what gives" email.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I concur...you should have "frequent flyer" miles with him. Hard to not think of even a one man show not having a customer list or customer relationship manager considering the capabilities of todays software or web based tools.

I would send a follow up after 1 week without anything more than "I sent the below email and perhaps it was overlooked." Wait one more week and then that should be turning point where the chances are he will not be helping you.

11 years ago

Hey Greg,

You have all the support here, my friend!! : )

I just wish i could have had the same support when i was going through my problems with the "gallery" But, it's over now.

K and Brian have the right idea.. You need and deserve to be treated with respect. Even my "coach" class will never be seated in the lav..LOL ( good one B!)

I agree and said earlier that you should give them another chance.. i would also just mention that you have sent many other customers to them with pics and other means of sharing information. You were right about your pic of Hula Girl.. I was sent right into their arms to buy her after i saw how beautiful yours was.. Enabler!!

But, i will also be careful now that this has happened ...

Buyer beware..

Sellers beware too! : )

Please let us know if you have any response. I hope for the best and i would think that "he" would step up and make it right.

Take care,

Laura

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

I wish every seller eBay or website could read this whole posting.
    I plan in my future to sell plumeria and I'm reading and understanding what is being said here! Good Lessons, respect, ethics and care.
    Either your in it because you are passionate about what you do or it becomes "Old Hat"...."It's a Job" mentality.

If I grow a cutting and intend to sell it as a rooted cutting, it must spend more than 10 months in a pot and hopefully a year to establish good root growth.
    Sounds like they might be forcing them to root fast to sell?

Also it could be possible that a mix in cuttings before the sale was offered on eBay ( Still no excuse! )

Reputation and Customer Relations is so very important especially when it comes to selling something so unique as plumeria and tropical flowering plants!

As a Seller (of plumeria) you must remember:

#1 Your Plumeria are always remembered where they came from long after the purchase! *Especially if it came from Hawaii for Pete Sake!!!

#2 Build a reputation that increases sales to a level you can maintain. ( Ship exactly what you are selling )

#3 Take Pride build a relationship become a mentor of your passion. ( Look for ways to help your buyer become more knowledgeable about their purchase )

#4 Photograph current flowers from the plant the cutting came from ( I'm so appreciative seeing a photo of the cutting before it is shipped!!!)

#5 Respond to all calls / emails! ( Listen to your Customers )
    From everyone's responses to this post, it sounds like the seller has been at it for years and has lost some of their passion for what made them into who and what they are today.

Customers will always find a better place to shop!

Thank you all very much! I mean that!
    Stuart @ Tropic7Plumeria

• pcput
    11 years ago

Stuart, Can I have your catalog ? You at least "get it". You will do great with your way of thinking. Keep up the good work and I'll be proud to be one of your customers and sing your praises from the rooftops. Peg

11 years ago

I will second that Peg!!!

: )

Laura

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

My day job for the past 25+ years has been in the Shipping business in Aerospace Industry and for the US Government.
    I work with internal and external customers.
    Love my job, and my customers!
    Stu

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I second what Laura said... I wish I had a little support when I was having my issue 3x. I felt stupid and then guilty for voicing it here. Oh well... lesson learned... buy locally.

Now Stu if you start selling I will be first in line to buy. I know how much you care for your plants. Your passion in both Plumerias and photography is evident. Let us know when you're ready. :)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Get in line No clue I get the red ones first lol
    Stuart get busy you have customers waiting!! I would buy from you in a heartbeat. You understand because you grow these beautiful trees with love. Thats what makes it right! I think some of the others just consider it a business. Its a tree, they want it, I will ship it, end of story.
    I know you will do well, because your comming from where we are. That makes for a good learning experience.

Jackie

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor