Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Best way to label your Plumerias?

No-Clue
11 years ago

I was outside yesterday when I realized that as soon as my plumerias are done blooming I wouldn't know which is which! Especially when I move the around so much.

With that said, what method do you all use to label your beauties? Please do not tell me you recognize them by their foliage or what not. That would make me a very bad mother b/c I can't tell on some of mine!

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

for awhile I just wrote their name on the trunk with a sharpie. You can buy those aluminum tags that you imprint the name on it but I took an aluminum pop can and cut it into strips and did the same thing. I folded the stip back on itself so both sides would be silver and not look like a fishing lure. Just use a hole punch and a twist tie to attach it.

Mike

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I buy the white plant tags from lowes for $1-2 and write their names on it. I think it comes with 20 or so.

• pcput
    11 years ago

I use the aluminum tags but also put a Popsicle stick marked with a sharpie in the pot so it is easier to see. They don't last too long but can always make another one to replace it. My DH eats a lot of popsicles in the summer :) I have heard that you can cut tags out of those plastic blinds and mark them with a pencil. They say they hold up very well and you gets lots out of one blind. You can pick them up cheap at thrift stores/flea markets or free in the trash or where they cut them to order and they'll give you the scraps. Peg

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok great!! That gives me some good ideas to look into!

Anything that you stick onto the pots is not going to work b/c my little one likes to collect them and puts them back randomly. Her way of helping out. LOL

So I think my best bet is the Aluminum tags. I'm not handy Mike... probably cut off a finger or two trying it your way. LOL. I must find out where to buy some. :)

• pcput
    11 years ago

NC, try BBB or ebay. Both places have them and I'm sure there's others. Besides, getting them from BBB gives you another reason to buy a plant or two :) Peg

• plucrazy
    11 years ago

BB&B has a box of aluminum tags for plumerias, I just bought a box and they work fine. I knew I had to get them labeled while they were blooming cause they are all beginning to look the same. Big.. Clara

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

I use the aluminum tags - I got them from Amazon. The key is using a ballpoint pen or sharp pencil to write on them, so that you actually 'engrave' the name into the tag. If you do that, you don't have to worry about ink fading or washing off over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rapiclip Aluminum Plant Tags

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh you guys are awesome!!

Peg I'm moving this weekend so no Plumerias for me! At least not until after the move! :)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC
    I use the white plastic Plant tags from Lows and apply a clear PTouch lable to it and it lasts forever. I think my oldest tag I have is about 10yrs old and is still perfect. I attach the label with a click n lock plastic tie I get in the electrical section as its for electrical chords. Here is an old pic of a tag I made

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

James
    Thanks for the idea! I have a p touch now I can put it to good use

Jackie

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh another cool idea!! Thanks James!

• mobiousz
    11 years ago

I was thinking of using some aluminum tape for my next batch of labels. Its essentially the same as those aluminum tags, but more of a DIY solution.

VP

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Tape Labels

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Just FYI....
    When Ive received plumies with the Aluminum tags usually within a season or so they become illegible as the writing tends to get flattened out. I actually have 2 plumies that I bought that were labeled with aluminum tags and I can not make out what they are now.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

metal tags, only way to go, the sharpie fades, the blinds fall apart. Order them from Gemplers-I also order the plastic ones in bulk from them to label stuff for swaps and our community garden plant sale. Blinds will work for plants swaps/sales too but are kind of tacky.
    Tally HO!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gemplers

• jandey1
    11 years ago

I started out with the white labels until I discovered the jays or grackles were pulling them out of the pots (wtf?). They also try to remove the aluminum tags.

Now I also write directly on the trunks with a Sharpie, in a couple of different spots, preferably where the sun won't fade it. You can use a paint marker, which should fade much less than a Sharpie.

• MrFrangi
    11 years ago

I found these copper labels at the garden centre, use some heat to "age" them.
    NOTE: Not my picture.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have used the Plactic tags that you place in the pots like sticks.

Then i used the Metal tags that alot of you all have talked about. A good friend turned me on to these tags that i bought on ebay..

BUT.. I will say that the tags from James are very impressive. He has sent me some cuttings with these tags and i can read them so well. I have a hard time reading the metal tags and i was going to go and put the old sticks in the containers to read at a glance so that i didnt have to bend and crawl under the trees to read them . I even had my cheater glasses on!! : )

The white tags that James uses and the dark print works great. I wish i had the Ptouch labeler.. Where would one find this? Thanks Everyone!!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I write their names on the trunks, on the pots and also stick a tag in the soil if they didn't come with a pre-attached label.

Lynn, your cuttings are looking very good. Thanks! :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What? You are seeing actions already?? HOW in the world are you doing this??! That's it I'm sending all my future cuttings for you to root for me! I'm pathetic. Still 0 for 5. Boo!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I used the stake type tags and a grease pencil until we had toddlers when I found all of the tags collected and nicely positioned in the sandbox. Now I beleive the best approach is any method that affixes the tag to the plant.

To add to it I have started putting dates and information about the plant on the tag too. i.e. date rooted or bought, seller, etc.

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I use a white plastic hang tag on the plant and also stick one down in the pot with the date I planted them, so if the hang tag gets lost I'll still have one in the pot

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Lynn - LOL

No, I just meant that they remain in good shape, no softness, not wrinkliness. LOL

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I use the metal tags. 100 for $15, from BB&B.
    Lonnie

• BubbaTimmy
    11 years ago

I have been using the aluminum ones, but I am going to switch to the Ptouch. Great idea. I also put a code number of some type on each. I measure overall height, number of tips, bloom info one time a year, etc. Hope to learn something once I get info in a database.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County