Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jandey1

Color Me Happy!

jandey1
11 years ago

After waiting an entire "ohcomeonalready", Pu'u Kahea has finally opened up.

From this:

To this:

To this:

Agonizingly slowly, of course, to this:

And finally! this:

Small but beautifully colored, they opened quickly and reflexed within hours.

One of Lemon Drop's last flowers, this one was 3-1/2" and lasted days:

This mystery cutting did indeed "nub", the inflo never progressing to blooms, but it also started branching so at least it won't be a five-foot-tall stick:

Hope everyone out there is staying cool!

Comments (24)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow Jandey, Pu'u Kahea is stunning!! So worth the wait huh? I don't really have anything that color! Now do tell, how does she smell?

And I am still drooling over your E.T. Lemon Drop. I feel such a sense of peace when I look at her. What a beauty. Also on my wish list. All your plants look so healthy and happy, so you must also have the green thumb!

You have a beautiful collection. Thank you for sharing the photos. :)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW!!! Just beautiful, what pretty colors! They really do look so happy and healthy - the leaves on your E.T. are sooooo green!

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Yay Jen!!! Its beautiful. That e t lemondrop makes me drool too, how does she smell? You did a great job. The false inflo was weird, I never heard of it before you posted it. So you taught me something. But at least you will have 2 more chances for inflos next season :)

Jackie

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

I love the proper use of the "ohcomeonalready" and what a beauty! I enjoy the pics soooo much. Still waiting for some blooms of my own.
    Kathy

• cessna_175
    11 years ago

Jen, Very pretty. I am sure it was worth the wait now that it is over. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Nice Job Jen! Just cut the nub off. Its a waste of resources. I have one doing it right now and once it gets bigger...it will be referred to in the past tense.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

nice flowers Jen. I love my Puu Kahea but I wish it would flower more. Bill

• beachplant
    11 years ago

those are beautiful!

Tally HO!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Really lovely Jen! Congrats!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! she was worth the wait. I too Jen, love the "ohcomeonalready" unit of time. Peg

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Jen - those are beautiful flowers! How long was the ohcomeonalready period for Puu?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

OH JEN!!!

I know you are grinning from ear to ear!!!

So happy for you!!

She sure is a beauty..

Those pics are just beautiful!!

"wait and you will receive.."

It is your turn!!!

I am so happy for you!!!

Laura

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Jen, congrats! Your Puu Kahea is glorious! You go :)

Greg

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

My Pu'u has three inflos developing. Can't wait until they open. I've heard they're not fragrant at all. is that true?

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! Wish I could take credit for it, but Honeybunny and her lovely Gulf climate are responsible for this inflo.

Can't believe I forgot to comment on the fragrance! The scent is pleasant but very faint. It's been varying from perfumy to sweet citrusy but doesn't seem to vary in intensity throughout the day or when picked. Because the petals reflex so much the diameter is quite small, especially on such a young plant, but the blooms have a good texture and are holding their color and staying on the plant well considering we're in triple digits with no rain.

N-C, my pleasure to share! You might be disappointed by the fragrance but the wonderful contrasting colors are unique, and when I saw Bill's big tree I fell in love with the growth habit.

Jackie, Lemon Drop has a sharp citrus smell, maybe medium intensity. I'd heard of false inflos, but this was my first.

K, I nipped that nub off the other day. Looks like another couple of years before I see what that mystery flower is. Whatever it is, the plant is gorgeous and vigorous.

Mona, that inflo started probably in mid-June (Pu'u was a trade from Barbra), so the ohcomeonalready unit was about seven weeks.

Dave, can't wait to see your photos! Gonna be beautiful with the heat you've had lately.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, you got it to bloom, great job! When it gets more established the rim is almost a deep purple red, it is just beautiful. Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Barbra. All I did was keep it alive, lol!

Here it is opening up more buds:

A day later:

They all seemed to pop back at once:

There's definitely a faint scent, running the gamut from herbal to sweet. Colors can't be beat and the blooms last a very long time on the inflo and off, with thick petals and little fade. A very good variety overall.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, lovely blooms. I read that it is suppost to be fragrant, maybe it will get sweeter the older it gets. How is the Maudi Gras cutting doing?? Barbra

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbra, I'm thrilled to say that I see some roots in the bottle of Mardi Gras! Lots of very small open leaves, but definitely rooted now. Thank you! And the one I have for you is also showing some roots, so I'll grow it over the winter and put it in a nice big pot for you come spring.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Jen, plant it now don't wait any longer. Just put it in indirect light and it will thrive. I use Special "K" mix, that is what your plants were in from the trade. Its the bomb! Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Jen,

Beautiful!!!!

OMG... LOVE IT!!

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

that is a great inflo. The cutting I have from B. is freshly rooted from our meeting in March. I'll enjoy your photos for now and hope for next year. Now that the weekend is coming I can take a look at my patch and see what is going on with it. I expect to see a fair amount of leaf burn.

Also I have a few straggler cuttings at last check 2 weeks ago still were not visibly rooting. No big surprise... Hilo Beauty, Cindy Schmidt Orange, Mag Opus, and JL Black Ruby. Teresa Wilder and Dwarf white have roots but are still in plastic bottles. I moved all of them to the greenhouse to give some cover from direct sun but still on warm concrete. Psycho and some storm damaged branches are also there but haven't been rooting as long.

• jandey1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K, thanks. The full inflo definitely has a fragrance midday. Leaves just started scorching last week on anything getting midday sun.

I know you gotta be sweating that JL Black Ruby and Cindy rooting for you. My Psycho is leafing out but very shriveled with no visible roots yet. I spray and sometimes dribble my cuttings with rainwater.

I'm now at 4 rooted, 1 dead from sunburn, and 5 still just hanging out, about par for me. With the heat getting so bad now that may be as good as I can expect.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I had the 4 cuttings, that would not root, so I decided to put them into pots with soil, all they had were claws. I potted them up, and put them in dapple sun. I even include the two cuttings that I thought I lost Ruby Too, and Kimo. When I went back the following week, it was like a miracle. The plants were starting to put out leaves, and the Kimo, and Ruby Too that I thought were dead because the middles had shriveled up, were full and starting to put out leaves. Those cuttings, did not like something, I don't know if it was too much sun, the plastic bottle or the gritty mix. They are all growing great now, in 5 gallon pots. They did not have any rotting, but just would not put out roots. If you can just try this on one of your hard to root cuttings, I think you will be suprised at the results. Barbra