Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Seedlings Branching

elucas101
11 years ago

I thought I would share some pictures of just a few of my seedlings that are branching. I have approximately 40 seedlings and I would say about half of them are doing this, some heavier than others. Some not at all. Jandey suggested it could be from thrips, which is very possible, I don't know!

Moragne #93. I believe this one has 2 branches aside from main trunk.

{{gwi:1193203}}

All the others are Siam Ruby, Thai Mango Blush, Penang Peach and Intense Rainbow.

This one has 3 branches.

{{gwi:1193204}}

This one has 2.

{{gwi:1193205}}

This one has 3 or 4.

{{gwi:1193206}}

This one has FIVE branches! I think this one is a Siam Ruby.

{{gwi:1193207}}

Close up of the 5 branches.

{{gwi:1193208}}

Comments (14)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Looking good!

Tally HO!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

wow thats pretty cool. My seedlings are only a few months old and about 3-4 inches tall. 1 of them has started 2 branches on it.

Mike

• nativec
    11 years ago

Emily

Your babies look great!!! How wonderful that they are branching so well. You clearly are making them very happy! I smell blooms in the future :)

Take care!

Nicole

• ivysmom
    11 years ago

How long did it take to go from seeds to these? They look very happy and healthy!!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

oh yea, those look great. grats

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Emily,

Those are the healthiest seedlings that i have seen!

You sure are growing them Big down there!! : )

Great job!!!

Laura

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the nice comments everyone!!! You are very kind. I was just quickly grabbing a few to take pics of - in a group photo you can't really see the details like the branches very well, but I figured much more than this might bore you all to tears! LOL!

These seedlings were started in the month of April, some at the beginning around the 2nd and some on the 25th. For those of you with seedlings get those pots ready, you'll need them! jandey graciously gifted me tons of pots - TWICE - and I STILL needed more! Luckily I scored big time - there's a nursery here in town that just has a huge bin and you can drop yours off to recycle them or take what you need for free - I got a bunch of great ones! Many nurseries sell them really cheap too.

I started my seedlings in the sun pretty early on and give them ProTekt and FP like the big girls :)

Thanks again you guys!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Wow thats a ton of growth since April. Mine germinated first of june and are only about 4-5 inches tall. You must have super water down there. i have a source for pots also. right now I have about 30 5 gallon, 50 1 gallon and 5 or 6 20 or 30 gallon. Getting ready for who knows what I guess, LOL.

mike

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Emily
    You did a great job! They look great. Mine are growing like weeds but younger then yours. Keep those Siam rubys growing, I may want a cutting someday :) My Siam seeds never germinated :(

Jackie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wow, you weren't kidding about the branching on your seedlings, Emily! That must be some magic water you're giving them.

With so many different varieties doing it, you have to wonder if it is some nutrient or insect that's inducing the branching.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Those are the cutest things I've ever seen!

Can early branching cause any harm?

Some of them are showing a lot of red. Is it the variety that influences the coloring?

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Emily, they are huge! They no longer really look like seedlings at all, you have trees over there!
    I see your DR seedlings hanging out in the window, so cute!

Time for you to bottle and sell your water to the rest of us.

Well Done, Emily. I am shocked how big they are, amazing. What did you plant them in? Cactus mix/perlite?

Wendy

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Emily,
    Was wondering if branching is a good thing or not.? Got some unknown seeds from Hawaii and just planted them.dont know what to expect .Is it better to put in little styrofoam boats or soils. ? did a little of both.
    Sharon

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike - "getting ready for who knows what..." is right - you will need those pots! LOL! You won't think they're growing much for a while but then all the sudden they're tipping over or roots are poking out of the bottom!!

Thanks Jackie! If you guys are patient enough, cuttings will be available to you all in, say, what 10 years or so? LOL! I'm hoping to get at least one worth keeping (like jandey's Blaze and a few others I've seen on here!)when they eventually bloom. I have plenty of seeds that never did anything, don't give up, sometimes the seeds are just no good.

Jen, I suspect your original guess may not be far off - I think it's probably the thrips causing the crazy branching but I don't know for sure. I don't know if it's just the way the plant would do it but the branches are lower down, I wonder if they've lessened as I began a spraying regiment or the plant just has no more branching ability right now? Some of my DR seedlings even have some extra leafy-branchy looking things and some of pretty much each plumie variety I'm growing is branching. I do give them a LOT of sun and have from very early on and they also get fertilized with the other plants as well but I don't know that would cause this!

Thanks Mona! I don't know for sure of any ill effects of the branching, these are the first batch of seedlings I germinated. All the varieties I'm growing are a multi-color or red variety, so although it's no guarantee I definitely like to see the more red colors showing up in the branches and leaves. I think it's just a crap shoot what you'll get, but I like to think it ups my odds LOL!

Wendy thanks so much! There are becoming little tiny trees now, it's so weird! Didn't you have some that were branching too? I just mix perlite in with MG potting soil - I'm so lazy I don't even measure or anything like that, I just eyeball it. I think the ProTekt really helps (thank you for that tip!) and they seem to love the Foliage Pro too! My Dr seedlings are grwoing like crazy too - I made the mistake of trying to count them, got to 59 and then realized I was off by 15 or 20 (as in, more)- I'm not re-counting, I don't want to know! I'll be happy to send you some Texas water and some free thrips as a freebie! LOL!

Sharon, how exciting! I hope they sprout well for you! I think some boats and some soils is perfect - there are a few different ways to go about germinating, just see which one works better for you. Be sure and update us on your progress!!!

Thanks again to everyone for the nice words and sharing my excitement!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner