Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Had a surprise when she opened.. I dont think it is an Aztec Gold

Good Morning to you all..

Here is the surprise..

I bought this tree from Plumeria Gallery several years ago. Well.. she finally pushed an inflo and when i saw the color.. Im thinking it was mislabeled..LOL

What do you think?

ANy guesses?

I love the color, but i dont think it is an Aztec Gold!!! : )

{{gwi:1193308}}

Jen and i also wonder about this one.. It is labeled Intense Rainbow.

What do you all think?

I picked this cutting up at a sale in CA. It was labeled IR.

I love the color, but now imm wondering..? HMMmm?

Thanks for any info!!!

Laura

Comments (22)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow Laura both are gorgeous!! What a surprise... not what you were expecting but so gorgeous anyway. Again your plants are just soo healthy!! :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Nope neither was labeled correctly. But they're nice! Are they fragrant?

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Laura,

Welcome to my world! My Mardi Gras turned out to be Lani. Of the 5 plumeria I bought from an enthusiast in Anaheim, the Maui Beauty is ???, the Jeannie Moragne - I think you're right on this one, and John Tarvin agrees - appears to be a J105. The Cerise, Bridal White and Sundance haven't opened (the Sundance should this week) but given the track record, they could be anything. I'm prepared for surprises (and may be even more surprised if they turn out to be what they're labeled!)

What's so amazing is that what they often end up being is so beautiful, you can only be so upset you got the wrong thing.

And your two mistaken identity ones are beautiful.

If you find out what your second one is, I want to get one!

George

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Well if all the mix up and all this gorgeous then I don't mind a few myself! My NOID from JJ turned out to be a beauty too. So it's all good! At least I bought it not knowing.

Can't wait to see what your others will look like when they bloom George. Be sure to share with us!

• labland
    11 years ago

I too had the same problem. last year when we were all at the Flower Show, I bought what was supposed to be Daisy Wilcox, and ended up a yellow. I don't think it is Celadine, it has a floral scent, not lemon. It also has a very faint pink line on the back, the stops halfway up the petal My intense Rainbow I bought at the same time has not yet bloomed, so I will have to wait until hopefully next year to see whether I too have a different color.

Any ideas what this might be? From the description I am wondering if it is Cyndi Morange?

Laura,

How are things going with you. I apparently lost your email address. Email me at my new address landolabs@gmail.com.

Jennifer

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Jennifer,
    Your Yellow looks like Common Yellow aka Hawaiian Graveyard Yellow. If it were Celedine the petals would curve more and the leaves would have a double vein running on the outter edge.

Laura
    What does the Pink one you got from Marlene aka Plumeria Gallery smell like?? How large is the flower? Based on the fact that the blooms are newly opened its hard to tell visually as it looks sold dark pink. Marlene aka Plumeria Gallery allegedly had financial issues and was forced to close, unfortunately early on before she closed many people received incorrect items that took forever to receive or nothing at all and basically lost their money.
    I am attaching a link to google where the first listing for Plumeria Gallery on Daves GWD you can read peoples reviews of Plumeria Gallery. Most of the reviews from December 2008 on were negative. If you want a Aztec Gold let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria Gallery Review

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi NC,

Thanks you for the nice comments!! All of your trees look healthy and happy too! I hope you are still enjoying all of your blooms. Did you received your Metallica ?

I do like the look of these Noids.. But it would be nice to know what kind they were. The first one kind of looks like a Miami Rose.. Dave, what do you think? I cant smell a strong fragranc from the Aztec imposter..LOL!! But the second Noid does have a sweet fragrance ..reminds me of a Celadine actually.. I wonder what this one is too?

Hi Simi (George).. Glad you are in the same boat. I guess im just so sure they are labeled correctly.. I know most of my other trees are, but this one from PGallery is way off.. I did order Miami Rose back then, It died right after i received it. I contacted them and then no reply.. Im not sure they are still in business... HMM?

Glad you had a nice visit with John.. What did you think of his Palms? I was stunned.. I love them too! I left you some pics of my J-105 pics from last year on my AUgust pic thread. The colors are more intense last year...

Glad you found the ID on that one.. it really looked like a J..

Please post pics of the others that you have.

Once this second one gets ready for trimming, you can have a cutting!! I just hope one of the Experts will have a look and see if they can ID this one.

Hi Jen.. LOL.. i guess we all had some surprises from the show.. but,, i wouldnt trade that time with all of you for anything!!! I think about our breakfast often and i really enjoyed meeting you and the others.. Good people! Great times...

I hope you can ID yours too! Maybe we should start new thread snd call it "please ID this one.." : )

Thank you for the new email address. I have been working and i will send you one soon. ALl is well here.. K is going to have her little on on the 6th of Sept. Due to what she went thru last year, they will sch a date for a C.. I will be there since her hubby is still in Aftg. : (

I will fill you in more.. Im very happy for her, but nervous too!

Take care and thank you for your new address.

How are you and your labs doing? I might have the opp to do some training with service animals. My airline supports this and actually wants people to invest time to take them around the planes and travel with them.. I may think about doing this in the future. Seems so fullfilling to do this for the men and women who need service animals..

Take care..

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi James,

Thank you so much!
    I will post another pic tomorrow when it opens more and hopefully the rain will clear up!!

This one doesn't have a strong fragrance at all..it is very faint, but maybe it is because of the heavy rain we have had. I will check again tomorrow. Same with the measurement tof the blooms.

Thank you for the offer on Aztec Gold.. I really thought i had a huge tree , lol... I do have a small Aztec Gold that i was going to give away, but now i will hold on to it since my large tree is something else.

I will check the reviews on Plumeria Gallery. Last year someone posted about them and asked what we thought. I did say that i had issues with them and i wouldnt buy from them again. She promised me replacments and then i never heard from her again. I emailed her severl times, but then i decided i wouldn't bother. I knew what was happening. The writing was on the wall. She had my money. I felt so bad and taken. Oh well.. at least i have a new beauty!!

Thanks for posting here., I think i sent you an email too. Must have received this after you posted.. I didnt see you post unitl i refreshed my page..

As always, Thank you!! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me!!

Cheers to YOU!!

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

James... it is 1:00 in the am here and i just went outside because i couldnt stand not knowing.. I took a bloom from the Noid (Aztec imposter..) and a bloom from the Miami Rose.. They look exactly the same. They even have the same light fragrance.

The bloom on the right is the Miami Rose..

The flower size is 2 1/2 inches wide..

{{gwi:1193312}}

Could it be the same? I am thinking so!!!

So now onto the next bloom...

What do you think of this one? The blooms are about 3 inches across and has a nice fragrance like a Celadine. Truly is a beauty..

Thought you would be amazed at how it looked just like Miami Rose.. That was easy... Ideas?

Thanks,

Laura

• pcput
    11 years ago

Looks like mystery solved on that one Laura. Good thing you had a MR to compare. Peg

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Laura,
    Yup Looks like Miami Rose especially at 2 1/2". The scent will confirm should smell like Suntan oil, kind of coconut oil like.

As for your other bloom Ive seen something like it but cant be 100 percent sure.

Ill do some research and see if I can ID it for you

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Laura, congratulations on getting another Miami Rose! I've attached pics of my J105. I loved your new pics of yours in your August post. The weather here has been in the 90-100s and all my plants that I bought in cooler areas are really deep and super saturated here. I haven't learned how to post multiple pics in one posting, so sorry these are separated.

By the way, I gave John your good wishes, and he offered good wishes and thanks back. His yard is amazing. I'll post pics soon in a posting about my Sunday with John and Bud (yes I met the Guillot man and the story will follow).

J105:

• georgecc
    11 years ago

J105 from a slightly different angle:

• georgecc
    11 years ago

J105 tree

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Note on the last photo - the flower in the lower part of the pic is a Katie Moragne, and the big inflo in the back right is this amazing Pop's Red that stops me in my tracks every time I see it. The J105 is in the center, and the red on the right is just the top of a patio umbrella (but I may dump it to put another plumeria there).

And here's a quick pic, Laura, of John and his palms. For the group - imagine all those palms surrounded by plumerias. I'm going off now to learn how to import multiple pics in one posting

• georgecc
    11 years ago

I'm finally getting my Wildfire on Friday! And to make sure it's really a Wildfire, I made sure it's blooming and asked for close up pics of the front and back of the flowers. This is an expensive little plumeria, I want to make sure it doesn't open up and turn out to be another Celadine! (Although it it opened up and turned out to be a Jeannie Moragne, I would have come full circle!)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Laura its a beauty. My first thought was Miami rose.

Mike

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow Laura, great job in IDing your mystery!! To me they are identical. If you were closer I would totally trade you my Aztec Gold for your second Miami Rose! LOL...

SemiDude,

You J105 is GORGEOUS!! Mine doesn't not turn that deep. Amazing! Congrats on your Wildfire!!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Laura, that definitely looks like Miami Rose. The second one rings a bell but it doesn't look like either Nebel's/Lei or Intense Rainbow--wrong color pattern and petal shape. Still a beautiful flower, though!

George, I'm sure that that isn't a J105. J105 always has white on the petals, plus a very large bronze/gold center with pink or red only on the edges. I don't believe it can ever get entirely red or pink like yours. And the shape is different. Link below to a good representative pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: J105

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Well I was going to say my J105 never turned that intense. But then we don't get very hot weather that often. So here is a picture of my J105.

Not even close to how Laura's looks. Hers is much much more beautiful!

{{gwi:795662}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

NC...

Beauty it is in the eye of the beholder.. I think your bloom is simply gorgeous!!! : )

George. John looks so small compared to his palms!! Can you believe he started them from seeds? He is a wonderful man.. Bud too!

Glad you had a great time!!

Your pics are beautiful.. did u figure out how to post multiple pics? I will email you if you want me to help?

Let me know...

Take care,

Laura

• georgecc
    11 years ago

Laura, if you have any tips on posting multiple graphics in one posting, I'd love to hear them. Thank you very much for your help.
    George