Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Hello Everyone!!

This is a cutting that is rooting for me and is sending out an inflo... The flower is just so beautiful that I had to share it with you all.

The colors are simple amazing and the fragrance is very rich with the scent of honeysuckle and or floral... It's hard for me to describe, but it is very fragrant to me.

Thank you to the person that gifted me this beauty and its friend who is in the process of blooming as well. The other is called Theodora Crimson. When it blooms, I will send a picture. Both are just beautiful. These names are not registered, just named by the person that found these beauties...

Thank you again!!!

Just stunning to me!!!

Have a great holiday weekend!!!

Laura

Comments (60)

• Kenny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

An orange flower with great fragrance? That's a winner!!

Kenny

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Very lovely!!!

Mark

• texasplum
    10 years ago

What an amazing color!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Dave, in my experience the bud starts out deep pure orange, and it opens that way before turning into a pure medium orange. Only when the flowers fade do they turn yellow. I've seen it in warmer and cooler parts of Southern CA, and it''s very orange and has been a big bloomer. I haven't seen it near the beach, though, so I'd be interested to see what happens there. It's been quite hot the last few days, and there's now some pink in the orange. The flowers draw attention and are quite stunning to stare at. Laura's photo is beautiful and is very true in color.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mindy!!!

Hi Kim... I also love Oranges.. They truly are beautiful. I also have been searching for a true orange Plumeria. I think I found one!!!

Hi Lynn!! LOL.. Thank you!!!

Hi Roxanne!!! I just love this one too!! It's funny.. I thought of Kapalua .... I think they are in different in many ways. Kapalua will always be a very special bloom and has such special qualities... It is the " King.." But... This one is a special one too!! I can see differences in the two, but this OD is so unique. ;-)

Hi Chuy,,, I love the orange color... mahalo!!!

Hi Andrew.. Lol.. I'm sure their will be a demand for this beauty. Hopefully in a few years these trees will be ready for cuttings. Thank you!!! They are beautiful... I'm so excited!!!

Hey Mike!! Thank you!!! hope all is well!

Hi Dave... This cutting is rooting in my greenhouse and has leaves about 6-7 inches long. The very first bloom that I had was yellow, then with the heat the second one turned more orange. It does have a big color change due to the high temps. I just came home from a trip tonight and I have a few more blooms on this tree. Most are true orange and the older one has turned back to a yellow... The fragrance is still strong. All of the cuttings this year have done well in the humid conditions in my greenhouse . I had mentioned to James ( Freak) that I rooted a Duvachelle and he said that it was one that was difficult to root. When I bought this cutting, I thought I was bidding on a rooted tree, well i was wrong. darn... Just a two tipped cutting!! It rooted very quickly and is pushing out leaves that are 6-8 inches and roots are showing all around the cup. If I knew it was going to be one that I though was difficult, I probably would have issues with it. Lol.. You just never know what ones will do well... I'm still amazed ...

Hi James!!! Thank you so much for the kind comments!!
    LOL.. It does sound like a dessert.. Seems like it should have "sherbet or parfait behind the name of " Dutch Orange..." It does sound delicious!!! I am so pleased to have one here on the East Coast!! It will be fun to see the difference in coloration between the east and the west!!

Cheers right back to you!!!

Hi Mima... I agree... It does sound like a tasty treat!!! mahalo!!!

Kenny.. I think this one will be a winner.. Thank You!!!

Thank you Mark!! I certainly appreciate the kind comment!!!

Hi Texasplum.. Thank you so much!!!

Hi Simi!! Thanks for helping me with the explanation to Dave on the color change.. I was out working and I just came home tonight. I can't believe all,of the nice comments on the Dutch Orange.. Makes it really special!!

The blooms tonight are really orange and the older ones have faded to yellow. I can't wait to see what happens with more heat here in VB. ;-)

Thank you again...

Have a Great night everyone!!!

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments. I was so surprised to see this many in one day.

Mahalo!!!

Laura

I wanted to show another pic that I thought I had posted originally... The ant is wandering all around on the petals... Lol!!!

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:23

Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of Dutch Orange this morning..

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave.. Here is a pic of the older blooms fading to yellow...

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of the fading yellow...

Laura

• blooms4me2
    10 years ago

Hi everyone **

Oh my gosh, that dutch orange is now on my list of must have's *flipping my list page over now to write it down*
    That is absolutely gorgeous! WOW!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

HOLY COW, Laura - it's gorgeous!!!! Now, I want one, too!!!!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

OMG sooooo GORGEOUS that I have to get one...;P
    I think it is a must have, especially for the orange fans.
    Thanks again Laura.

• rox146
    10 years ago

So, I guess the whole thing is....get in line... :-)))))

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Yes Roxanne :-). I am a huge fan of the color orange!!

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous Laura!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Now THAT'S orange! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It's got the great shape on top the great color, too. It will root for you, Laura--you've got the touch with rooting.

Nice to hear it has a good scent.

I've seen only a couple photos of Golden Sun, but it looks very much like D.O.

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Where does the line start?! Beautiful

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Was going to ask if your greenhouse isn't cooking this time of year? Do you have a fan going? or just leave all the vents open? The heat probably adds to the color -- and rooting success of all those cuttings.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

B4M2... Thank you.... You will fit in here quite nicely, but hold onto that debit card.. You will see so many and then your other half will start watching for the Fed Ex man before you can see him coming.. LOL!! I'm glad you like the color. It is beautiful!!

Hi Kay!! So nice to see you!!! Thank you!!!

James... Thank You!!! I agree, it is one to have if you are an orange fan!!
    Cheers!!!

HI Roxanne... You are to funny!! I guess there will be a line for this beauty!!
    I would be standing right in the line too!!!

Thanks Chuy!!!

Thank you Powder!

Hi Jen!! Nice to see you!! Where is K? Hope he is well? How was that vacation? ;-)

I LOVE this orange too!! I need to check out the Golden Sun. It was on one of the eBay sites a few months ago, but I will check it out...

The DO has rooted and I just ported it up yesterday.. I really like using the cups now. I can just gently squeeze the cup when it is upside down and the whole rootball comes out easily. Better than cutting the bottles...

I wish I had as much faith in me as you do in rooting.. LOL!! Thank you tho!!! Nice to see you!!! Enjoy!! ;-)

Texasplum.. Good question!!! Thank You!!!

Hi Dave...The greenhouse has a shade cloth on it and I leave it on all year. It does have a thermostat and I have it set on 85 degrees . So the auto fans turn on and off. It has a intake fan at one end and outtake at the opposite in. It also has manuel vents at the top ends and i also leave the door open all summer long. I do hear it kick on a few times during the day, but it doesn't run for a long time...the cuttings are in the black tub and are also sitting on a heat mat at all times. This does seem to help them . Rooting right now are Golden Pagoda, JL Don Ho, Mr Ambassador and a few others.. I am also trying to root a Kapalua cutting which is looking promising ... We shall see!! They do seem to like the conditions as well as the humidity in there. I mist them every so often.

The heat on the back deck adds to the coloration in all the blooms I have blooming.. The only one that is blooming in the greenhouse is the Dutch Orange because it pushed an inflo at the same time. Last night, I repotted the rooted cutting into its own container. The blooms are all looking as if I didn't touch it. But.. YOU know I was careful.. LOL. I wasn't going to ruin the blooms or have any buds drop. I went ahead and potted up because we have about 45 more days before I start to think about bringing in the trees or at least getting them ready for the " annual march of the Plumies ..."

It's a work I progress... ;-)

Planning on getting one?

Take care,

Laura

• Minderella
    10 years ago

Laura, What kind of cups are you talking about? Did you get my email I sent last night?

I bought Golden Sun last year from Matt. I can't believe I have one you don't have . That is a miracle.

Mindy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mindy!!!

Just read your email and I was getting ready to reply... Lol. Which address. ;-). Glad you had a good find the other night. I'm so glad you found that tree!! I'll send you one in a minute.

Lol.. Im sure there are lots that I don't have.. LOL. I can't wait to see you Golden Sun bloom!! great buy!! I did eyeball it then, but I was trying to be good. Love the color of that bloom!!! It sure is a beauty,, Hard to find too!

I am so glad YOU have it!! Your collection is getting bigger and bigger!!

You must be thrilled at the last purchase? I know, I am happy for you!!,

Laura

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I sent it from MelindaKlly. I have around 18 plants now.
    Mindy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mindy.

I use the large Starbucks plastic or if I have smaller cuttings, I use the clear solo cups.

I'll email you soon. I'm still getting home from work.

Laura

• Minderella
    10 years ago

I am on vacation and bored

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Laura, you're right: clear plastic cups are much easier than bottles to root and transplant out of!

Yeah, reminds me of Golden Sun, U of H Orange and Kaleinani (are they even all the same thing?). But I don't know if any get as orange as your and George's descriptions of DO. We need someone who has a massive collection of plumies and can compare foliage, branches, blooms, etc. No small task!

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have 2 Kaleinani and 1 U of H orange...they are both blooming 2 different from each other. Kaleinani grows like seaweed. U of H so far as a cutting has a very small orangish flower.....roxanne

• Minderella
    10 years ago

Roxanne, what do you mean grows like seaweed?

• rox146
    10 years ago

that means it grows SUPER fast ...at.least for my area. Seaweed can grow a foot a day... :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

hi everyone!!

i was looking at the Golden Sun and the colors in the Dutch Orange. The petals have a similar shape, although the golden sun seems more opaque than the DO , I also have heard that there can be some pink streaks in the DO at times. Who knows what this one is? What ever it is, it's a beauty!!!

Laura.

• pcput
    10 years ago

"Beauty" in deed :)))))

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Any new pics, Laura? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Peg!!!

Hi Jen. I do have some new blooms. I'll post when I get home.

They are so beautiful !

Thank you!! ;-)

Laura

• texasplum
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see the new ones

Original Author
    10 years ago

This morning !!

Still looking beautiful. !!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

These blooms fell off in my hands ...

Checkout the slight pink edge on the outer rim of the petals...

This tree is amazing...

Laura

• joanr
    10 years ago

Laura,

I just love this bloom. I have always loved the color orange so this one is definitely on my list of wants!

When you live in Texas and have UT & Sam Houston and kids that went to college there, you have to be partial to orange :)

Thanks for sharing the blooms with us.

Joan

Original Author
    10 years ago

Joan...

I put this orange beside the Scott Pratt!!

VIRGINIA TECH!!! LOL!!!

I agree. Love the orange and burgundy!!! ;-). Go HOKIES!!!
    Laura

• joanr
    10 years ago

Well Scott Pratt would be for "A&M" so we have all the bases covered :)

Joan

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Don't worry, Joan, there's already an orange in the process of being registered as "Texas Longhorn"! And about time, too!

I want to say it's Paula F. who's developed it. I'm already on the list!

Laura, the upturn inner edges are killer! That is one gorgeous bloom!

• MariaTR
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!
    Can you advise where I can get a cutting of the Dutch and Longhorn?

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Plumeria blooms.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Maria,

Thank you.. This Dutch Orange is beautiful.. If one does come available ( cutting) it will be posted on the forum. It was named from a friend who lives in California and I'm not sure if he has any cuttings available as of this time..
    But if he does, then I'll post it here for you!!

Texas Aggie can be purchased from Fuzzy on eBay when he puts his trees online for purchase. He goes by the name Bloomingplumerias. On eBay.

Check online.. Others might have Texas Aggis as well..

Good luck!

Laura

• puspamedia
    9 years ago

its so beatiful sis,

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Looks like a beautiful sunset, Laura!

Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked gidgetsocal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dave.. Lol. I got in and then I was out again... I think there are little glitches still that are being worked on. I tried to sign in on my cell.. Nothing. I couldn't get on. I'm just going to not touch anything for a while.. ;-)

Hi Wendi! You are so sweet.. I would have missed you all too!! You really don't know had bad you want to be in when it says.. " can't confirm". Yikes!!

I'm just glad everyone is getting on and is posting.. We need our friends here!! New friends too!!

Have a great evening!!

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

I just posted and it says 6:44 pm. It's 9:44 here.. Maybe i am really in Cali? Lol... Strange...

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Meet you at JJ's! Lol!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Tell John to keep the doors open for us.. Love that place!!!

• leticia carrera
    7 years ago
    is there any way i can buy or trade a cutting of this plumeria. im trying to start a collection.
    Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia thanked leticia carrera
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Leticia..,

How strange is this?? I just walked outside earlier and I have an inflo on my Dutch Orange.. ;-)

As far as cuttings.. I'm not sure any are available.. My tree is still shaping up from being a cutting as well.. So it's not ready to cut.

if I hear of any, I'll let you know. I'll also post a picture when my Dutch Orange blooms..

i have several blooming.. A new post will be made later tonight!!

aloha!!

Laura

• rox146
    7 years ago

racoon ate my Dutch Orange...

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!