Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

Patience running low.

Ok I dont know if Im ranting, venting, asking, or just what.

This is my first try at cuttings. Long story short. I bought 3 cutting from Exotic Plumeria back in June. Purchased on site and brought home. Scott Pratt, Celadine, Puu'Kahea(now gone to rot).

all where dipped in rooting hormone put in clear bottles with a well draing mix on 6-24-12 and put into full sun, shaded during the really hot days. Scott pratt has since put out a few new small leaves but neither it nor Celadine have any roots that I can see. Bottles are in a Nursery pot in full sun to help get them warm. My temps are running in the low to mid 90's and mid to high 60's at night. On really hot days or when they look extra wrinkly Ill mist them a bit.

I know everyone says to be patient especially the Reds but I though for sure Celadine would have done something by now. This sunday will be 10 weeks :(

Ive told myself I will never buy cuttings again and just pay extra for rooted plants. I figure 10, 15, 20 extra bucks is worth not waiting.

How do you all do it so easily.

Mike

Comments (47)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Mike,

Sheesh I could have written that post!! So I feel your pain. I don't know how or why people are able to root so easily while I can't get even one to take. So I don't have any answers for you per se, but I sure can understand your frustration! Thus far I killed 5 already. 4 are not doing anything since June. I am so tempted to take them out to see what in the world is going on under there. So for me I would rather just pay a little more and get a rooted plants than go through this agony!

I saw Tom's Plumerias cuttings at Armstrong but I did not buy any for I still don't know how to root! :(

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Mike,

So sorry you're having problems! If I ever try to root some cuttings I'm going to try the mulch method where the cut ends are covered in mulch. Looks pretty simple and for a newbie that's what I need.

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks No-clue, Robert.

Maybe as the days grow shorter Ill sneakily move them closer to the trash can until they get the hint, LOL. Maybe that will teach them to just sit there.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Heat and humidity baby!
    At night with the heat index it hovers in the mid-90`s, upper 90`s to 100`s during day. Average humidity >80%, usually >90%. Takes about 3-4 weeks to get very healthy roots. Reds I`ve heard take longer but not too much. I never really looked at the roots to tell you the truth, they sprout leaves, I water, move to more sun.

It is kind of like living in a tropical greenhouse here in the summer, really tropical like jungle tropical.
    Tally HO!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Until this year, I haven't had much success rooting cuttings. The main advise I've received from Hetty Ford is "pot them and forget about them". Otherwise, leave them along and do not baby them. I have rooted 10 or more cuttings this year successfully. I place them in one gallon black pots, with a 75% catus mix and 25% perlite.
    Stake them, water once then put them in partial shade. It has been 100 plus in Texas. I do spray the cuttings with water once or twice a day. The main thing is the new roots are very fragile and do not stand up to movement. I learned the hard way and now stake all cuttings. Don't give up yet. It is very rewarding to see them root and then bloom. Attached is a divine purchased as a cutting last September. It sat all winter in a bedroom, rooted this spring and bloomed in August!
    Lonnie

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

I think you did everything right in the rooting process. The rest is all about patience. Some cuttings take longer than others...but I would say that 10 week old cuttings should indeed have some claw activities. Does any of them have full sized leaves yet?

I also rooted 2 cuttings this year which put out roots before any full sized leaves...so it's definitely different from plant to plant. At least you have them in clear bottles so you can tell their progress.

I've been rooting cuttings as soon as I received them in the mail. But after reading a really helpful thread about callousing new cuttings before rooting them, I'm giving it a try. I got some new cuttings that have been in the mulch for almost 2 weeks now. I will start gang-rooting them this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some exciting results to share in a few months.

Keep at it Mike. As long as they're still green, there's still hope. Don't give up!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Mike,

Don't give up...

You can do it and we all have been there. It's not easy at first, but you will have success. Like everyone above has posted..it takes time and patience. I know, you have heard this before...but like Hetty said and Bill.. Leave them alone and they will take off.

I have had my loss as well, i just had a Pops Red that i purchased rooted and it croaked. We all have things happen, but that wont make me stop.. : )

Sometimes it is hard to figure out the right "style" of rooting methods.. We have heard of so many different ways here on this forum.

Mulching..
    Just sticking it in the ground...
    half perlite/ half catcus mix...
    gritty mix...
    reg potting soil...
    water once and leave it alone...
    mist once a week..
    dont mist at all..
    water rooting...
    water rooting then placing into mix...
    Placing into bottles.. watching for burn in full sun..
    placing into containers that you cant see the roots..

Whoa.. that can make anyones head spin.. lol

Yes.. it can be so frustrating, but we have to learn from all and see what works and also take things from everyone and apply what is best for you and your growing enviroment.

When i first started rooting, i would look everyday..

I didn't touch because of the fragile roots, but i thought if i looked i would see something happen. Believe me, i still do it. LOL.. But i dont fuss over them like i used to. I pot them up and forget them. I will look in on them just to make sure they havent tipped or just to check they are still hanging in there. I can tell you that i have chucked lots of cuttings and i have lost many.. So dont think that you are doing something wrong..

It will get easier and they might still get through the rooting process. Some just take longer than others. They say reds take longer, well i rooted Black Tiger and i thought it would take forever, it was a fast one. They all are different. My California Sally took almost 3 months to root. Some cutting from a friend took 3-4 months too.

I will say that it is easier to buy rooted trees and it saves you time and stress, but you will have great satisfaction when you do have them root from your own hands.

Please don't give up, if you need new cuttings to try, let me know.. I will be more than willing to help you...i could send them now, or wait until spring.. your call.

Take care Mike.. dont move them closer to the trash can either...LOL.. You are disturbing the roots...trying to form!!!

i do the simple way.. let callas for a week, dip in roottone and pot up in a light mix (which ever you prefer.. i like Gritty mix or some use perlite and cactus mim) water once and leave. bottom heat is the key for me. i dont leave them in direct sun in the clear plastic bottles because of burn, but the heat here isnt as intense as the last three weeks when it was in the triple digits...

Just try again and it will happen..promise!! : )

Have a great day Mike!!

Laura

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the voices of reason. Maybe it just hasnt been humid enough around here. It has for sure been hot enough but the humidity has been very low for us.

K2
    neither has full leaves yet but the Pratt put out 3 or 4 that are about 2-3 inches long. When it did that I thought it was taking off but then it stopped. Celadine does have claws about an inch long but It also had those when i got it from Allen, they may have grown a 1/4"

Laura

you are too kind. good thing for me is I dont quit easy.
    I only have about 3-4 weeks of optimal outdoor weather. I do have some grow lights on the way so I will move them into the house before the trash can gets em,LOL

Thanks All!

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Mike, I did mine in the spring, before we got the 100 degree days. I had great success rooting cuttings. I lost my first rooted cuttings, when I put them in full sun after they were rooted(they need to go in dapple sun) This is how I rooted my cuttings. I dipped in root hormone, put mine in gritty mix in clear plastic bottles. Watered once, kept them on the hot pavement that gets full morning sun( East side of my garage) They still feel the heat from the afternoon, but are not in direct afternoon sun. I have them in an area where the sprinkler system doesn't hit them If we get rain, they may get some water, but I have the opening of the water bottle tight, so only alittle water can get in. I spoke to Tex today and he said if a cutting rots, its because its getting water. He said to root cuttings you need to just forget about them once you water them once. We have similar weather, my plumeria are in Rockport Texas, and they are on their own, since I live in San Antonio. Once they get rooted, I put in 2/3 miracle grow potting soil, and 1/3 gritty mix, not just perlite. This has really been working for me with the potted plants. If I plant them into the ground I have to use 100% miracle grow. I have sugar sand, and only the 100 % MG potting soil works. I can't wait to try cuttings again this spring. I think if you move your cuttings to the east side of your house, you will have better luck. Also make sure you are not using green cutting, they need to be grayish in color. Green cuttings are hard to root even for the pros. Barbra

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I've rooted 4 cuttings this spring and the all rooted in about 4 weeks. I use root tone on them and put them in 2gal. black plastic pots, water and set them in full sun and let them do their own thing,I'm hoping to have flowers next year if not the year after.They seem to like the abuse they get I don't like to fuss with potted plants any how.

Bear

Original Author
    11 years ago

You know maybe if I put them in the corner of the yard, kinda like time out, I bet that will teach em. Haha..

Thanks Barbra. These are grey and good size.

Bear

that may be the approach i need to take with them.

Mike

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Treat them like a sulky teenager, ignore them!
    Tally HO!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Mike you said you had them in bottles in full sun this summer? I hope they did not cook in those. I would be very careful about rooting in bottles in summer. Maybe keep the bottles in a larger pot where they can be shaded and then put cuttings in dappled sun.

Anyway, hope they're not cooked in the bottles. Can you carefully check them to make sure? If they're not rooted, you don't have anything to lose. If they're cooked you'll have to cut off the rotted parts.

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

My Pops Red is doing the same think your Scott Pratt is doing. It gives you the impression that it's about to take off and then it just stops. I've been trying to root this puppy since March. I think this is what people mean when they say "fussy red." It's got plenty of negligence from me now. I ended up buying a rooted one from 1-stop-aloha in May, this one has been the slowest growing one for me. If your cuttings are still firm and not wrinkly too much, there's still a chance to root them.

I admit I have terrible luck in getting smaller cuttings to root. I would say it depends on the health of the cuttings as well. Last month I bought a rooted cutting and was given a free bonus one. The seller sent them in a very slim box with no special instruction (i,e: live plants, keep away from direct sunlight/heat) so the postman stuffed it inside the mailbox. It was during our 100+ degree days (highest was 107F). I only check my mail like 2 twice a week so by the time I discovered them, they have been baking in the mailbox for 4 days. Since both of them are small (about 8 inches long) and slim, I was for sure they were both goners.

After I soaked them in superthrive and potted them, they were left in the shade for a couple of weeks. The rooted one only received dapple sun and the cutting only received morning sun. 4 weeks later the rooted one took off really well, it pushed out new leaves and the unrooted one also has roots but none of its leaves are open.

Here is a picture of my bonus cutting as of 4 weeks:

Close up of bottle, you can see very fine roots forming against the inner walls.

So I was very surprised of course when I saw roots after the ordeal they both went through. Plumerias are so resilient, they can definitely surprise you. So just give them time, don't poke or move them out of the soil, you might destroy the young roots.

Let me know if you still want Puu Kahea, I might be able to pick up a cutting for you. It will be cheap (about $5), but you might have to wait til spring when the weather is warm enough to get it. I bought a Puu Kahea cutting 2 weeks ago for $5 that I'm going to start rooting tomorrow.

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave. I made sure to keep the bottles covered some.how because of that. They still are pretty sturdy and so far no signs of rot.

Kenny. Great job on those! What a good deal on Puu. I will for sure take you up on that.

Thanks
    Mike

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

I'll be in Hawaii in November so will def let you know by mid-Nov if I found one. Chances are very likely as I know my plumeria sources there ;)

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome. We went back in 06 before I even knew about plumeria. Probably a good thing. LOL. Let me know ill send a few $20's with ya ;)

Mike.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Great to see those roots to confirm mine. I bought a 2 tip Dazzler from 1-stop. A week and a half later, the claws started showing movement and a few days later, I saw a couple of thread-like items, which from this pic, I can now see they are roots. Yay!

I also got 12 cuttings from that original Alohaplumeria deal. I put 4 in plastic bottles in each 5 gallon pot with about a couple inches of pebbles at the bottom and they get maybe 2 or 3 hours of direct sun in the morning on the east facing porch. I think the black pot helps get the heat up but kind of shades the clear bottles from baking the soil. After a couple of weeks, they all show shiny tips by the claws, except for a 3 tip Celadine which for some reason rotted up to the soil line after about a week and a half. They were all potted at the same time in the same half perlite/half cactus mix so I guess the Celadine must have had some issue. Here's a picture of one of the pots.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I think a well calloused cut end matters a lot. I received this Celadine in early July and just stuck it in some cheap potting soil mixed with a random amount of perlite. I left it in shade and it received less than an hour of sun a day. And I did not water it at all until today.

While another Celadine cutting I purchased earlier than this one still doesn't has any root. It was fresh cut before it was shipped so the callous was not as well develop. I think a well calloused end helps prevent rot.

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Mike,

Perhaps we're getting to the point of overkill, but you may be interested in a story which I shared with No-Clue earlier this summer:

Last August (2011, that is), I purchased from 1-stop a cutting of 'Tropical Spider' which I immediately set up to root. I enjoy a long growing season where I live, but the cutting did not root before the days grew short. And so, around Christmastime, I shrugged my shoulders, pulled it out and placed it on a shelf on its side. In March, I set it back up, and put it out in the sun. And there it sat, doing nothing, for several more months. Finally in late June I got claws and then roots--almost a year in the process.

Of course, if all cuttings took that long to root, most of us would pro'ly not bother. But some do take their sweet time, for whatever reason. I generally do not see roots as quickly as some others in this thread. If I set up several cuttings at the same time, 10 weeks later some will likely show some roots, but others likely will not. It's all part of the mystique LOL but that's why it's so cool.

Or not, maybe, for you? It's for each of us to decide. Rootballs are great too.

Greg

• beachplant
    11 years ago

reminds me of amaryllis, I pulled some out of pots to put in the garden, one has bloomed the past 2 years, not a single root on it! Grows great, great blooms, foliage, not a root one.
    Hang in there!

Greg, wow! a year!
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow greg that is a long time and some great patience.

Musa, Del Nice pics of your setups.

Thanks

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I think Laura really hit it on the head. She was saying that there are so many diffrent techniques for rooting plumerias. I tend to agree with her on that...but I bet if you weree to ask each person here what technique they use, they would probobly only give you one...maybe 2.

Something else I want you to consider, we both do not live in the tropics. You had said that your summer hsn't been too humid. In my opinion, you can still root plumeria in lower humidity areas. I know that there are people that grow and propogate plumeria in Arizona, and you know that there enviroment is pretty dry for most of the year.

I rooted about 6 or 7 cuttings indoors under my HPS light over winter last year. I also wanted to share my experience with rooting cuttings in clear water bottles. I use these as much as I can. We buy bottled water to drink so I like using these because for one there free, and also, when it comes time to repot your rooted cutting, it's very easy to get the cutting out. I just take a knife and slit the bottle length wise on both sides, then I pull back the plastic and remove the root ball.

This summer was really hot here in western NY. I live in zone 6, about 10 minutes away from Lake Erie. Starting mid June, we had many, MANY record breaking hot days. I have a side walk in front of my apartment, and I like using it for my plumeria. I have a row of plumeria on both edges. When I repot my plumeria from the water bottles, I either put them into a 1 gal milk jug, or into a 1 gal black plastic nursery pot. I also get free gal/half gal juic jugs from my partner's work. Since there free, I use many of these too. Now like I said, we broke record temps several days each month this year. Some of those days, our record high would be 85, and we hit 98 degrees. On those days, I would break out my soil thermometer, and take readings. On that day, when temps were 98, my soil reading came out to 95. My pots are mostly shaded due to the larger 2-3 year old plumeria above the cuttings.

What I wanted you to know was that I didn't lose any cuttings like that...not from the soil's temps. Now we went to Florida for 10 days. We left on one of the last few days of the month of June, and we came back after the 4th. None of my cuttings outside died. I did have a sad discovery indoors though. One of my Lani cuttings that had rooted, had fallen out of the window, and was lying on the floor with no roots. That cutting even though I repotted it, and babied it, did eventually die.

I almost lost some of my more mature trees but I think that was because it was so hot, and I wasn't home to water them. When I got back home, I watered like crazy. Some of my plumeria really looked like they were in trouble, such as my Scentsational. It had a big soft spot on it, and the whole tree looked like cooked asparagus. I was really worried about that cutting but that even pulled thru.

I want to offer you one piece of advise before I go. One lesson that I learned is that if you really want to understand your plumeria, it's not a bad idea to invest into a cheap note pad that you can make notes or right down your observations. Then later when you have time, you can put all th is info on your computer. It really does come in handy. I have done this for a little while now, and I have had to refer back to my notes a few times. This really becomes handy when you have a plumeria blooming. You can recrod things like flower color, fragrance, how long the bloos lasted, if it rebloomed for you....

Good luck on your rooting, and just remember they can take forever to root sometimes..like me with my Hilo Beauty that took 2 years to root(and no I wear that I am not exagerating at all!).

Andrew

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow andrew. Thanks for that. 2 years..you are very patient.

Here are the brats. I took a current photo in case they end up missing..lol

mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Nothing better to cure frustration then spending some money. I picked up a JJ's Angels Touch today for $13. Rooted two tip at Southwood. I know its nothing special but it makes me feel better LOL.

Mike

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

How many are left now? I went to Southwood last Sunday. I think there were 3 or so Angel Touch plants left at 50% off. Did you see the 5 gal Scentsational and Premium Yellow? I was tempted to pick up Scentsational but it seems a bit too lanky for me.

It's hard to believe just a few month ago there was a table full of plumies, now they're almost all gone. LOL

I bet this means next year, they'll be getting some more JJ plants. I can't wait :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey K. Just three 3 angels touch left.
    Yeah I've been watching those bigger ones. Robert has been eyeing one also. My scentsational is about as tall but has a better shape. I want to get with their purchaser and see if we might be able to request some types.

I know I helped empty their shelf. I got 7 I think maybe 8 LOL.

Mike

11 years ago

I vote Rhonda! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Me too Robert.

Im sure they only get the more common types because thats how they can sell them for $25 in the spring. The more desirable rhonda and say J105 would cost more and may not fit the price point. although if they had one of those for 35, 45 sitting next to the other common ones I know I would buy them first. Only problem for Southwood is they dont know that you and I and Kenny would snatch them up so they cant risk them not moving and have to mark them down loosing money. one day I will try and get over there and let them know our interest and maybe we can pre-order some of the ones we want.

If you noticed they got the big ones only after we went and bought up a bunch of the smaller ones. They probably thought they would move fast also and the only one gone now is the one that wouldnt stand up straight. It probably went to the wood shed because of how flimsy it was.

Mike

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Mike, it's also possible that that is just the way stores do, re:small size then larger. At Armstrongs here in California, they have only 1 gallon sizes in June with maybe a couple larger ones, then when all those are gone, a few weeks later they stock only 5 gallon or larger sizes.

Original Author
    11 years ago

SUCCESS!!!...... I think, LOL. Ok so that may be a bit overstated but I am happy to report that I do have roots, finally! Official time for me is almost 14 weeks. I hope my next try will be less. I may have to go ahead and order a Puu Kahea to replace the one I lost back in the summer.

first off I would like to thank God, my parents, my peers, the Internet, the wonderful people of Garden Web, in particular the Plumeria forum. my fans because without you I am nothing. Im sure there are others Im forgetting.

Ok mike get of your high horse its not like you won an Oscar or grammy.

without further ado, scott pratt on the left, celadine on the right.

they are hanging out under my grow light for now.

mike

11 years ago

Too funny, Mike! Congrats! This gives me hope in case I ever try my hand at rooting them. :)

-Robert

• elucas101
    11 years ago

LOL!!! Loved your speech. Great job on the rooting! That's a big "WHEW" when you know those roots are finally there.

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Way to go Mike! I know the feeling. I have several cuttings in bottles. Two have several small leaves but no roots showing. Two pushed inflos and have several flowers and roots showing, just like yours. I also have a 2' Dazzler cutting I got from Matt that has several leaves and showing roots. The rest I'm still waiting on.

Your speech was from the heart and off the cuff, no prepared notes, I'm sure. LOL

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Awesome, Mike! I knew you could do it! If you still want me to look for a Puu Kahea for you next month, let me know.

Kenny

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. It is a big relief when you see roots.

Kenny that would be great. Give me a heads up before you go and ill send you some cash.

Mike

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Good job Mike! Must feel so good huh? I guess we must be patient when rooting plumerias. So glad they rooted for you. :)

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Mike,

No need to give me money beforehand. I'll be leaving next month. I can pick up a Puu Kahea cutting for you and you can get it from me in the spring. It looks like I might need to head to Tulsa next spring when Southwood has JJ plants in! You might be able to get it from me in Tulsa.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good kenny!

So now that I have roots they seem to be growing pretty quick. The leaves are starting to grow as well. Do I need to do all I can to keep them going this winter or do I let it naturally go dormant?

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

HI MIke!!

BRAVO!!!

Great job...

I would keep them growing if possible with lights and heat mats..

Tomorrow i have some cuttings that have fully rooted and i am going to pot up into 1 gallon containers. They have lots of roots, so i want them to be in a more stable home for the winter.

Keep yours growing... GREAT JOB!!! :-)

Take Care,

Laura

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Congrats, Mike!
    Lonnie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Mike, isn't that a glorious sight--roots after months of waiting and frustration? Great job!

Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks everyone.

You know the best part besides just having roots is knowing that it can be done. Of course confidence in doing this can only lead to further addiction, LOL.

Celadine is really taken off and I imagine Ill need to pot it up soon.

Scott pratt is a bit slower but thats Ok.

you guys and girls rock with the support. I was really about to trash these 2.

Mike

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

The trick is to start in late spring and forget about them. Poking, moving, or lifting for roots is early death. This group of 100 cuttings were watered once in May and forgotten about. They didn't leaf out until Sept. due to some foggy weather along the way. I will probably leave them in the bottles until spring when they will be ready to plant.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Bill, I wish I'd paid attention to the way you leave your labels on the bottles. Would have saved several of my cuttings some sunburn!

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Jennifer. you can also take the center cardboard rolls out of toilet paper or paper towels, cut them to the length of the main stem, untwist them and then snap them back around the stem. They fall apart about when they are no longer needed. A big Calif. hi to you and your family especially my dog's favorite beachboy. Loved Wild Swans but labored through Mao. Take care. Bill

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Bill, good to hear from you! Our photos from the trip scroll through our t.v. screensaver, so we see you often and beachboy remembers you well, especially if we see a garden with lots of flowers blooming. He's taking swimming lessons so he'll be better prepared to surf next time, lol.

Cross-country book club! I also loved Honolulu. Thanks for the rec. If you enjoyed Wild Swans you might like Cleopatra: A Life. Brilliant and fascinating history that turns conventional ideas about her upside down. Take care and give your family our best.