Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njz7

Advice for first timer rooting a cutting

njz7
9 years ago

Hello,

I copied and expanded my follow up post from another current thread , "best and fastest way to root a cutting" as I am looking for all available advice for a first timer rooting a cutting in zone 7 costal NJ starting in mid-late August.

I am considering the egg method, and the bag method as well as water rooting for up to 3 weeks followed by potting up or bag rooting; I have read multiple threads here on the plumeria forum relating to these methods for rooting plumeria cuttings.

I just recently purchased my first fresh cutting by error on eBay; normally I purchase rooted cuttings.

I am in zone 7 costal New Jersey, and while the weather is hot to mild here in late August through September, I realize it is not the best time to root a cutting.

I am considering all rooting methods including egg, bag and water rooting and I have read a few threads here on the plumeria forum about each method.

A current post concerns water rooting for up to 3 weeks followed by bag rooting.

My question for "Freak " s did you follow standard procedure for bag rooting as far as moisture level in the soil mix and other bag rooting procedures?

I have read comments that cuttings water rooted for up to three weeks become somewhat accustomed to moisture and do not respond well to the typical recommendations of very dry conditions once potted up.

I am wondering if you made adjustments to the typical bag rooting procedure to account for this.

Any input, comments or info for a first timer rooting a fresh cutting in NJ zone 7 in late August / September would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ron

Comment (1)

Sponsored