Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristuti

plumeria branching

kristuti
10 years ago

Hi!
This is my 1st plumeria ever. It is from seeds and it is about 1 year and a half old. It is 80 cm tall and a leaf has about 30 cm.
When will it start to branch?
I will appreciate any advice you will like to share.
Thank you! :)

Comments (10)

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

It will branch after it blooms the first time. For seedlings this may be as much as 4 or 5 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumerias

• kristuti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for answering.
    Do you know how tall it can grow?

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

Since you live in Romania you will not be able to plant it in the ground. You will have to keep it in pots, getting a bigger pot as the plant gets bigger. I doubt it will get taller than 6 feet (slightly less than 2 meters).

• kristuti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thank you. I guess I will have to wait and see how things go. Patience is the key.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Kristuti, is she growing outdoors most of the year? That would be the best thing for her. And a bigger pot, at least twice the size of what she's in now. Three times bigger would be best.

Then you should see some thickening of the trunk, though she may still get much taller before she branches. I have several that are nearly three years old and already over three feet tall with no flowers or branching yet. You're right about patience, lol!

• kristuti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I grow it in an apartment at 8th floor. This summer i tried to put it in the balcony but some small white bugs attacked the back of its lives ...so I put it inside again.
    I was also thinking of changing its pot but should i do it now or wait for Spring. I don't know if it will go dormant. Last winter it didn't as it had light and it was hot inside.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

I am new to plumies too so I had no idea that plumies can grow leaves all over. Is it a trait for indoor grown plumerias?

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Still interested to find out the answer to my question. :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Sago..

Plumeria drop the bottom leaves as they grow. This happens to all Plumeria. Since this particular tree has been inside and is a small container, it might be limited in its natural growth pattern. That would be the answer as to why the bottom leave are still there. As the tree grows, the bottom older leaves shed from the stem. I think this tree is happy but is limited In Its growing ability.

Like Jen mentioned, if it was in a larger container and placed outside.. It would grow, shed leaves and thicken up. If the grower likes it this way... Then all is good!!! They can grow large in containers.. I have some that are 9 feet tall in containers... They can get big... ;-)

Hope this helps...

Laura

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura. I had no idea it can grow that way if indoors. Interesting, but I think I like them more the regular way. Love my plumies!

Mima

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm