Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is This About?

Posted by plucrazy 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 12:40

This is an 16 month old seedling of J105 and it is putting out some weird leaves. Anyone have an idea? Clara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is This About?

It could possibly be 'nubbing' -- that is, branching without making a bloom. Seedlings often do that when they reach a certain maturity, but before they bloom. Not sure.

Keep us posted!

o

A really wild guess for me would be thrips possibly? Are any of your other plants showing wavy or scalloped edges on the leaves?

I have one seedling that grows wavy leaves but they started like that from the beginning.

o

Hi,
some varieties will do that. They put a few leafs that do not develop and then resume with full leafs. One variety that does that on a regular basis is Sally Moragne. I would not worry about this.

tc,
George

o

I agree with George. Out of the 90 or so plumeria I have, I have seen this on probobly 30 or so, at some point in the past few years I have had my collection. Unless your finding evidence of insect infestations I would say your safe. One of my JJ Orange rooted cuttings did this to me this year.

Andrew

o

Thank you for posting this... and George thank you for your reply. My Sally Moragne which I purchased early in the season out of all of the ones I have did this with quite a few of it's leaves with no sign of an infestation. My Penang Peach had one leaf like this as well. I wondered what was going on. I thought it might have been the heat but the others were not affected.

o

Charlotte Ebert is putting out leaves like that where she was broken off by a dog.
Tally HO!

o

My Dane is doing this now. Looks kind of cool as long as it is not harmful to the plant.

o

Happy to report Charlotte has a bunch of new growth and normal looking leaves.
Tally HO!

o

Tally - Glad to hear your CE is doing well. The cutting you sent is coming along just fine, too. That middle cutting is just sitting there, but it's firm and showing no signs of rotting. I know it will take it a little longer. Slaughter's Pink is doing fine, too.

o

I love Slaughter pink, it used to grow everywhere on the island being so easy to root.

Glad the cuttings are doing well, the stem chunks do seem to take longer to show any signs of life.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here