Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Plumeria Cutting 911!!!

No-Clue
10 years ago

Hello friends,

I hope you all are doing well. I'm sorry I have not been around much... hectic summer running around w/ the kids.

Anyway, today was the first day I had a few moment in the morning to tend to my garden. So the first thing I did (which is long over due) was to examine my Buddha Raksa cutting that I have been trying to root since September 2012. About 8 weeks or so ago it looked like it was finally going to root based on the little spikes I saw up top. But since then NOTHING!! So I decided to pour out the soil which was not hard to do since it was bone dry. I noticed right away that I buried the cutting 3.5 inches deep so I'm not sure it that has anything to do with why I'm having zero success with my cuttings.

Here is the view from the top. I was hoping the new spikes would turn into leaves but still nothing!! I'm ready to toss the darn thing into the trash!

Here is what it looks like underneath. I have no idea if this means it rooted or not?!

So is this dead or alive or what?

I left it soaking in the ST water while I posted this since I have no idea what I should do next. Besides it's soo wrinkly I just figured it can use a drink. Part of the trunk was sunburned so I covered it up.

Now do I pot it up and water it? Pot it back up and not water it? Toss it in the garbage can? Help!!

Comments (10)

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

It would take more then that before I would give up. If it was mine, I would put it back in soil and give it a big drink of water. It looks very dry to me and what have you got to lose. And with this hot weather I would make sure that I watered it at least every 5 days. Keep doing this and you should see little leaves that will grow in to big leaves soon. Barb

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb,

But it has been almost a year! Why does it take sooo LONG?? I'm beyond frustrated with this. I didn't water it because I read that you shouldn't until you see leaves!

You're right I have nothing to lose. I just wish it would be easier for me.

See Bill I didn't mess with it for 11 months! And still the darn thing refused to root! This is why I really don't like cuttings! They don't like me. :(

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Those are roots! Get that thing watered or it will never grow!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

Are you saying that I rooted a cutting? LOL.

Ok so pot it up and start to water once every 5 days like Barb said? Will do! Thank you guys!

• isobea
    10 years ago

In the fall of 2011 I got a big Cooks Bay cutting which I put directly into a south facing flowerbed (with reflected heat from a wall). It took over 1 1/2 years to root and finally grow leaves even though a San Miguel cutting to the left of it and a Puu Kahea cutting to the right of it rooted without any problems. I guess sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to what these cuttings will (or won't) do. So don't give up yet.
    Good luck, Iso

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Hey, you rooted it! It should perk up now that it has roots. Did you have it in a clear container? Having done it both ways, I will now never root in anything but a clear plastic bottle or cup.

I've seen both extremes with rooting cuttings: a cutting like yours with no leaves and lots of roots, and a cutting with lots of leaves and absolutely no roots.

There's no telling some times and, yes, they can take over a year sometimes to do anything!

The time of year, health/maturity of the cutting, the rooting conditions, and variety will all be variables that determine how easily the cutting will root.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jandey,

I potted it up in the clear plastic bottle but I think I might have buried it too deep. Next time (woah... did I say next time?) I will not bury one as deep. :)

Anyway, I repotted her up in the one gal pot and gave her a good drink. She's now sitting on my patio in the back yard anchored by some pavers (just in case wind or wild animal try to knock it over). Let's hope she will grow. It has been very hot here the past week so hopefully the warm weather will help.

This is a special cutting from a special friend so I hope she will make it. Thank you all for your encouragement! Have a great day!

L

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn!!!

Nice roots!!! ;-)

If you do as others mentioned above, I think she might have a chance!!

I agree with Jen, so many variables in rooting.. Heat, humidity, health of the cutting all play a major role in the rooting process . My cuttings are all potted in the Starbucks plastic cups. They seem to work well because of the flat bottom and I can cut the slits on The bottom easier than the bottles.

The added advantage also for the clear containers is that you can see root activity without messing with the containers...

Good Luck, Lynn!!!

Yes... You said next time!!! ;-)

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,

You know your priorities changed when you get super happy hearing "Nice roots!" instead of "Nice rack!". LMAO!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Lol... ;-)

Laura