Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterfly15_ca

Where to Get a Good Plumeria?

butterfly15_ca
18 years ago

I am going to try and start growing plumerias in pots. I have checked my local nurseries for plumies and the cheapest I can find is 30 bucks! Does anyone know of a place to get them for cheap?

Comments (34)

• Q101
    18 years ago

Well, if you don't mind a short wait, I have had excellent success from Florida Colors...out of the three I got last year, two are getting set to bloom and all three are great plants.

There are also Maui Gardens and the Dole Plantation's online store.

HTHs,

KWien

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    18 years ago

I don't know where you are located in CA, but in the LA area, all the Armstrong Nurseries were selling them for around $14.

• chanbr
    18 years ago

Lowe's near Torrance CA was selling plumerias at $8 a pot.

• Arl_Tom
    18 years ago

I second Dole Plantation. Nice variety of named variety cuttings at decent prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dole Plantation

• Shelley19
    18 years ago

I've also heard C Stars Nursery in Gardena is a good place to buy quality plumerias, but I'm not sure how low the prices are.

• plumielover
    18 years ago

To buy plants from FC is a good choice. However, their plants always contain the orange rusts and it is really hard to get rid of those rusts.
    I believe the plumerias for sale at Dole Plantation belong to Jim Little. If you want to buy that you might as well buy fresh from him.
    To my opinion the plumerias from Lowe's and C Stars are just common and inferior plants.
    For me, it is best to spend a little more money to get better varieties and better quality plants.

If you live in California, it is best to buy plants that rooted or grafted in California for strength and desease free.

PL.

• marty
    18 years ago

Can you give the Jim Little contact information? Does he have a website?
    Marty

• Desertsongs
    18 years ago

I like Maui Plumeria Gardens. I bought some cuttings this spring and they are going like gangbusters!
    I also tried Dole this year and yes, the cuttings are from Jim Little's farm. But I think they sit on the shelf for awhile in the retail store and they are not all that nice. Hawaii Sandy sells Jim Little's plants on ebay. They are MUCH nicer than Dole's. But usually quite pricey.

• mitzi1956
    16 years ago

im not sure how you feel about ebay but there pretty cheap on there. i bought a yellow one and it came in very good condition and came fast

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

Butterfly 15 - Where are you in California? It is easier to answer if we know what city you are in as the zone 9 in Calif is hundreds of miles long. Bill

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi PL.
    I am going to stand up for those buying plants from CStars or Armstrong, some Home Depots.. they are not inferior..or common. When I first started growing plants I was thrilled with playful, pacific pearl, celadine and some of those plants after 4 years doing great. This summer Armstrong near me had a lot of top names of plants to buy. Perhaps not the fancy rainbows or plants from Maui Gardens, but good plants. Those going to Lowes or ? buying their first white, red or yellow.. are thrilled to get a flower to bloom.. They are just fine..got to start somewhere.

My opinion.
    Karen B

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

I am from the San Francisco Mid-Peninsula, can anyone tell me where I can find a good Plumeria? Is my zone considered a 10a? Also I like a red One, I already have a white/yellow. By the way, It has a crack at the base of the trunk, I hope it's o.k, it looks kind of deep...HELP !!!

• jewhe
    15 years ago

Do any of yu have experience with or opinions about Exotic Plumeria? They claim to have a Metallica that is beautiful!

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Butterfly,
    Since your in Cali you should try Jungle Jacks, they specialize in the best quality Thai plumerias

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

Was there something wrong with my recent posting? I recently bought a baby Plumie at a garden show, it's in a 3 1/4 inch pot, can anybody tell me if I should transplant it in a slightly bigger pot? I notice on the bottom that the roots look quite packed, also already has six leaves and is about 13 inches high.
    I'd appreciate any help, I'm in the San Francisco Mid-Peninsula Area.

ANNAMARIA

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

fancyorchid- Your plant should at least be in a 7" high by 7"diameter (1 gallon) pot or 8+ x9 (2 gallon) pot. I like to keep plants in smaller pots until roots grow out or the plant is top heavy and blows over. Too big a pot can be a problem as they often hold too much moisture if the root ball is not big enough to pull out the water. Bill

• balamay
    15 years ago

hi all,
    Can any one tell where to get white plumeria in phoenix?
    Thanks

• jewhe
    15 years ago

Have any of you ever bought from "bloomingplumerias" on ebay? There are so many new ones and I am not familiar with them. Thanks
    Jennie

• trojanfan53
    15 years ago

Jennie, bloomingplumerias (Fuzzy) a good guy on ebay, I've bought many plants from him cuttings & rooted. Good Luck
    Dave

• jewhe
    15 years ago

Dave, that is good to know because he had a lot of good choices on Friday but I was outbid anyway. :( I'll add him to my list for next time.
    Jennie

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

Actually, I think I'm in zone 9, the San Francisco Mid-Peninsula, I like to know if it is safe to re-pot my plumies, one is still dormant--has been out of my garage and I'm exposing it to sunshine, the other one has 4 leaves, recently purchased, but in a pot too small. I'd appreciate any help.
    Annamaria

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Now is a good time to re-pot before the leaves get fully grown. Bill

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

On EBay:

Fuzzy (BloomingPlumerias) has excellent plumeria!!! Straight from Honolulu, Hawaii!! I have purchased many plumeria plants from him over the past year and they are superb!!!! He ALWAYS makes sure the customer is Happy with their plumies! He gets an A+++ for communication, packaging, and the speediest delivery I have ever seen on EBay!! 100 % Feedback of over 1100 auctions!!! I would agree... :)

I'm happy business is good for him---he and his wife take great strides to build up their customer relationships!!!

Highly Recommend them!!!

~Mary Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomingplumerias on EBay

• Kimo
    15 years ago

Bloomingplumerias is a reliable resource. I have bought many cuttings and plants from him several years ago.
    Fuzzy has a great selections of plumies he sells.
    Qualtiy 5 star and service is 5 star.

• vicki54
    15 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has done business with Exotic Plumerias and can give me some feedback about them.

• lovefrangis
    15 years ago

Vicki, I personally think he is very overpriced. Secondly, yes I've done "business" with him and will never again (about 4 years ago). Very serious problems with 2 of the plants which he refused/denied so were never resolved on very expensive plants. All the cuttings I bought died immediately (most were not even 10") except for a Confetti, which has yet to bloom, so I have no idea if it really is the $170 cutting (which is now a tree)Confetti. Lost a couple hundred dollars to him. He's the reason I'm overly cautious (OK paranoid lol) of where I get my plants.
    I hope this doesnt offend anyone, but the question was asked, and this is my experience with the company.

• astrl
    15 years ago

I haven't bought from Exotic Plumerias. I've always thought they were a little too costly, too. Maybe if it was a unique variety but I'm not ready to take that step yet.

• nativec
    15 years ago

If you value your money don't spend it at Exotic plumeria. If you read around on the boards you'll know why. Even though you may read conflicting accounts I have had great success with Evelyn, eBay seller MAUI GALS COLLECTIONS. I have ordered from several sources. Her's were LARGE healthy, multi-branched and really reasonable. I have paid big $$$ for some Thailand cuttings from a CA seller and have been terribly disappointed. ELITEPLANT on eBay is a seller in Thailand, he is reasonable and his cuttings are very fresh and healthy.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• plumeriahut
    12 years ago

Go to my website.....

plumeriahut.com

• dbfly
    11 years ago

I am getting ready to trim my Aztec Gold. I will have about 35 cuttings over 12" long. I use this plant for grafting as it is very strong, cold tolorent and flowers a very long time. Pasadena area. $5 each

• sardonicnell
    11 years ago

hi dbfly, i live in the sf/bay area. interested with your aztec gold cuttings. would you be willing to ship them? i'll be buying at least 5 cuttings. just wondering, thanks.

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

How about Plumeria Paradise or Tropic Nature of Hawaii?

• rjcantor
    11 years ago

Plumeriahut, I tried to email you but the form wont load. When will your web site be ready? Are you a long term member here? I'm a newbie :)

• plumeriahut
    11 years ago

Hey rcantor...i couldnt get into my account. Sorry it Took so long...you should be able to visit the website and we now have the plumeria store available on the website... www.plumeriahut.com