Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Penang Peach blooms

Here's a six-petal Penang Peach bloom.

I 'disassembled' my largest plant a year ago. Just too large to schlep around. Broke it up into cuttings. Have 4 smaller plants now. Largest is blooming. I just can't get enough of this variety!

Just got 3 inches of rain! Woohoo! Don't have to water plants for a few days.

Comments (7)

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Beautiful Dave! Penang Peach has been a favorite of mine ever since I bought it a few years ago. Loved the scent and it bloomed almost non stop from November to Valentines Day!

I understand why you would want multiples of this variety. I bought a second PP the same year!

Love your 6 petaled flower!

I don't mean to change the subject but don't you also grow Thai Giant Elephant Ear? I bought one of these this past June and it has grown like a beast! My largest leaves are now around 3ft wide and long. I read on some older posts that growers recommend growing this variety over the winter. I am just not sure if i will have the space for it. I thought about cutting it back and putting the root in a large tub filled with peat moss. Do you have any suggestions?

Andrew

• chuy415
    9 years ago

simply GORGEOUS!!!! thanks for sharing!!

Chuy

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    9 years ago

Looks great. Penang Peach is always a crowd pleaser. Mine has been going since June and usually doesn't stop producing flowers until late November but has gone as far as Christmas with blooms.

• kitnor
    9 years ago

How big does a Penanch Peach Plumeria get. I was thinking of ordering one but I didn't want a really big tree. I have to restrict the my size to a potted plant.
    I thought it was among the smaller plumerias.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Sunny today and more buds opened up.

Andrew: I did grow a Thai Giant one year and it got absolutely huge, but was too difficult for me to winter-over. I think it needs high humidity and lots of light + temps over 55 degrees over winter (greenhouse) to do well. It probably needs to be kept growing in winter, otherwise it sort of shrinks down and declines. I don't have it any more.

kitnor:
    Penang is what I would classify as a 'semi-compact' grower. Not a 'dwarf', but certainly very do-able for pots. I can usually get it to bloom on 12" long branches (vs 2- or 3-foot long branches on Miami Rose).

Over maybe 4 or 5 years it does eventually get too large unless one does a lot of pruning. But when it gets too large, I just take cuttings and start over again. I would think in a warmer climate with a very long growing season, you would get more compact growth. If I were you, I would not hesitate giving it a try.

I did get some black tip on Penang this Spring, which I attribute to too cold temps on the floor of my garage as well as a very slow Spring warmup in our area. So, I would make sure you keep it warmer in winter.

If you don't have 'Divine', you should check into that one for pots. Really, I'd check into any of the Jungle Jack's dwarfs. But Penang has much larger blooms than the dwarfs.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 9:38

• kitnor
    9 years ago

Thanks for your response. You have been very helpful. I did order a 6 inch Penang Peach from Wild Bills Botanicals but ad said started from seed. Not sure if it will represent the true Penana Peach. JJ list on price list but does not show on website or catalog. Will have to keep looking to see if I can find a true Penang Peach to compare with my 6 inch one. I live in Fl. and you would think I could find one here but so far not any luck. If you ever have any cuttings to spare, let me know. I will keep looking.

I have 3 Divine and I love them but its hard to find something size wise I can handle. The nice, different ones usually get too big. I can't handle more than a 5 or 8 gallon pot. I usually do a lot of root cutting each year. Miami Rose is small? Will see if I can find one.

Thanks again
    Kitty

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kitty,

Miami Rose is not small. It is huge. My point was that each tip must grow at least 2 or 3 feet before it blooms. This gives you a very large plant with very few branchs or blooms. At least it did that in pots for me.

A seedling is NOT going to be Penang Peach. Plumerias do not grow true from seed. It may be nice, but it's not going to genetically be the same variety. To get a real clone, it needs to be either rooted or grafted from a true Penang Peach.

Good that you have Divine, as it's one of the most compact. If Divine is too large for you, you'll need to grow these in the ground rather than in pots!

I won't have cuttings of Penang for a few years. But I'm sure there are vendors out there who sell Penang.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!